Quantcast

What's wrong with Boost?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
It is not compatible with any of the other standards they throw down our throats.

If my hub will easily convert I am in favor of it for the same reasons I am in favor of the 157 standard for DH. (the whole slots in the frame helping to keep the wheel aligned and not relying 100% on the axle part)

If current parts can be "updated" with out having to start 100% fresh, then I don't mind. the $20 it cost me to upgrade my hope evo II from 150-157 didn't make me sad.

But if I have to buy a whole new hub after building a wheelset, that makes me sad.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I just want to hear it. Let the hate flow. I know it's 2.14% stiffer, I don't care, I want people to shit on it.
I think it's mostly frustrating that they couldn't engineer their way into using an existing standard.
I'd be curious to know the percentage of people that actually swap frames these days. I used to constantly, but I think in our age of incompatibility that it usually just makes sense for me to sell the complete and buy another complete.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That travelling with bikes is already a pain and then they want to make the damn things wider...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think it's mostly frustrating that they couldn't engineer their way into using an existing standard.
I'd be curious to know the percentage of people that actually swap frames these days. I used to constantly, but I think in our age of incompatibility that it usually just makes sense for me to sell the complete and buy another complete.
that's exactly what the bike industry wants

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the problem with boost 148 is less of what it is, but what it represents - a new "standard" that's anything but. so far the only ones on board are trek / sram? that isn't a standard, that's proprietary.

i'm officially coining the term "standard fatigue". between hubs (5+ now?), bottom brackets (4 or 5), chainrings (at least 7), head tubes/headsets (haven't even counted), it's fucking absurd.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
just a point of clarity here - was the 142 hub standard actualy wider flanges on the shell? or just a few extra mm on the axle sleeve to compensate for the slots/grooves on the dropouts?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Actually had to search to find out what the fuck BOOST even is.

Google threw up this little gem... "According to stats from the manufacturers, a 29″ rear wheel with a 148mm hub has the same stiffness as a 27.5″ wheel with a 142mm hub"

Sounds flexy

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah. For the last time, 150 vs. 148 is NOT a fair comparison. 150 has wide flanges but no axle extension allowing it to locate into the frame. Take flange spacing of 150, add in axle extensions, and get 157mm spacing. Take 'normal' flange spacing, add axle extensions, get 142mm spacing. 148 is halfway between 142 and 157.

That said, it's still downright insulting that the bike industry decided we need it. They're telling us bigger wheels need more stiffness. Fine. You had a perfectly good 36 spoke standard that would fit in any frame currently on the market, not require a whole new q-factor and crank spec, and yet you did... this.

I'm not sure which is worse. The fact that bike industry 'engineers' are so stupid, or the fact they think we are...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Actually had to search to find out what the fuck BOOST even is.

Google threw up this little gem... "According to stats from the manufacturers, a 29″ rear wheel with a 148mm hub has the same stiffness as a 27.5″ wheel with a 142mm hub"

Sounds flexy
and the whole goal was to make the wheels as stiff as 26".

they clearly forgot another option to wider flanges and wider hubs is taller flanges.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Nothing wrong with it, but I don;t get why they don't just make bikes 150mm out back, all of them, and get it over and done with. The reason for the spacing out back has something to do with single ring set ups right?

Now that we're all going 1x on all bikes, would a universal 150mm not be best? I'm no bike designer, so might be talking complete shyte.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I know less than fuck-all about lots of things, but extra less about wheel design. So with that in mind, I took it as basically a way to try to make wagon wheels stiffer (even if the average gay dentist can't/won't notice) and also a way for frame manus to design around the new Cracker Barrel tires and rims (fat fuck and almost fat fuck tires). I give no poops about either, as I'm going to pinkbike-luddite it as long as they still have 26" tires available and/or I don't don't go full gay and start hunting lions after receiving my DDS.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I know less than fuck-all about lots of things, but extra less about wheel design. So with that in mind, I took it as basically a way to try to make wagon wheels stiffer (even if the average gay dentist can't/won't notice) and also a way for frame manus to design around the new Cracker Barrel tires and rims (fat fuck and almost fat fuck tires). I give no poops about either, as I'm going to pinkbike-luddite it as long as they still have 26" tires available and/or I don't don't go full gay and start hunting lions after receiving my DDS.
I think you're lion about a few things here

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Easy there buddy, I just bought a new DDS-2000 Hunting Drone. So now I can obliterate all sorts of "dangerous" animals from the comfort of my leather bound book library. I double dare you to wear a zebra print TLD kit. :butcher:
You buy it, and I'll wear that shit! haha

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I do switch parts occasionally between bikes, when something fails and you don't have a backup.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I do switch parts occasionally between bikes, when something fails and you don't have a backup.
Exhibit A - Moto wheels: the aftermarket manufacturers of wheels will often have ONE SINGLE HUB SHELL that they'll use for the front, and another single they will use for the rear.

IT WILL FIT ALL MANUFACTURERS FRAMES/FORKS WITH ADAPTERS FOR AXLE/ROTORS/SPROCKET.

Imagine that?!? One goddamn wheelset. Modular. Fits all applications. No farting around trying to match up hubs to frames and forks, with the exception of the cast OEM hubs.

Exhibit B - Mountain bike wheels: Take the above description. Apply the inverse. Why? Because them bicycle engineers DEFINITELY know what they're doing, no matter what anyone says. They are their own breed. Unique, irreplaceable and with infinite vision of what the market needs, even if it doesn't ever realize it. Efficiency, top to bottom. Explicitly obvious in every product.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Because them bicycle engineers DEFINITELY know what they're doing, no matter what anyone says. They are their own breed. Unique, irreplaceable and with infinite vision of what the market needs, even if it doesn't ever realize it. Efficiency, top to bottom. Explicitly obvious in every product.
Which is why they are paid below market wages. Nothing but the best will do!