Quantcast

What's the REAL scoop on Fox 40s?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Because even the guys who have the forks and LOVE the forks, have issues with the forks. And that's not necessarily a "bad" thing, I like to tinker with stuff as much as the next guy. I just like to be able to grab my bike out wherever I stuffed it the night before and know it's ready to go and is the same bike I rode the previous day. So I could be the same as the die-hard Fox guys, just devoted and believe in Marzocchi.
But I guess I prob wouldn't rule out an 07/08 Fox 40.
But the 40s don't have ANY form of air assist? I think that would do a LOT for them and me. Anyone tried the lift the bike up and crack the top caps open, give it a little unloaded neutral pressure, so it's pressurized a touch when loaded?
The 40 doesn't have any oil seals in it. Doing an air mod like a boxxer would be a royal pain in the ass. All it has is foam rings to keep dirt out and a wiper to clean the stanchions. The cart is sealed, and that is where the real seals are as it isn't an open bath fork a la Marz.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Ahha! Thanks, man. I learned something today and it's only 10am!
So all you have to work with is the factory adjstments and spring weights? Kinda sounds like running a Fox Vanilla on 5:1 ratio bike..over sprung and vague feedback.
Haha...what about hollowing out an elastomer and popping it over the adj shaft? lol!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
do you understand how the adjustments work? i didn't till just a while back. now i can tune my 40 much closer to what i want it to be.

you actually want more LSC along with more HSC to reduce the bottoming, but of course, the best answer is the 07 dampers with much more bottoming out resistance.

explanation here
Thanks

I rode these forks with multiple springs and just about every single compression damper setting possible.:thumb:

They just don't work that well in my mind. There's a lot of adjustment to them but the 'right setting' doesn't fall in the range for what I'm looking for. And Castle's point is exactly on. EVERY YEAR they've claimed to up the bottom out resistance. If he and I were the only ones complaining about this I doubt fox would care. Even go-ride made some two stage springs to address this problem. Even if there were a modification that I knew about to give them some ramp up, I'd probably own one. But as of right now I don't know of a way to get them to perform the way I want. (edit: I don't want to pay for a new 40 AND the go ride springs right off the bat;))

It's also not just big guys. I weigh 165.

I will say this though. I've got some friends with them that other than replacing seals regularly, really like the things. But sitting on their bikes, they run their suspension stiffer than I like on a dh rig. So for them it works. For me, it doesn't.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Most of the replies to this thread remind me of people riding pro-flex bikes in the early 90's and vowing to never buy a full suspension bike.

If you are going to compare forks, then compare the latest version.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
What the hell are you talking about?? For one, this isn't a comparison thread. Second, the only forks I'VE been comparing them to are an 04 888 and an 06 66. If an 05/06 Fox can't compare, then guess what!
3rd, I started this thread with the intent of possibly trading my 66 for a Fox 40, year unknown at this point. Now I know which years are better than others, but it doesn't seem to even matter.

So basically, you want me to compare a new, off-the-shelf 08 Fox to an 04 marzocchi? Because all the Marzocchis have been equally as plush and equally as adjustable. Other than a few casting issues in 04, there's never been any real big surprises.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Thanks

I rode these forks with multiple springs and just about every single compression damper setting possible.:thumb:

They just don't work that well in my mind. There's a lot of adjustment to them but the 'right setting' doesn't fall in the range for what I'm looking for. And Castle's point is exactly on. EVERY YEAR they've claimed to up the bottom out resistance. If he and I were the only ones complaining about this I doubt fox would care. Even go-ride made some two stage springs to address this problem. Even if there were a modification that I knew about to give them some ramp up, I'd probably own one. But as of right now I don't know of a way to get them to perform the way I want. (edit: I don't want to pay for a new 40 AND the go ride springs right off the bat;))

It's also not just big guys. I weigh 165.

