Quantcast

Wheels to put on my hardtail.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Really didn't want to do this... but I need help deciding

I’m 6’1” 200 lbs, but my target is to get down to 185lbs by April. I ride an aluminum hardtail with a ’05 Sherman Flick+ (20mm axel). I live and ride in Southern California and this bike is my ‘do it all’ bike.

I’ve ridden it at Diablo (NJ) and Big Bear (RIP) as my ‘DH’ bike, I’ve ridden built up North shore style stuff with it, I’m just getting into Dirt Jumping, I ride it urban (rarely), but mostly it is my trail bike. I know - a lot to expect from one bike, but that’s just how things are.

Oh yeah... and I am not the smoothest.

So I’ve been searching for a new wheel set since my rear hub is garbage, I can pedal a quarter turn w/out it catching and the tires rub when I corner…

I have 521 up front and a 321 on the back. The cheapest way to go would be just re-build the rear, but I've got a nice bonus coming to me this year and I figured I'd splurge since I never by myself new wheels.

I’ve found a couple deals:
Sun Singletracks with XT rear [cheapest]
WTB Dual Duty FR '03 Wheel set (rear hub not specified) [$20 more]
Mag 30’s with sun Abbah hubs [$50 more]
Sun SUV with XT rear hub [$60 more]

Based on weight vs strength... which is the best option.

Thanks!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If you are going to ride this bike a lot in the kind of punishing terrain you are talking about, I woul go a step higher. Avoid XT hubs like the plague. Get yourself something that will last through a few wheel builds. You don't have to go all the way to King to get quality. The Ringle hubs are a good start.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Hey Boomer I bought a pair of the Performance Loco wheelset. It's their own private label but the rims are Sun and the Hubs are Formula. I have had them on my HT for almost 2 months and no problems. You know how I ride...they're were true when I bought them and I have only had to true them once so far. The best part is they're on sale right now and they are super cheap.....D

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
WestCoastHucker said:
easy to find cheap.....
Where? I did a quick run through my favorite On line shops and the range was from $60 - $110 more than the single tracks...

BMXman said:
The best part is they're on sale right now and they are super cheap.....D
Where? :sneaky:

EDIT: "performance" as in the bike shop?

Marcus

Chimp
May 26, 2002
Surrey
I have an Onyx QR rear hub laced onto a 321 that has only seen about 10 rides tops on my bike. Only one of those rides/days were at Whistler. So its essentially new'ish/perfect condition.

Care to make an offer?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Marcus said:
I have an Onyx QR rear hub laced onto a 321 that has only seen about 10 rides tops on my bike. Only one of those rides/days were at Whistler. So its essentially new'ish/perfect condition.

Care to make an offer?
Nope.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
BMXman i have a correction on the loco wheel. i work at performance and have a set of the wheels myself. the rims are the welded alex supra D's and the hubs are made by the same company that makes woodman hubs. they really are a good wheel for the money. i have ridden my on my trail bike for like 3 month and i have had not problems. also when i trail ride i'm not easy on the bike and i weight 240.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Thanks guys... don't know how I missed Universal Cycles; damn boss making me do work. :D

I stopped by performance and asked about the wheelset - they quoted me $310. I even asked if they were on sale... the said no :mumble:

It's hard to pass up a set of Singletracks for $180 shipped... but I've burned through several XT and other rear hubs before - so I think a better rear hub is required.

Now which one :dancing:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
What's the weight on the Outlaw wheels? Who actually makes the rim?

-r

WestCoastHucker said:
azonic outlaw wheelset. lightest/stronges wheelset you will find for cheap. i've got them on my mono, and i am by no means nice to a wheelset......

lighter than an XY/Rhynolite setup, tuffest prebuilt wheelset i've seen........

easy to find cheap.....

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
boomer if you want I will buy the Performance wheelset for you...I pretty sure thetotal was under 200 and if you don't like them you can always return them. Performance will let you return damn near anything. Drop me a PM if you're interested....D