Quantcast

Whats your tire setup?

ricrellim

Chimp
Aug 19, 2008
Colorado
I am sure this has been done a few times but doing a search for these keywords returns a bunch of junk.

I would like to know what you guys are running. The setup I currently have just doesnt seem right to me.

Front: Minion 2.6
Rear: Big Earl 2.7 (reversed direction)

The bike was already setup like this when I bought it but I feel the larger tire should be on the front.

Last year I just rode Nevegal 2.35 Stick-E's on both front and rear and was happy with that.

ricrellim

Chimp
Aug 19, 2008
Colorado
oh yeah I didnt mention riding conditions. I will most likely spend 90% of my riding at Sol Vista Bike Park. I would call it dry & sometimes sandy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I just ordered a set of minions DHF/DHR 2.5 in 3C compound, based mostly on reviews by others. I hope they perform as expected.

I have ridden nevegals a few times and have been very pleased, despite spotty reviews (some love, some hate).

ricrellim

Chimp
Aug 19, 2008
Colorado
Do you run your rear tire in the reverse direction? Is there any reason to run a tire bigger than a 2.5? Im kind of a DH newbie.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
2.7 Maxxis any compound or pattern. Don't like the HR on the front though....

MinionF, MinionR is preferred set-up though....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Depends where you ride. There are certain very rocky courses that a 2.7 floats better on or can give you better traction.

I'm kind of poor, so I only bought one pair of tires. If you can afford more than one, I'd probably keep a 2.7 around for the front for some courses. Then again, tire compounds have come a long way, so I'd be willing to wager I'll be more than excited with the 2.5 maxxis compared to my old...cough....nokian tires.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
DHF front and rear. It can get a bit packed up with mud, but that doesn't sound like it'll be a problem for you. Run the newest tire in the front (i.e., when your rear tire wears out, toss it; throw your front tire on the rear, and put a new tire on the front). Don't bother running them backwards.

Maxxis tires run really narrow. If you race, or if your riding doesn't involve too many pinch flat inducing sharp and jagged rocks, or if you're not too heavy, you might want to stick with 2.5". For most of my riding (I don't race, I weigh 210 w/o gear, and I ride lots of sharp gnarly rocks), I like the Maxxis 2.7 (which are like most other manufacturers 2.5s).

The best thing to do is watch the fast riders on the hill and see what they're running. Chances are it'll be variations on a theme. Over at Bromont we see lots of DHF and DHRs, a smattering of High Rollers, and a few Michelins (can't remember which ones). I'd look around in the line-ups and see what most people are running.

Good luck

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
For DH:

Specialized Chunder in the rear (2.3 - Enduro casing).
Specialized Clutch in the front (2.3, single-ply casing).

For AM/FR:

Weirwolf 2.3 single-ply front/rear. Only because I don't' have anything else laying around at the moment.

shakedown

Aug 27, 2007
Atlanta
Clutch 2.5, rode 1 time at windrock last weekend
clutch 2.3
both dual ply

so far me likes alot so far. better braking then dhf, same cornering as dhf, wear is better too.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
2.5 Intense FRO Lite 909 Front
2.35 Intense EXDC 909 Rear

They shed mud, hook up in most conditions, and both are really cheap right now at Jenson.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Minion DHF SuperTacky in the front
High Roller 3C in the rear, I would have rather put a SuperTacky on the rear but they didn't have one in stock when I bought these.

Both are 2.5s and I was running super ghetto tubeless but have since gone back to a tube in the rear.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Bontrager Big Earl 2.6 front, 2.5 rear.
I ride mostly on the Shore in all conditions and I really like these tires. They hook up on pretty much anything.

No real need to go more than 2.5 - I just got the 2.6 for cheap.

I run the Intense EXDC on my hardtail, but they are not so great for the shore. I pinch flatted first run out.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Currently running a 2.5 3C or super tacky DHF up front and a 2.35 super tacky DHF on the rear both dual ply, it's the best setup I've tried so far on my DH bike and use it for 99% of my riding, swapping to 2.2 wet screams if the weather gets seriously horrible.

