Quantcast

whats the most you´d pay for a car, in terms of your income

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I didn't read this whole thread but....

Your monthly car payment should not exceed 18% (this is an industry figure) of your gross monthly pay. Above that % and you enter into a much higher chance of defaulting on your payments.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
It depends on how long you plan on keeping the car. I'd pay a lot more for a car that I thought I'd keep for 10 years than I would for a car I'd only keep for 3.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
I didn't read this whole thread but....

Your monthly car payment should not exceed 18% (this is an industry figure) of your gross monthly pay. Above that % and you enter into a much higher chance of defaulting on your payments.
This seems really high to me, but you are the one in the industry. I think in another thread mortgage payments were 41%. That's 60% of my gross salary.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
18% of gross would be a seriously high car payment. I can certainly see why the chance of defaulting increases.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I traded my 2005 Ford Ranger in on a 2007 Subaru that was 21,700. Since the Ford was paid for so my year note is just over $11,000.00 at $230.00 a month. I'd like to pay it off ass soon as possible so I'm putting down $500.00 a month. Thats around 7% pre tax.

Spending wads of cash on depreciating assets is not wise...

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
18% of gross would be a seriously high car payment. I can certainly see why the chance of defaulting increases.
I stretched myself to buy my truck at 17% of gross and it sucked...I'm down to ~8ish% now (many a raise since then) and it still sucks.

Edit: Yeah...I made the rookie "holy sh!t, I have money now!" mistake.:imstupid:

Edit 2: Doubly so since I bought a GM..:P

Doesn't quite suck as hard as the mortgage payment, but at least with that it's doing something for me rather than just depreciating like a two bit whore.