Quantcast

What's wrong with America's cross country?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I noticed the top finishs for the Americans was 15th and 19th, and some of my favs like Adam Craig and Mary McConneloug arrived more than 10 minutes behind.

What is wrong with XC here? And what can be done to change this?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Cycling isn't a part of the culture. People start racing later, get serious later and then don't have the competition level there is in Europe. The depth is just much higher there for mtn and road.

I guess promoting cycling is the best solution.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Number one issue is cash which most likely needs to come from non-endemic sources. No secret that kids in the US are lazy and the best athletes would rather go for a big pay day on the baseball diamond or football field. Even running track or swimming will pay better through endorsements, special events, etc. Even Freecaster with their great coverage of the DH World Cups this year doesn't even acknowledge that XC was even going on at the same venue. No media exposure, no cash, no medals at Worlds. The last time US riders were consistently at the top (XC or DH) there was a lot more money (motivation) in the sport.

Lack of competition at home is also a big part of it. Precious few can travel to the races where there is good competition and those that can are at the limits of their resources meaning no extra time/money for training (see reason number 1 above). Promoting cycling in an attractive way through real media exposure with the cash to back it up and the US will be back at the top.

We've been working with Mike & Mary for several years and to compete at the level they do while taking care of everything themselves is quite amazing. That said, Mary has been planning her training all year long to peak for the Olympics and hopefully it pays off.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
You failed to note that Georgia Gould got 9th. Plus, she has been doing consititently well in the World Cup!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Part of me believes that many of the top Euros are doping, but I don't that is the case with the Swiss.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I agree with the comments above about cash....in the U.S. its hard to scrape a living as a professional cyclist, regardless of the event. I have a friend who won the pro marathon title two years ago and I think he is leading the NUE series, he has never received a paycheck...all hobby for him. Another local guy is a pro roadie and only recently was able to cut a check from that profession. For every pro roadie/xc/dh rider that gets paid there are a lot that starve

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Late 90's mtb race promoters are to blame. They simultaneously upped entry fees and dumped payouts. It is no coincidence that most of the USA's top road racers under the Age of 30 grew up racing mountainbikes....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What place did you come in?
Oh, I didn't race in the World Championships, just like yourself. But I am a mountain bike coach and USACycling member.

Does that entitle me to have an opinion?

P.S. I also like to discuss NBA, NFL, and UFC, but I never played in any of those leagues either.