Quantcast

What's this frame worth?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I'm looking at a 2002 Giant NRS3 frame with Rockshox SID rear shock to build up into a nice little short travel bike. It's in good shape, less than 500 miles on it, small chip in the chainstay paint (the size of a dime) and a small ding in the top tube.

What do you folks think this frame is worth?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Ok, I was offered a Mountaincycles Zen with thompson layback post, stock post, shock, salsa flip-lock for $350? Any thoughts?

Not sure I wanted 4" travel, but I suppose I could firm up the shock and work with it that way.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
robdamanii said:
Ok, I was offered a Mountaincycles Zen with thompson layback post, stock post, shock, salsa flip-lock for $350? Any thoughts?

Not sure I wanted 4" travel, but I suppose I could firm up the shock and work with it that way.

What is the eventual goal of getting a smaller bike for you? Also, 'stiffening' the shock will make it suckier.

edit: Also note that MC is gone and so is 5th. You can buy the frame new from Greenfish for ~800$

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Tame Ape said:
What is the eventual goal of getting a smaller bike for you? Also, 'stiffening' the shock will make it suckier.

edit: Also note that MC is gone and so is 5th. You can buy the frame new from Greenfish for ~800$
Basically to build something up that's lighter than the 33 pound trailbike (like to get into 28lb range) and more racey.

Perhaps replacing the shock with a platform shock instead?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
robdamanii said:
Basically to build something up that's lighter than the 33 pound trailbike (like to get into 28lb range) and more racey.

Perhaps replacing the shock with a platform shock instead?
Stop spending money man and run what ya brung! Put together a XC HT on the cheap and put the moneypit off for a little while longer.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I really quite like the NRS frame for XC. Combined with the SID shock it works pretty good too I thought. It does exactly what it says on the packet.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Tame Ape said:
Stop spending money man and run what ya brung! Put together a XC HT on the cheap and put the moneypit off for a little while longer.
Noooo on the hardtail. MUCH too rough on my back. That's the main reason I went to FS in the first place, and I'm able to ride so much longer in comfort because of that.

I've got a bunch of spare parts, that's one of the reasons to look for a new frame. All I'd need would be some grips, chain and bottom bracket to make it work for the time being.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
A Zen for $350 isn't a bad deal, per se... It'll ride a helluva lot better than an NRS. But, there are better ones to be had. I sold a GT IDXC with the DT Swiss rear shock a year and a half ago for that much, and it was nicer than the Zen...keep looking, grasshopper.