Quantcast

wheel building speed

BIG_MAN_290

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
with brand new hub/ rim/ spokes / nipples, under 45 minutes. with used rim, a little longer, because it takes longer to fine tune the spokes to get the wheel prefectly straight

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
When I worked in a shop and did it often and had good tools 30 minutes. I don't build too often now, 4 or 5 wheels a year it seems, and it takes about 45 minutes. Tools which help are a self centering truing stand and nipple driver. Nipple drivers speed up the lacing process a lot, and good stands like the park shop stands allow you to tension up and center the rim from the start so you spend less time centering with a dishing tool at the end.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
one of my buddies who used to work for mavic could build a wheel in 13 minutes if the tools were there and correct spokes were laid out.

BIG_MAN_290

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
Originally posted by indieboy
one of my buddies who used to work for mavic could build a wheel in 13 minutes if the tools were there and correct spokes were laid out.
13 minutes??unless your buddy is a machine, thats pretty much literally impossible.

builder666

Monkey
Dec 13, 2002
Construction in Subterfuge
ya......................... 13 minutes...................... it usually takes that long just to prep the the spokes.............................. building wheels shouldn't be a race, and I would never roll any wheelset built in 13 minutes.:rolleyes:

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Start to finish, (and I use the DT wall chart to get spoke length and I use Spokeprep) it takes about an hour to an hour and a half.
If every thing is laid out and it is a front wheel I can make a rideable wheel in fifteen minutes, this is not one I would put my name on or sell.

builder666

Monkey
Dec 13, 2002
Construction in Subterfuge
Originally posted by Rev.Chuck
Start to finish, (and I use the DT wall chart to get spoke length and I use Spokeprep) it takes about an hour to an hour and a half.
If every thing is laid out and it is a front wheel I can make a rideable wheel in fifteen minutes, this is not one I would put my name on or sell.
Word...

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by SwisSlesS
...I believe it.
I'd believe it too. If you're using a drill with a nipple-driver bit in it, and you put all your spokes into the hub before lacing to the rim, it's within the realm of possibility. Plus if he works at Mavic he probably does it 8 hrs a day 5 days a week.

I would DEFINITELY de-stress that wheel and re-tension before riding it though. As with any other factory-built wheel....

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I've heard of him. Can't remember his name. My former service manager is friends with him. That guy is a freak.

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
Originally posted by sub6
I would DEFINITELY de-stress that wheel and re-tension before riding it though. As with any other factory-built wheel....
I know that you need to do that on machine built wheels, but I thought that step was usually taken care of with hand built wheels...?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I know that you need to do that on machine built wheels, but I thought that step was usually taken care of with hand built wheels...?
I never consider a wheel finished until it has been ridden and retrued/tensioned.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
well, yeah (usually). But not on one that was handbuilt in 13 minutes!!:p

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by Repack
I never consider a wheel finished until it has been ridden and retrued/tensioned.
I have never had to retrue a wheel that I've built. If you tap the spoke heads with a punch, stress relieve the spokes, and give the wheel a good lateral cranking all around the rim on both sides before the final tensioning, it'll be perfect.

but it takes me longer than 13 minutes...

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Repack
I've heard of him. Can't remember his name. My former service manager is friends with him. That guy is a freak.
that's matt bracken, he's the president over at IF. he worked quite a few years as mavic's tech support. the guy knows what he is doing and i've ridden on quite a few wheels he's built and yes a frickin wheel building machine. it takes 13 minutes if he has the spokes preped and EVERYTHING laid out ready to go.

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
About 1/2 hour to build a good one.. Thats with the spoke legnth already determined. Ive never had to touch any of my wheels after the build..

I could see 13minutes.. But it really depends on the wheel. My boss built a no cross wheel in only a few minutes, kind if different though. He went around with the nipple driver then tightend all the spokes equally. The wheel was perfectly in dish, high/low was perfect to.. a fluke i must say.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You are all a bunch of mutants. I think it takes me at LEAST an hour and a half to actually get it perfect.

Well, and I'm a hack, too...but I figured the only way to learn to build a wheel was to simply try it and see. Got pretty good at it after my 3d or 4th, but it's been a while, now, and I think the skill is pretty perishable.

MD

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Since when is it a race?

Speed does not equal quality. I sure wouldn't want my mechanic bragging to his friends that he can hack together a wheel in a faster time than his buddy. I'd rather have him say that he spent a lot of time getting the wheel built to perfect tension/true/dish.

It takes me about an hour to build a wheel, and I prep the spokes a couple of hours before hand.