Quantcast

Wheelbuilder recommendations

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I'm going to take a stab and infer from your handle that you do, in fact, reside the dead center of the Universe, aka NYC, and therefore are granted all given rights and privileges thereof.

What you want to do is seek out a man named Gerald, who works at Roy's Sheepshead Cycle. He alone can give you what you so desire.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Go with Gerald. He's built 3 wheelsets for me and all of them are still going strong

Roy's Sheepshead Cycle
2679 Coney Island Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11235
Phone: (718)-648-1440
Monday - Saturday 10-6 Late Night: Thursday; 10-8 Sunday 11-6

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Kovachi Wheels has been in business for decades based on his phenomenal wheel building skills. Back when pros needed wheels to be magic...most top pros had wheels built by John Kovachi himself.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
1. Enter shop
2. Find the oldest mechanic there
3. If he is crabby and older than your dad, ask him to build your wheels
...and is standing on someones rim with both legs with a wooden block under it bending what would seem an utterly destroyed wheel back into shape.

Oh...and he doesn't bitch when you ask him to salvage as many spokes as possible.

This is the exact opposite of this young guy local. Likeable kid, but everytime I'm in the shop for a repair, his first option is to get you to spend more to buy a new one. Two times ago, it was to buy a new headset rather than regrease the bearings. The headset was an OEM and I needed to ride that day and he was out of new bearings.

Next up, a wheel with 2 snapped spokes. Kid had a tough time comprehending that some people don't mind a relatively true wheel with mismatched spokes...if it means getting to ride.:D

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
^^ Ah-ha - - notice I did not say true it yourself. I still leave that to my local expert because he's better at it and faster than I would be with the best of equipment at my disposal. Yeah, I rough it in but it's worth the $15 to finish it off right.

I was just trying to make the point that wheel-building is not the magical black art that it's made out to be. All it takes really is patience and a methodical approach. It's actually kinda theraputic and an even more productive way to pass part of an evening than making posts on the RM interwebs ;).