Quantcast

Wheels from beyond bike

Evilmunch

Monkey
May 5, 2002
NE of ATL
I'm gonna get some new wheels to shave some weight off my bike. I currently have some Ditch Witches with WTB Mutanoraptor 2.24 rear and Moto Raptor 2.4 front.

I talked to the guys at BeyondBikes . For my weight (224 lbs.) and riding style they suggested mavic D3.1 rims, Xt disc hubs, 14/15 DT spokes and Maxxis Highroller 2.1 UST hand made All for $349. Does that sound like a good deal?

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I can't comment on the price, but those rims are burlier than some other XC rims. I think you are right to avoid the Crossrock set.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Hmmm. I have Rhino Lites, XTs & Wheelsmiths for one bike and 517s, XTs & DTs on the other. Both sets were handbuilt and close to your price but included XT cassettes. I thought I paid a fair price at the time.

The lightest XC wheels I've had were 217s and system 3 hubs. Very light weight by 1997 standards.

EDIT: Tires were Hutchison Alligator Pros and Motoraptors. Both sets under $350.00 last year. I checked out beyond bikes and noted that their prices for built wheels are less than my LBS charges. Throw in a cassette and tires and you are still $35.00 to $40.00 ahead of the game.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Um, I dunno. First of all Beyond Bikes doesn't have a very good reputation; go to the "best deals" forum on MTBR and look up their name, they have a lot of complaints. On RM too, i think.

What kind of riding are you doing? XC/trail riding? Or DH and drops? I'm guessing the former since you're in GA and because you're trying to save weight. If the latter then you need to start ADDING weight.

As for the wheels, D3.1s are DH rims, and you're trying to save weight? They weigh more than your Rhyno Lites that you have now (ditch witch is an OEM rhyno lite).

XT disc hubs are heavy and suck, I speak from too much experience with them.

I'd say that a much better (lighter) wheelset for you would be Mavic F519 rims, with 14/15 spokes laced to DT Onyx hubs. Far lighter and probably cheaper, and you wouldn't have to deal with the headache of XT disc hubs.

JMHO.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
let me add to that that anybody who tries to charge you $350 for a wheelset built on XT disc hubs is f*cking you in the ass. The hubset goes for $50-60 EVERYWHERE on the web.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by sub6
let me add to that that anybody who tries to charge you $350 for a wheelset built on XT disc hubs is f*cking you in the ass. The hubset goes for $50-60 EVERYWHERE on the web.
Jeeze... don't get twisted. $350.00 incuded wheel build, XT cassette, tires and sales tax. I don't have the exact cost but I know the tires were in the $60.00 range and the cassettes were in the $50.00 range, sales tax would have been 8.2%.

I presented it as a package so apples could be compared to apples.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Jeeze... don't get twisted. $350.00 incuded wheel build, XT cassette, tires and sales tax.
Midge I'm not bagging on you, I'm referring to the deal Beyond was offering Evil M.

For comparison, you can/could get XT disc hubs machine-laced to Singletrack rims for $125, I don't remember where but they were all over the web for a while. Bill Larson probably too. There isn't $225 difference between those two wheelsets - $30 for a build and $30 for the rims?

I suppose I left out the tires there, but tubeless 2.1 High rollers aren't necessary when he already HAS tires and could just use those on normal, lighter, cheaper rims. I dunno. I don't think $350 is a fair price, that's all......

D3.1s @ go-ride - $130/pair
XTs @ Jenson - $60/pair
Spokes - $30
There's an extra $130 that ought to be getting him something that he's not getting here.......

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
personally i wouldn t touch anything from beyond bikes even if it was FREE... kerry or sam or whatever his name is (or was - depending on the time of day and phone-caller) can BURN IN HELL... kook

look around midget

:cool:

Thylacine

Monkey
May 9, 2002
Steve Irwins Bungalow
Okay, well, I used to weigh 232, but now I'm a *cough* XC weenie at 205! Heh. Anyway, I can't recommend Mavic 519/DT Revo/DT Onyx combo strongly enough as a good all round trailride/xc wheelset for the big lads. These have been on my Proto FS bike for 18 months and I havent had to touch them. And I've aimed that bike a sh1t I probably wouldnt walk.

