Quantcast

Wheels, What Wheels?

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Need a not so bad set of wheels (preferably round). So I am thinking, since it is going on my new (used) SS which will be disk specific, and my current rig is set up with Mavic x317s laced to Hayes superlights, why not get a set of 717s laced to XTs for a back up? Would anyone recommend the F519s laced to XTs? So given those options, what do you think? BTW $245 vs $200 (respectively).

Thanks,

Mike

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mike - where are these prices coming from?

I'm thinking of going toa lighter wheelset for my Balfa Belair - if I keep it - It currently has XT disc hubs laced to mavic 519s. They are strong rims for a trail bike, but they aren't super light if weight is a concern.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
MMcG said:
Mike - where are these prices coming from?

I'm thinking of going toa lighter wheelset for my Balfa Belair - if I keep it - It currently has XT disc hubs laced to mavic 519s. They are strong rims for a trail bike, but they aren't super light if weight is a concern.
Hey Mark! Well, Universal cycles still has F519s in stock (460 g ea) vs the x317/xc717(?) which are (395 g ea). I have the x317s on my xc rig, and they work fine. They are still true after 2 years of moderate use. I am using rebadged Hugi 240s (the Hayes Superlights) and they make a nice xc wheelset with the DT spokes. When I SS, I tend to get into the air more. So I was thinking a more bomber set would be appropriate. Yet, the x317/xc717 still would work. I only weigh 160 and most of the time it is just typical xc stuff. Not a lot of air miles.

Cheers,

Mike