Quantcast

What's up with Craig's List scammers?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I posted my truck for sale this morning and within 2 hours, I've gotten 4 emails all in this format:

Hello.....how are you? am interested in your post on craigslist...is it available? let me know the present condition.....and the picture of it...and also get back with your mailing address so that we can arrange for the payment.........i await your quick reply to my mail.....
best regards

John...
Jackass, the condition, pictures, and price are all listed in the ad. Do people actually fall for this crap?

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
I thinkth CL tools have no life ,how about the women for men adds ,I check them just to chuckle ,they are crazy ,btw ,don`t put addy` just a phone # ,and only the real peeps will call

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A friend of mine who was newly single used to surf the CL personals. That is like an online dive bar, it's awesome.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
When I was car shopping a few weeks ago I ran across a last-gen RX7 for $5k. It looked mildly promising, the price was cheap but not ridiculously so, and the ad was written in English, car had local plates, and the description seemd not very form-lettery. Emailed a few questions and got back a wire transfer scam...guy claimed to be stationed at a USAF base in Kentucky and wanted all the money wired to him, and he would arrange for delivery of the car. Ha. I think he might've been local, as there wasn't any broken English or odd phrasing going on...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Up here they have a problem with hookers advertising on CL

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just had someone offer me $150 in check form for a $100 table. When I told him to bring cash he just hung up on me.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
When I was car shopping a few weeks ago I ran across a last-gen RX7 for $5k. It looked mildly promising, the price was cheap but not ridiculously so, and the ad was written in English, car had local plates, and the description seemd not very form-lettery. Emailed a few questions and got back a wire transfer scam...guy claimed to be stationed at a USAF base in Kentucky and wanted all the money wired to him, and he would arrange for delivery of the car. Ha. I think he might've been local, as there wasn't any broken English or odd phrasing going on...
AFB in Kentucky... hahaha!

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/statefacts/blky.htm