They're great wheels but as I always say, get a good wheelbuilder! Doesnt matter how good the parts are if youre wheelbuilder is crap.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yarg! No hassle from me, I was just comparing my LBS to beyond bikes for price on the exact same build with tires and cassette. Beyond bikes would be cheaper but... I already have my wheels.

SUB6... gottcha - sorry. :)

Evilmunch

Monkey
May 5, 2002
NE of ATL
Thanks for the great info guys. I'm gonna stay away from beyondbikes. I'd like to go tubeless too.

So, this is what i've got in mind right now.

X3.1 on DT onyx disc with DT Revo spokes.

Here's the specs

Mavic X3.1 - 450g - $65 (pricepoint) x2
DT Onyx Front - 192 g - $59 (go-ride.com)
DT Onyx Rear - 393 g - $119 (go-ride.com)
Maxxis High Roller UST - 650g - $49 (cambriabike) x2
DT Revolution spokes - ??? - $??
DT red alloy nipples :p - ??? - $.25 to .35 ea - (cambriabike)

my LBS said they'd build 'em for $65

Grand Total $471 + spokes + nipples + S&H

There's probably a way to do it cheaper... I'm just not aware of it. What do you think?

Evilmunch

Monkey
May 5, 2002
NE of ATL
If this is what you guys think would suit me best could you suggest a single source I can get all this from and have it built?
Thanks!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Evilmunch
If this is what you guys think would suit me best could you suggest a single source I can get all this from and have it built?
Thanks!
With all your different sources and shipping charges I think your LBS might be able to do it for the same price or a little less.

Anyhow, only you will know what's going to suit you best. :)

My comment on tubless tires... I wouldn't get them unless I was racing. One of the guys I regularly ride with has tubless, on two recent rides he has taken flat from slow leaks... we had to stop every ten minutes to fill them up again. I'm sure this is the exception but if I get a flat out in the boonies it's easier to change the tube.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
I'm with Midge - I really think of tubeless as being for either REALLY serious racers/hardcore riders or ridiculous weight weenies. It technically has benefits for all riders but it really isn't worth it for most people. There is NOTHING wrong with tubes.

If it's something you want, then get it, but keep in mind you're going to pay a lot for it.

Personally I'd go with normal rims and tires, and put Stan's tubeless in them. Hell, most UST users are putting Stans' sealant into their UST, so apparently there's something to it!!!!

Sounds to me like the cheapest way to do it is to order all the stuff and do it yourself! That's a pricey build ($65?? :eek: )but I GUARANTEE your LBS won't be able to get all those parts together for less than $500.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
here's a thought -

Check out Mike Garcia - he's a custom wheelbuilder in FL, and is/was pretty huge on MTBR (Bianchi4me). He's very skilled, and sells super-cheap stuff - I think his deal is that he only makes money on the build, so he sells the components at cost or something like that? Don't quote me on it. Anyway, he's a great guy to deal with, that might get ya that set a LOT cheaper.

www.oddsandendos.com

Go there and call his 1-800 number, he's awful with email.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I'm with Midge - I really think of tubeless as being for either REALLY serious racers/hardcore riders or ridiculous weight weenies. It technically has benefits for all riders but it really isn't worth it for most people. There is NOTHING wrong with tubes.

If it's something you want, then get it, but keep in mind you're going to pay a lot for it.

Personally I'd go with normal rims and tires, and put Stan's tubeless in them. Hell, most UST users are putting Stans' sealant into their UST, so apparently there's something to it!!!!

Sounds to me like the cheapest way to do it is to order all the stuff and do it yourself! That's a pricey build ($65?? :eek: )but I GUARANTEE your LBS won't be able to get all those parts together for less than $500.
I am thinking the stans is the way to go too. Build up 519's or 618's and if you deside to go tubeless do the stans. I think it may be a better lighter way to go...

KFulch

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
NC
here's a thought -

Check out Mike Garcia - he's a custom wheelbuilder in FL, and is/was pretty huge on MTBR (Bianchi4me). He's very skilled, and sells super-cheap stuff - I think his deal is that he only makes money on the build, so he sells the components at cost or something like that? Don't quote me on it. Anyway, he's a great guy to deal with, that might get ya that set a LOT cheaper.

www.oddsandendos.com

]

That guy sounds like he has some killer deals and kick a** service to go along with it all.