I will say this though. I've got some friends with them that other than replacing seals regularly, really like the things. But sitting on their bikes, they run their suspension stiffer than I like on a dh rig. So for them it works. For me, it doesn't.
like transcend said, take some time to adjust the internal bottom out settings. 05 to 06 there is barely any change in bottom out resistance. 07 there is HUGE change. if you still bottom out 07 forks then there is definitely something up with your riding. the go-ride springs were made pre 07. they are not needed, not for bottoming out, unless you like a progressive fork.

if your friends are replacing seals regularly, they most probably have worn bushings and should have it checked.

anyways, its seems like most of you on this thread have your mind made up on your opinion of the 40, so i am not going to bother trying to change it.

everyone has different riding styles, sometimes you get along with stuff, some times you dont.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
like transcend said, take some time to adjust the internal bottom out settings. 05 to 06 there is barely any change in bottom out resistance. 07 there is HUGE change. if you still bottom out 07 forks then there is definitely something up with your riding. the go-ride springs were made pre 07. they are not needed, not for bottoming out, unless you like a progressive fork.

if your friends are replacing seals regularly, they most probably have worn bushings and should have it checked.

anyways, its seems like most of you on this thread have your mind made up on your opinion of the 40, so i am not going to bother trying to change it.

everyone has different riding styles, sometimes you get along with stuff, some times you dont.
Jeesh.... I've only spent a little bit of time on the 07s and none of that fine tuning the fork, just borrowing some bikes for a run or two. In both cases the forks were setup too stiff for so not much info there, but I'll grant you the 07s may have fixed the bottom out problem.

But as far as the seals go...........I'm talking about brand new forks purchased at the beginning of last season that have CONSTANTLY needed new seals. At 19 I don't imagine you're too big of a guy and probably aren't subject to a lot of the complaints mentioned here. But there's a whole population of DHers in northern california whom I see every weekend with these forks in the summer. And as often as not, looking at a 40 means looking at all the dirt collected in the oil seeping out of the thing.

Trust me on this.

FWIW, the totem on my freeride bike has the same problem with its seals so don't think I've just got some personal vendetta against the fork you like.;) I just have yet to be impressed by ANY fox 40, and I've listed my reasons.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
i love my fox 40s. I have 2 2007s and have only a few complaints about them. The fork is great as a race fork and not a bad free ride fork. I have just two compliants about them they are to liner and they need to be serviced more then a marzz. That said they are the best fork out right now. Boxxers are still to flexy and marz just doesn't feel as smooth as a fox 40. I am very happy with the fox 40 it for some reason is not the cool fork. Thats fine with me I am not in this sport to be cool.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Jeesh.... I've only spent a little bit of time on the 07s and none of that fine tuning the fork, just borrowing some bikes for a run or two. In both cases the forks were setup too stiff for so not much info there, but I'll grant you the 07s may have fixed the bottom out problem.

But as far as the seals go...........I'm talking about brand new forks purchased at the beginning of last season that have CONSTANTLY needed new seals. At 19 I don't imagine you're too big of a guy and probably aren't subject to a lot of the complaints mentioned here. But there's a whole population of DHers in northern california whom I see every weekend with these forks in the summer. And as often as not, looking at a 40 means looking at all the dirt collected in the oil seeping out of the thing.

Trust me on this.

FWIW, the totem on my freeride bike has the same problem with its seals so don't think I've just got some personal vendetta against the fork you like.;) I just have yet to be impressed by ANY fox 40, and I've listed my reasons.
sorry if i come across as being defensive, just trying to have a discussion thats all.

yupp, i am a tiny guy. my 40s have always weeped oil out of the seals, even with the new lowers and seals i got from mojo a few weeks back. i dont think thats considered a blown seal. its just the way the 40s work.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
sorry if i come across as being defensive, just trying to have a discussion thats all.

yupp, i am a tiny guy. my 40s have always weeped oil out of the seals, even with the new lowers and seals i got from mojo a few weeks back. i dont think thats considered a blown seal. its just the way the 40s work.
Isn't the very slight amount of oil on the stanctions there for lubrication?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Preventing bottomout in the last inch of travel or whatever is not really the same as "progressive" travel. It's then only progressive for that last inch. Not quite the same thing as "progressive" would apply to the entire stroke.

Anyhow (not directed at the above poster), I love a good fight. Game on!

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
So you guys are saying for a "fat kid" like me, the 07's would prob be the best choice as far as bottom out control goes?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I'd say if you are seeing oil coming out of the top of your seals, get the fork looked at. I have not seen this happen on either of my 40RC2.

