Quantcast

What's the new Bullit like?

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
I'm riding an old bullit, and was thinking of buying a newer used one, can anyone tell me what it rides like compared to an old style frame. the one I'm looking at has a floating brake, I think tht alone would be a great improvement to the ride.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I'm loving mine so far. Like you, my last bike was an old Bullit as well. I built the last one up as a light-ish (31 lbs) 6"/6" air sprung bike back in 2001, and everyone thought I was nuts to be trail riding something with that much travel. Fast forward 5 years, and that's the type of all-mountain bike everyone wanted.

I've got the new bike built up as a light-ish (32 lbs) 7"/7" air sprung bike, and everyone told me I was nuts once again. As it turns out, the thing rides sick. I use it for a ton of trail riding, dirt jumping, and occassional trips to the bike park. Switching back and forth between my DH bike (Cover Shocker/888) to the Bullit (Totem) feels kind of awkward due to the Bullit's steeper head angle (67* vs 64.5*), so I recently ordered up a shorter eye to eye shock for the Bullit in hopes of slacking it out a bit.

The bike's bomber, though. My last Bullit lasted a solid 7 years, and I'm hoping to get a similar life out of the new one. It's simple, reliable, and a ton of fun to ride. I won't be doing any xc races on it, but it shines on just about everything else.

Later,

John P.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think the new Bullit is influenced by the new skool all-mountain bikes with a 67 degree HA. If you are looking for an old skool dh bike, this is probably not it.

But plenty of people ride it for DH, so it should be all good.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
As compared to the old one you should notice quite a bit of change similar character as the old bike. They didn't want to screw up a good thing, so basically you get pretty much everything you like about your old bike and lots of good new stuff. Increased stiffness overall, including the front and rear end, especially with the new pivot set-up and the thru-axle rear. The updated pivot hardware is super easy to work with. The revised geometry and the 1.5 are both pretty sweet for long-travel single crown forks. The floater definitely works too, but to me isn't really needed unless you ride a lot of super chattery steep stuff. Super fun bike for sure.

Yeah, John P. is a little nuts, but he brings up a good point - the bullit is very versatile and can be built up as a burly but still relatively light trail bike, or a shorter travel DH bike.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm loving mine so far. Like you, my last bike was an old Bullit as well. I built the last one up as a light-ish (31 lbs) 6"/6" air sprung bike back in 2001, and everyone thought I was nuts to be trail riding something with that much travel. Fast forward 5 years, and that's the type of all-mountain bike everyone wanted.

I've got the new bike built up as a light-ish (32 lbs) 7"/7" air sprung bike, and everyone told me I was nuts once again. As it turns out, the thing rides sick. I use it for a ton of trail riding, dirt jumping, and occassional trips to the bike park. Switching back and forth between my DH bike (Cover Shocker/888) to the Bullit (Totem) feels kind of awkward due to the Bullit's steeper head angle (67* vs 64.5*), so I recently ordered up a shorter eye to eye shock for the Bullit in hopes of slacking it out a bit.

The bike's bomber, though. My last Bullit lasted a solid 7 years, and I'm hoping to get a similar life out of the new one. It's simple, reliable, and a ton of fun to ride. I won't be doing any xc races on it, but it shines on just about everything else.

Later,

John P.
I never new John P. was Canadian :poster_oops::biggrin::cheers:

bullitman

Chimp
Sep 15, 2008
I've had mine about a month and love it.Mine is on the heavy side 38lbs. But the damn thing is a tank,I have DHX5 coil in the rear and the standard Domain upfront its a decent shock,couple yrs I probably upgrade.I'm gonna get the floating brake set-up and I changed out the Tomac tires for Maxxis Minion DH 60a compound.2.35r/2.5 fr. I like these tires better than the Tomacs.Coming from a SC Superlight it's not the best trail bike,but it sure is fun on the downhill side.My biggest complaint is the squalling azz Juicy 5's,gonna readjust everything and get some new pads and hope this helps.All in all I'm pleased with my new ride.Question those running the floating brake will my XT fr.del.work with this set-up??

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Thanks for the info, you guys think I should keep or sell my fox van 36 (160mm)? I am using my bullit mainly for lift serve DH, I've podiumed every race I've ran on it. Shorter fork = less slack right?

I've rode every DH bike I could get my hands on this summer, the DHR is my favorite, the Sunday was awesome but I kept banging the cranks, and the giant glory felt awesome but not as fun as the sunday or stable as the DHR. For steep tech riding and bushwacking they feel weird, due to slow speed handling and when I get them out in the open they scare the schmidt out of me, due to being able to let off the breaks and let it run through the nastiest stuff.

So I am leaning towards a new Bullit for another season of DH, I can get a mid range Boxxer with it, but I love the Feel of the fox. and am getting better at taking air. I just think this bike is a good bike to have around as a do-all bike until I get my quiver figured out.

lowside67

Chimp
Sep 30, 2008
I have a new '09 Bullit frame on its way for my next ride. As a Vancouver resident, the North Shore is my playground. As such, mine is getting a 66 RC2X on the front, DHX 5.0 coil on the back for a nice even 7/7 bike. Target is 35lbs with supreme reliability - shouldnt be a problem, I'm a light 150lbs and fairly easy on equipment. I'll be sure to post my impressions once it's arrived and built, maybe by next weekend? :shocked:

lowside67

Chimp
Sep 30, 2008
Save yourself the long distance call. It says very clearly on the website that it is impossible to use a front derailleur with the floating brake option.