Quantcast

What's the most powerful / snappy brake you've used?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I dont understand people complaining about gustavs. 1st gen was crappy but the next gen levers had decent modulation. Id say better than saints.

Also - didnt brembo release a bike brake some time ago?

As for gatorbrake i tried these :

They had huge free lever throw and right near the bar they catapulted you otb. My friend swears he loves his but I think he just likes strange bikes as he still rides a ca 2000 rotec frame with a magura big un fork...

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
didnt brembo release a bike brake some time ago?
Yes they have but they where extremly expensive it was arround 1100 euro per set,at the lbs a set of Formula's The ones costed almost the same as the brembo's when you throw goodridge lines + 9'' Formula floating rotors & Ti hardware for the calipers.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
1: saint new
2: old hayes mag
3: hope mini (slightly old)
4: old hope E4

modulation of mag sucks! on and off. Saint felt grabby at first for sure, I think with other type of pads, it'd work nice. Im gonna test weaker pad for rear saint brake.

Hopes have best modulation, but less powerful. I regretted a bit that I didnt bought V2 (but it was a bit more expensive, almost same as Formula) :p The strongest brake is not necessarily best.

Currently running Saint, I might not need to replace under long time

Last edited:

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
1 new Saint
2 old 4 pot XT with red EBC pads
3 Gustav. Maybe they were strongest but every time I rode them they were trying to stop a 55 lb Brooklyn with 3.0s

Are Saints with XTR levers less grabby or just lighter and sweeter feeling with the pistol trigger blades? I looove my new XTRs but they are the polar opposite...very spongy. Excellent control in the loose though.

Last edited:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Everyone I know with The Ones lets some oil out to make them less grabby, more mushy. Have you ever heard of a brake that needs that?
1. Formula The ONE (calipers: MY 08, MC's: MY11 w/ FCS adjusters)
2. Hayes Mags w/ Goodridge lines

I've been on Formulas for 4 seasons now and they have INSANE stopping power compared to most other brakes I've tried on other bikes. The Mags I had forever and they did their job but: 1) Zero modulation - either "On" or "Off" and the difference between these two modes of engagement was about 2 microns of lever throw. 2) Heated up quickly and produced fade 3) Lacked the power of the ONEs.

What you are referring to is "burping" the system. All this does is decrease the amount of fluid in the system to allow for increased lever throw. When doing this however, it is imperative to prevent air from entering the system. Personally I like mine topped off.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Used hope v2 with vented rotors today and they felt great and had lots of power. Great feel. May get a set soon.

Tedman

Monkey
Oct 27, 2009
Lebanon, PA
Hands down best brake I have used is my new Hayes Prime Pros! Effortless, completely adjustable, and light.
I thought the Hayes Stoker Aces were the sh*t until I grabbed a handful of Primes. Equally as strong with less effort in a twin caliper design.