On a side note: If you turn the bike upside down for a bit before riding, the oil foam rings will get re-soaked and the fork will be plusher.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Anyone ever noticed that nearly every thread I start, mostly out of boredom, turns into a 5-6 page saga? And I usually tend to duck out at like...page 3?
Very strange...
Watch. I'm gonna start another one...

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Preventing bottomout in the last inch of travel or whatever is not really the same as "progressive" travel. It's then only progressive for that last inch. Not quite the same thing as "progressive" would apply to the entire stroke.

Anyhow (not directed at the above poster), I love a good fight. Game on!
yea, i get what you mean. it comes down to what each person would think is a better set up for dh. linear spring with damping to stop bottoming, or less damping and a progressive spring to stop bottoming.

a bit of progression is good, but forks like the old z1, say around 05 were super plush in the first couple of inches, then blew through its travel due to the lack of damping and then ramped up towards the end. makes a great fork for hucking, but nothing else.

i cant comment on how the 888s are these days coz i haven't ridden one, i guess if you get the progression right its acceptable. but too much and its just a joke, IMO not the solution to stop bottoming out.

MttyTee

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Back on the east coast!
From what I've seen the hydraulic bottom-out cone on the 07's is probably a bit less effective than the older versions. It's the same size and shape but has small holes drilled in it, probably to help the bleed procedure. What everyone most likely is referring to when saying bottom resistance is the fact that on the 07+ model they have restricted the distance that a compression check shim can open on the main (moving) piston, which will give the fork much more mid speed or mid stroke damping. Basically slowing the fork down a bit as it's moving through the travel so it's not at top speed when it gets toward the bottom.

In terms of linear vs progressive I wouldn't say the fork is any-less progressive than any else, at least in stock form, it would be nice to be able to adjust it like others. But the internal air volume vs the displaced oil volume is similar. I have no way of quantifying this other than a visual comparison but if I had to make a guess I would guess the Fox to be the same if not a bit more progressive than others, again in stock form.

That being said I think the fork is light on damping straight across the board, for those riders who think it bottoms too easily or the heavier guys interested, try it with the LSC adjuster all the way in or a 1/2 turn out from max. Lighter guys start with the HSC all the way open, heavier guys start 1 full turn in from all the way open.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i cant comment on how the 888s are these days coz i haven't ridden one, i guess if you get the progression right its acceptable. but too much and its just a joke, IMO not the solution to stop bottoming out.
That doesn't really make sense though. You're suggesting that a fork should blow through most of it's travel and then change rates to prevent bottomout? That's what it sounds like, because the "progressive" nature of a fork doesn't have to be provided by an adjustable air spring/volume, but it's one way to do it and a pretty simple/effective way, but not the only way. If a progressive fork is not a good solution, what the heck is?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
any fork blowing through its travel is crap, you use the compression damping to stop that happening. not the progressiveness of the spring. the bottom out cone is for those hard hits that you cant really do anything about. with that set up you get more usable travel.

just my 0.02

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i have two of them a 2005 and a 2007. i did crack the arch on one of them but since i got new lowers its perfect again. i love it and will continue to use them until there is a cane creek double barrel fork.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
I just have yet to be impressed by ANY fox 40, and I've listed my reasons.
That's because you haven't tested my custom "Sky Valved" DH40 that was designed for teh ultimate HuxXor!!
It feels like you are riding a jack hammer down the mountain, but it takes 25+ foot drops like a Champion!!!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
haha! I've never seen you huckin, Zach! Pics, foo...
Of course...huckin a 40 has to say atleast a LITTLE something about em? I'm assumin you're droppin an 08? Just thinking that maybe they've finaly got the fragile casting issues resolved, or anyone still seen busted 08s floatin to the top?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
haha! I've never seen you huckin, Zach! Pics, foo...
Of course...huckin a 40 has to say atleast a LITTLE something about em? I'm assumin you're droppin an 08? Just thinking that maybe they've finaly got the fragile casting issues resolved, or anyone still seen busted 08s floatin to the top?
That casting issue was in the original forks from 05, and the castings were produced in 04. There was a number on the back of them that gave it away.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Yeah, I learned that from this thread or the other, but I didn't know they TOTALLY fixed it, thought it was still happening?
"4s" were the bad apples, right? Then 5s and 6s were OK?