2.35 60a single ply Bling Blings on my hardtail.

ricrellim

Chimp
Aug 19, 2008
Colorado
Its crazy how many different combinations & opinions there are. I guess its all about trial & error.
So it seems that most of you guys are running the tires in the normal direction. Since my rear is already mounted backwards I think I will keep it that way a while but why would you put the rear in reverse to begin with? I would assume it would have to do with braking.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
For DH i ride a 2.7 Minion front on my front wheel, and my old minion front on the rear. I just buy a new front tire each season depending on how much i ride.

For my trail bike, i have a 2.4 Panaracer up front, and a WTB Graffiti out back. I like the fast rolling rear tires that drift a little bit.

Pelle

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008
Maxxis Swampthing ST 2.5 front and rear, really good for the loamy natural tracks i ride most right now. Mucho lighter then Minons too.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Finally converted my Glory FR1 to ghetto tubeless...threw on the only tires I had lying around - Kenda Telonix 2.6 Stick E front, Maxxis Ardent 3C 2.6 rear - first ride was on super loose silty dirt - that combo was pretty much terrifying. The front had insane traction but hated directional changes - and the Ardent, well, its built for drifting. They never agreed with each other.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
trail:

Minion F 2.35 singleply front, Ardent 2.25 singleply rear

DH:

Minion F 2.5 front, High Roller 2.5 rear

all in Maxxpro60, sticky stuff wears too fast for me.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
UST Minion DHF's front and rear...

I'm going to maybe try some Tioga White Tigers for the fact I can get them for half of the price. They'll be way heavier and the side lugs will probably rip off, but I don't ride my full DH bike a lot lately and these are really cheap right now... I've never tried them.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
UST Minion DHF's front and rear...

I'm going to maybe try some Tioga White Tigers for the fact I can get them for half of the price. They'll be way heavier and the side lugs will probably rip off, but I don't ride my full DH bike a lot lately and these are really cheap right now... I've never tried them.
It's been a while since I've tried anything from them, but my experience with Tioga tires is that they suck donkey balls. The Factory DH that I tried once was probably the scariest tire I've ever ridden. It squirmed horribly under cornering in anything except deep mud. You had no idea where the front end of the bike was going. It felt like you had a flat, no matter how hard you inflated it. Grip also sucked, those things would have no trouble washing out on dry pavement, under even moderate cornering. And they rolled like they were square. I really can't say anything good about them.

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
Kenda Excavators.

2.5's on big bike and 2.3's on the little bike. I've been on all previous meaty Kenda tires and hated them all. These are different.... they feel like cheating. One note: I'll run a 2.35 Larsen or Cortez on the back of the AM bike in dry fast conditions, but only if I manage to get off my fat ass to change it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Specialized Clutch SX 2.3" front and rear for local stuff.

Maxxis Minion 2.5" 3C DH-Fs will be in order for lift-accessed riding this summer.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
DH: Maxxis singleply Minion DHF and DHR with dh tubes for local stuff, Minion 3C DHF, Wetscream Super Tacky, Swampthing Super Tacky, or HighRoller 3C, in any combo, for the races/ sweet stuff (Whistler). I think I may switch to Schwalbe or Continental for next year, I've ridden a couple of the Schwalbe's and I've come away pretty impressed. I want to get some time on Der Kaiser by Conti. Similar tread pattern to the Minion but at a much lighter weight.

Trail: Michelin All Terrain 2.2 (look like a 2.35) light weight (surprisingly) and hook up good in loose, and muddy conditions
Kenda Small Block 8 2.35 for the dry dusty stuff, roll super fast but are kinda sketch as far as traction, and paper thin sidewalls, but they seem to hold up alright for most of my xc rides, and they are light.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
It's been a while since I've tried anything from them, but my experience with Tioga tires is that they suck donkey balls.
Thanks for the heads up. Like I said, these are so cheap it's crazy... My co-worker gives the White Tigers glowing reviews and says they're the "best DH tire out there."

In a strange way I hope they suck because he won't stop talking about how awesome they are! I don't think he's even tried Minions, but he gets stuck on something and won't try anything else. I have more of an open mind to try new parts. :redface:

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
I'm running a High Roller 60A 2.5 rear with a Hutchinson Baracuda 2.5 35A front. I like it pretty loose on the rear and i noticed the front will grip better on a wet rock rather than on a dry rock (i don't know why but i like it :) ).

