Quantcast

Wheels

jaffro

Chimp
Jan 6, 2005
Seattle
I just got my QBall frame and fork and it's taunting me because I don't have the parts to build it up yet. I think I know what I'm gonna do for everything but the wheelset. It's gonna be my townie, get around campus, and cross country bike, so I'm looking for a wheelset that will take some punishment but not be a tank. I was thinking about building up a ringle hub that I can get but I've heard that running a zero dish rear wheel would be a good idea. Sturmey Archer makes an internal geared, eight speed rear hub, but I don't know if that will take the kind of riding that I want to do on this bike (XC riding, jumping curbs and going down stairs etc.) So yeah, any help is appreciated.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I talked to the Sturmey Archer guy at Interbike and he said "no go" for off roading. I've read several failed attempts at it online, as well.

Are you going with a rim brake? Sounds like it. Anyway, decent rims that are pretty reasonable include the Salsa Delgado, the Sun Rhynolite, or the Velocity Dyad.

WTB has some pre-built wheelsets that are pretty bomber, but heavy.

I have had good luck personally on Alex TD-17 rims, but they are disc only.

Good luck!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
V-brake wheels or do you want to go disc?

Scan the mtbr.com classifieds and ebay for possible good deals, and also if you have a local board, post up a wanted ad there.

I just picked up a nice used set of Bonty's for my bike from a local guy who just had a spare set laying around. Price was more than right and the wheels seem mega solid to me.

el-cid

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
Anaconda, MT, USA
I just happen to have a set of Bontrager Race wheels laying around that I'd be happy to part with. They're reasonably light and held up well under me for the past year on 2 different bikes. They have disc compatable hubs and machined rims so you could run either rim brakes or discs (I ran rim brakes first, then discs). Just shoot me a pm if you're interested.

jaffro

Chimp
Jan 6, 2005
Seattle
Thanks for the help. The Q ball is disc specific, and I live in Seattle so V brakes aren't exactly ideal anyway. I think I've decided on some WTB speed discs built up on that ringle and whatever I can find for the front. I'll post some pictures when the bike is done, it'll be hot sex.