Evilmunch

Monkey
May 5, 2002
NE of ATL
Mean Todd, Mike from oddsandendos, and everyone here talked me out of going UST. If I ever want tubeless Stans no-tube sounds like the way to go.

Mike from Odds and endos suggested this wheelset.

WTB Laser Disc lite on Velocity synergy asymetric rims with wheelsmith spokes. ~1700 g $324 delivered.

jeez, i had no idea there was so much complexity with wheels. gave me a freakin headache

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va

WTB Laser Disc lite on Velocity synergy asymetric rims with wheelsmith spokes. ~1700 g $324 delivered.

jeez, i had no idea there was so much complexity with wheels. gave me a freakin headache
Yeah, sorry 'bout that dude.

Here's something to add. I run the Synergy rims and I haven't been very impressed with them - the sidewalls are not very strong. Did you mention to Mike that you're a heavy guy? He builds a lot of ULTRALITE wheels and it sounds like that's what he has in mind for you.

If he doesn't have access to something a little beefier I'd look elsewhere, to be perfectly frank. Those hubs are fine, ACs are ultra light but that's not the problem. The 425g rims are the problem.

Seriously. Go with Mavic 519s or 618s (lighter than the 519), you'll be a LOT happier. If you're using disc brakes get the 219, it's cheaper than the 519 and is the disc-only version of the 519.

If Mike can't get those in then I would be leery of having him put you on Synergies, after my experiences with them.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
NO. Do not buy "system wheels" they have non-standard parts that are difficult to replace. On a normal wheel you break a spoke, you go to teh LBS and buy a new one w/nipple for $.50. If you break one of those, you have to order one, b/c it's a custom straightpull spoke with a "custom nipple" whatever that is.

Run away.

Universal Cycles custom handbuilt wheel:
DT Swiss Onyx disc hubs
Mavic 519 rims
DT 2.0 spokes
DT brass nips
$318

Reasonably light, VERY STRONG, and cheap. That's a far better deal than anything else posted so far.

The only other thing I'd consider is those ones that MB2 posted from Excel Sports, but I'd personally pay the extra $$ to not have to deal with XT Disc hubs.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Originally posted by Motionboy2
King hubs (ISO)
618 rims
14-15g spokes
Brass Nipples
1820g
Salsa skewers (steel) 100g

Price is a little higher...But they are solid
I can say the Salsa Skewers are awsome, and King hubs are just sweet. :)

Evilmunch

Monkey
May 5, 2002
NE of ATL
Thanks for all they help guys. I picked up a set of Bontrager modified race rims laced to DT Onyx hubs at a killer price at my LBS.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Thanks for all they help guys. I picked up a set of Bontrager modified race rims laced to DT Onyx hubs at a killer price at my LBS.
Sounds like a good choice, man. Sorry to overwhelm ya on this, there's a whole lot to learn and you just took a crash course in it!

Wolfspyder

Chimp
Feb 3, 2003
RVA
Hey Sub6, what kind of problems have you had with the XT hubs? You have me all worried now, I have XT disc hubs on my bike;)

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by Wolfspyder
Hey Sub6, what kind of problems have you had with the XT hubs? You have me all worried now, I have XT disc hubs on my bike;)
so far the freehubs have held up fine, but if you ride 'em hard, the bearings get REALLY loose rather quick. If you don't keep on top of it you can and will ruin your cones. All Shimano hubs have this "problem," although it could be said that ALL cup/cone hubs have this problem.

If you don't have a set of cone wrenches, get some now, they're only a couple bucks each. If you ride hard, you will have to tighten your cones (and repack with grease while you're at it) within a few months.

That's why I like cartridge bearing hubs. The bearings don't have the same lifetime as regularly-maintained cup/cone hubs, but hell. After they go dead in 3 years (of zero-maintenance), you pop 'em out and put new ones in in about 2 minutes, it's a hell of a lot easier than repacking/readjusting cones every 3-6 months.

Check out Sheldon Brown's site www.harriscyclery.com for tips on working on cup/cone hubs, it's a useful skill to have. The Barnett's manual, Ch. 12 has an even better set of instructions, if you can find it.