So...can you change the oil in the 40s? Anyone have a cut-a-way diagram(sp?) of a 40??
I'm not quite understanding how they work apparently. ALL I know is Marzocchi. You open em up, dump out the oil, pull out the cartridges. I read(from you, I think) the the Foxs' aren't open bath, that they have sealed cartridges(right?)...but what are the foam rings and leaky seals about then? HELP?
The good news is that I might still want to try a Fox. I'm not against trying something new, I LIKE new things, but the good points have to outweigh the hassle. Broken arches threw it out of my ring earlier.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
That casting issue was in the original forks from 05, and the castings were produced in 04. There was a number on the back of them that gave it away.
While I am a Marzocchi fan true and through, I will add to this that Marzocchi also had Casting issues with early 888's. More specifically oil leaking through the lowers, they were great about fixing them, and havent had the problem since........

I really like Both the 40 and the 888, but for myself at 245, I will take the 888. I personally prefer the progession of the 888 over the 40. I think I said it already, But I have seen them all in the shop. All with there diferent "quirks"

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Gents.
Im a long term boxxer rider converted to a fox 40, picked up an M6 with a 40 on it. Loving it so far, and ive spent my last few rides dialing in my revox which Im finally satisfied with.
Im about 180 with gear maybye a bit more and I find the Spring soft, but I think the Green spring, the step above the blue thats in it might be a bit to stiff. I have my preload off, High speed open and low speed about 5 clicks. Feels pretty good, defenitley different then a boxxer so im just getting used to it. Ive noticed though im not getting the last inch of travel, im not sure if its because im not hitting stuff that woudl use it, or if its not available.

My question is, how do you adjust the internal bottom out? Think this is the issue?

Cheers.

Chris.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Take any of this as you please - this is only my personal opinion and I'm not some internet kid who sticks to their purchasing decision, purely because of the sake of argument or the means to buy something else better (a kid who can only afford a Kona stinky will swear it's the best bike ever etc pinkbike-esque scenario)

Many of my friends have had 40's and have all moved over to Boxxers gradually, due to the sheer amount of maintenance and inopportune times for them to die. They feel good when they are in good shape, but they don't stay that way for long.

One of said friends's 40's lasted 6 (2010 version) months of 1 ride a week usage in UK summer conditions (i.e: nothing rough), till they just completely died with no small bump sensitivity in the slightest.

I rode on another friend's Kashima coated 40's only last week and thought the felt nothing short of terrible. (he weighs around the same as me). They felt dead and lifeless, dull and I was was shocked at their performance in general.
I own a pair of BOS Idylle forks for reference.

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Jeremy, I'm not a BOS importer, nor affiliated with them in any ways.
I am just a software designer who now sells Morewood bikes online part time, which come with BOS gear on it. R53 is the UK importer for BOS.
http://www.r53engineering.com/

Me would be this gheyboi if you don't believe me
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/deon-fouche/1/913/44b

Not sure why you'd want to try and bash me as I have only tried to help you, including calling my distributors out of my own pocket today (they are based in Germany) just for your linkage bolts.

If you think I'm being deceptive, then go ahead - I don't argue pver the internet any more as we all know that leads to sweet FA

IH8Rice - yeap, like I said this was examples purely from my riding crowd, it might not be the same for the gen pop.

OP: this is a pic of my mate's Summum with the kashima that I rode,

Hated it (not the bike, the forks.. the bike is awesome!)

I would much rather ride another mate of mine's 2008 Boxxers, that have been serviced and tuned by Danny Hart's mechanic. I have also tried other Boxxers (rc2c I believe?) and they felt mint. Forget BOS if you feel I'm being too biased, Boxxers or the new Marzocchi's is what you want.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've found that if I wipe off the stanchions after each ride and store my bike upside down as recommended my 09 40 feels perfect for a looooooong time. I've blown the bladder once, which I wasn't stoked about; but it sounds like the new cartridge has solved that issue.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Not sure why you'd want to try and bash me as I have only tried to help you, including calling my distributors out of my own pocket today (they are based in Germany) just for your linkage bolts.
Not bashing man, just jiving.
We have had a vastly different experience than yours however with the 40.
We have 7 guys all on 2011 40's, grinning ear to ear and knocking down runs.