I'm pretty happy with the setup but i'm pissed i sold the other Baracuda that came with the bike - such a great piece of rubber.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Where I ride, anything dual ply with a sticky rubber works well.

We have shale, loose sand, loose gravel, couple roots here and there, nothing out of hand though, we have dry condition about 80% of the year, Corners are generally loose. Alot of baby head size loose rocks. Did I mention that most everything around here is loose in some way or another?

I came to learn some time ago, rear tire slide is just something you have to get used to in Socal, no matter what your rear tire is going to be sliding. I keep the front air pressure at about 30 psi for all conditions, I will vary the rear pressure for what I am doing, belive it or not I run about 45Psi racing at FOntana for the lower rolling resitance. Where as when I am hammering up at Angelous oaks, I will rung as low as 25. Pressures aside.......
I am currently running 2.5 chunder dual ply's front and rear, harder center tread, soft side for cornering, Tire clears mud fairly well, Maxxis is always a good choice, Michelin is always a good choice as well. Kenda can be hit or miss depending on the wheel your putting them on<fun having them blow off the wheels> Tioga Factory DH is probably the only tire I really didnt like in teh Dry, just too lite, and not enough grip in teh loose.

kylechs5

Chimp
Mar 23, 2007
kenda excavator 2.5 front. retarded grip and same weight as nevegal

specialized chunder 2.3 . really really easy to drift but they still hold really well on off camber stuff and roll super fast

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
AM
2.5 Minion 60D DHF front and rear SINGLE ply with Maxxis Ultra Lite tubes
-850g each
-rear at 37 psi
-front at 32 psi

DH
2.5 Minion 3C DHF front and rear DUAL ply with standard tubes
-1250g each
-rear 32 psi
-front 27 psi

Did I mention I love Minions...
I might go back to the DHR in the rear as the DHF on the rear likes to slide on the hardpack, which can be a good or bad thing. The DHF on the front and rear works awesome everywhere else.

Last edited:

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Just got a set of Continental Der Kaiser's in the mail yesterday, I will be running them at nationals next weekend, and if that goes well they will be my race tire for the rest of the season and possibly next season as well. First impressions of the tire are great, very stiff sidewall, 3 ply casing, relatively painless to install/ remove (the Minions were always a bear for me) tread pattern is a little different to the pictures I had seen around teh interwebs but it looks sorta like a minion highroller hybrid. Measures to almost exactly 2.5 when mounted on my race wheel set (DT 5.1) and at 1150 actual weight a little lighter than the Minion to boot. I will post a full review once I have some time on them and I paid nearly full price for my shop to special order them for me so I am not going to sugar-coat it.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Depends on the track and conditions and it's all personal preference so i think it gives little info.
For dry and rocky stuff I go Minion DHF 42a/huchinson barracuda med (48a) on the front and dhr 60a on the rear
For regular stuff I go minion DHF 42a front and huchinson barracuda med/low/2nd DHF
For ****storms i go 2x 42a wetscreams.

All the tires are 2.5'' and used as ust on a ust rim.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
AM - Maxxis Advantage 2.4 35/40. Roll fast, break away predictably. Prefer Hutchinson Barracudas so far, I'm going to try Specialized Clutch SXs next.

DH - Minion DHF 2.5 27/32. Still getting to know these. I'll be trying Clutches next here to.

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
For DH I like the Minion DHF in the front and a Highroller rear, both 2.5's

I have ridden Nevegal's and did not mind them, like someone else said there are a lot of hater's out there, but I thought they were ok in most conditions, saves time on changing tires every time the weather changes. For real mud I like the Wetscreams but the Michelin Mud's were just as good.

Is there really a big difference between the Nevegal's and the Excavator's??

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I run Schwalbe Big betty 2.4 Triple compound Folding tires front/rear,i like them because they last for ever and they have plenty off grip left after 1.5 years off hard riding.Other beside they last very long they are realy light too

Last edited:

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Intense 909's, on both bikes, just the "lightweight" DC ones on the ASX to make it all trailbikey.

I like having the same tyre on both, means I dont have to remember how different tyres handle when swapping between bikes.:thumb: