Quantcast

Wheel set(s)

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I am looking for lightweight relatively durable wheel-set to go on my 08 Spec. Stumpy fsr. I am looking at a few used XTR wheel sets that can be had relatively cheap, but am a bit concerned with the durability of said wheel set, also finding 7" centerlock rotors can be a pain (do they even exist). On that note I have also taken a fancy to Stans Olympic hoops laced to Amer. Classic hubs (1380 gms!) but am also concerned with durability. That said here are my requirements-
<1800gms for the set
Relatively durable (I am light 155 but pretty hard on components)
Easy to true and replace spokes (could dq the XTR's for this reason)
At least 24mm rim width
Around $500 for the set

Suggestions?

dubbed_monk

Chimp
May 2, 2005
I just got 2 sets of wheels built for me and my other half, from larry at Moutain high Cyclery.... http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com/
Great guy to deal with and GREAT prices and alot of people reconmend him.
I got a set of mavic 823 laced to chris king hubs with super comp spokes for 740, the over all weight is about 1850g. I luv these things and the 823 are strong and tubeless. You can also look into other mavic options like 717. I got quoted 717, with king hubs for under $720 for the set.
I would say give Larry a call, tell him what your looking for and your budget. He'll be able to reconmend you a nice set of wheels and hubs. He knows his stuff and is every helpful.
Good luck....

seppk

Chimp
Aug 3, 2009
Mavic SLR wheels are good. They are pricey but they are fast and have ceramic bearing which will last you a long time.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I think you guys may have missed one of my most crucial requirements, <500us for the set. I can't justify spending that kind of coin on my XC bike just yet. ^Dubbed Monk, I could build Stans ZTR Olympic hoops laced to Hope hubs for less than that, and they would be much lighter (1400gms) So think built wheelsets that can be had on the cheap second-hand.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Instead of Olympics use the Stan's 355 rims. They are barely heavier but are wider and stiffer. Use 14/15 butted spokes for durability and stiffness (my preference) or a more radical butting for reduced weight. Lace to American Classics (my preference) or WTB Laserdisc Lite hubs (cheaper).
My rear AmClassic, 14/15, 355 wheel weighs 790g.
If you or a friend can do the building the WTB setup is pretty cheap.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
XTR wheels are bomber. The freehubs ain't so hot, but are easily replaced. 180mm rotor for centrelock are readily available too. I can get one at my local shop or at least order one from Shimano toute suite. Don't know why you can't find them.

I built up a set of Stan's 355's this year and they're doing well enough. A little light maybe for where I live and ride but I've only had to true the rear once after a crash. I'm around 145# if that's any help. Last season I ran the Arch which has the same profile but an extra reinforcement inside and heavier at around 420 gm each. never needed to true them so I figured I was overbuilt. I figure if the wheel never needs truing despite ones best efforts to mangle them, they are too heavy. An occaisional true job is not really a sign of a bad wheel in all circumstances.