• Hope Pro II/729/DT Swiss Revolution DB

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Ok.

You guys chose my brakes for the 303, now you can choose my wheels. I've narrowed the choice (for the moment) down to the poll's four choices. I can be swayed however.

Lightest wheels I can get away with for DH racing and everyday chairlift-assisted riding.

Any further suggestions welcome.

Mlody

Monkey
Feb 25, 2006
London - UK
I have Suzue DH hub + EN521 + 32 DT Revos and... it's light ;-)
I'm 155lb and I'm trying to be smooth.
I'd write something more about my wheel but I haven't ridden on it yet.

Anyway - you should give 721 and Revos a try.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Go for the DT comp's if you are a bigger guy, riding hard.

Question: are you planning on using tubeless?
If so the 729's may be easier to set up.

balfarider22

Chimp
Feb 20, 2008
Lansing, New York
i have a suzue carbon dh hub laced to a set of stans notubes flow rims. the set is very light and very strong. the flow rims are much much stronger than sun single track rims, they're more along the line of the sun double wide. i would highly recommend them

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
i have a suzue carbon dh hub laced to a set of stans notubes flow rims. the set is very light and very strong. the flow rims are much much stronger than sun single track rims, they're more along the line of the sun double wide. i would highly recommend them
Have yours burped yet? I wanted to get some of these as they should be comprable to 823 but i keep reading reviews that they burp very easy.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Despite being a weight weenie, I don't like to skimp on rims. Pro2 & supercomps & EX823 for me.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I have stacks of new Maxxis non-UST tyres. Otherwise the 823 would be the choice.

I like the 721s for the weight savings over the 729s, but the 729s are significantly stronger and give the tyre a nicer profile.

However, the No Flats Joe's tubeless rim strip only go up to 23mm (link), so won't fit the 729s. Not sure if I can get Stans over here...

Whats the difference between these two rims tubeless-wise? Is one easier/better than the other?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Well you can obviously run the non-UST tyres on the 823, and then you have the UST option frther down the line when you get some more tyres. Or you can mount the non-UST tyres tubeless with a bit of stans sealant anyway.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I wouldn't say the 729 is 'significantly' stronger than the 721, if anything its more prone to flat spots & dings, due to the wider profile.

I'm a little disillusioned with my 823's, i'm having real issues with snakbite flats right up the top of the sidewall by the bead. Its too far up for any sealant to block. Every time I ride i'm flatting, and I don't run silly low pressure. :(

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I wouldn't say the 729 is 'significantly' stronger than the 721, if anything its more prone to flat spots & dings, due to the wider profile.

I'm a little disillusioned with my 823's, i'm having real issues with snakbite flats right up the top of the sidewall by the bead. Its too far up for any sealant to block. Every time I ride i'm flatting, and I don't run silly low pressure. :(
I found that too, I don't think there's much advantage in running 729s over 721s. They're a bit harder to buckle laterally but I killed the sidewalls pretty hard.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
823 + syncross hubs - Light with tubeless and works much better than hopes.

BTW. Anyone heard anything about halo hubs?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
You need to run higher air pressure on your tires if you are denting the side walls on your 729 rims. Those dents happen when the tire compresses and leave the rim to take the impact.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
So which ones did you prefer? 721s or 729s and why?
Well I found them to be pretty much the same strength-wise except that the 721s are a bit lighter, so I spose I'd give those the nod then. Honestly for my riding style I found them both a bit too easy to kill, but if you're not that hard on rims then you should be alright. I have a habit of wrecking rear rims though, I put a decent dent in a Mag30 a couple of weeks ago with 30psi in the tyre. Not sure how it didn't pinch the tube though.

Do you reckon using tubeless makes it more likely that you'll dent the rim though? Because you effectively have a thinner sidewall (no tube) as well as less padding for the rim when it does hit. I haven't run tubeless for about 4 years though (since I very rarely get flats anyway), so I'm not clued up about it.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I just built a set of race wheels using the WTB freeride rims. So far, I'm impressed. Wide enough to hold a tubeless DH tire with zero issues. I rode rocky trails all weekend and the wheels are still perfect. Not bad for a 570g rim.
I will use something heavier for Whistler, but I'm liking these so far.