Quantcast

What's your favorite $10 or less wine?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Jest Red California Table Wine

Giddy pleasure, leaping grace... this red wine, blended from seven noble grape varietals, was crushed by the syrinic hymn of 69 beautiful women, reaching for the high note in the wee light of dawn one misty October day. The nose is deeply perfumed with wild dewberries, Himalayan breeding musk and horehound candy, while the flavors, so titillating they may only be disclosed in the Ecstatic Singing Mantra, will remain cloaked in silence until the bottle is uncorked. Sip delicately, sing with abandon.
We always have 3 or 4 bottles on hand. I can't remember the last time where we drank one bottle and didn't drink a second.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Thunderbird. I can buy two of 'em for less than $10 & yell at tourists at the beach!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I live in SF where everything is more expensive. A $10 bottle here is closer to $7 or $8 in other parts of the country, so a decent red is hard to find. Rosemount offers a number of different red blends that are pretty consistent. They use cabernet as well as rhone varietals like shiraz, grenache, and mourvedre. For whites, it shouldn't be hard to find decent sauvignon blanc in that range. Bogle's S.B. is pretty tasty as an everyday drinker. Also, it's good to get to know a local shop - many wine shops have a "$10 and under" bin and are happy to make suggestions.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
The one that used to be our house red was Santa Cristina Sangiovese. (An Antinori wine)
$9.99 at Safeway.
The 2004 wasn't as good as the vintages before though so I can't say for sure since I haven't had it since that release.

Been sticking with WA wines lately. My offsite wine storage is packed with it. Just bought a case of this long, lost Bordeux
It's amazing but not in the $10 range...

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
When I lived in RI we used to go the Sakonette vinyards in Little Compton.

First white that my wife ever liked was their america's cup white. They have a few othrs (but I've forgotten their names) that we liked as well.

Not bad for a little vinyard in RI!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We enjoyed a bottle of Cycles Gladiator Syrah with a pizza last night, it was $11. Good fruit forward black cherry and peppery kinda thing, and ya gotta love the label.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
We enjoyed a bottle of Cycles Gladiator Syrah with a pizza last night, it was $11. Good fruit forward black cherry and peppery kinda thing, and ya gotta love the label.
Hah, my dad bought a bottle of that for me last time I was up visiting him, just because of the label. It was pretty good, but it was worth buying even if it was bad, just for the label :p

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
my recent picks....

Pillar Box Red-proprietary blend of shiraz, cab & merlot. this one will blow your sox off & make you never want to spend more than a J-Davis on a bottle of wine...EVER.

Garnacha de Fuego-If you believe in all that scoring crap...Bob Parker gave it a 92 & it is a $7 Spanish wine that is pleasing to the most discriminating palate.

Bitch Grenache- From the same importer (Dan Phillips of Grateful Palate fame) of Pillar Box. Not just a marketing gimmick this bitch rocks the party.

Viña Alabra Old Vine Grenache- I dont know who does Grenache better the Aussies or the Spanish, i guess it depends on if you want an old world style wine or new world. This is another Spanish 'MUST' for your list.

Trumpeter Malbec- From Argentina. Big, Brooding, Dark, Bombastic, $9...& it makes you use caps a lot for no reason.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
it's kinda local, so not sure if it's available everywhere... but Montevina Barbera. Carried at all of the grocery stores here. Very very good.

I still can't believe it's under 10$.