Quantcast

Wheelset choice: 823 + DT Hugi vs 823 + Hadley

descender

Chimp
May 6, 2003
San Francisco
I am scoping two internet deals for wheelsets...

They are both Mavic 823s but one is Hadley front and back and the other is DT Hugi FR. The DT set is $100 less than the Hadleys, and I think it is lighter. But the hadleys seem less likely to blow up.

What would you do?

Dusty Bottoms

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Santa Monica
I blew up a Hadley 2 weeks ago. They sent a re-build kit without seeing my blown hub internals, which was pretty cool. Get the hub that can be serviced most easily by you or your LBS. Less down time = more smiles.

descender

Chimp
May 6, 2003
San Francisco
Dusty Bottoms said:
I blew up a Hadley 2 weeks ago. They sent a re-build kit without seeing my blown hub internals, which was pretty cool. Get the hub that can be serviced most easily by you or your LBS. Less down time = more smiles.
So are DT's harder to service?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
dt's are super simple to service. as a bonus, its a really loud freehub. i've had no reliability issues with the dt's over the last 4 years i've had them - apart from wearing out one set of freehub ratchets & bearings. i've also owned a rear hadley for a couple years, with no problems apart from having to replace a set of bearings. the hadley is a bit more work to tear down, and uses a proprietary freehub bearing that (as far as i know) cant be found at your local bearing shop. on the bright side, hadley has fantastic cs - sourcing replacement bits direct is fast & painless. the hadley has burlier construction, but does weight more.

descender

Chimp
May 6, 2003
San Francisco
xy9ine said:
dt's are super simple to service. as a bonus, its a really loud freehub. i've had no reliability issues with the dt's over the last 4 years i've had them - apart from wearing out one set of freehub ratchets & bearings. i've also owned a rear hadley for a couple years, with no problems apart from having to replace a set of bearings. the hadley is a bit more work to tear down, and uses a proprietary freehub bearing that (as far as i know) cant be found at your local bearing shop. on the bright side, hadley has fantastic cs - sourcing replacement bits direct is fast & painless. the hadley has burlier construction, but does weight more.
OK thanks. So the DTs have a "super rad get the hell out of my way" noise like the King hubs?

As far as engagement goes, is there a clear winner ?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
descender said:
OK thanks. So the DTs have a "super rad get the hell out of my way" noise like the King hubs?

As far as engagement goes, is there a clear winner ?
i've owned and beat the piss out of both. hadley has a much better engagment and are just as loud as king. i just ordered up another set of hadleys for my XC bike. i don't think i want to own anything else. i now have 5 rear hubs...
aslong as you get 2002 or newer hadley its the way to go.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i've found engagement of the regular hadley & dt's are pretty similar. i'm not an instant-engagement fanatic though; maybe there's a discernable difference to some. the dt has fewer engagement points than the king, but is louder; more of a buzzsaw noise, whereas the king is more of an angry bumblebee. (not that you should buy a hub based on the noise it makes...).

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
okay another thing that you have to consider is what is the spacing of your swingarm. if your like me and have a large spacing (165 mm) the dt is the only way to go. i dont think hadley offers a 165mm spacing (of course even einstein was wrong lol). other things also include colors. hadley offers a wide range of colors unlike dt which offers flat black. but other than that and maybee weight and price i dont see much of a difference with what everyone else has said. so good luck man.

ohh and im getting 823 built to dt hubs here really shortly so ill give you an update on them when i get them in but i dont know how long thats going to be sorry.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
The Kadvang said:
I'm also gonna get a pair of 823s built to DTs soon... I'll post up a review.
The Kadvang's review:

I have these really bitch'n wheelset. The way they sit in the corner collecting dust is amazing, the dust bunnies are having a field day. When I hold them up in the air and my mom spins the wheel its so straight. Maybe one day if my frame ever arrives I'll be able to give a review on if they can actually hold air and spin at the same time :thumb: :D :sneaky:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
^ BWA HA HA HA!

I shouldn't laugh though. Poor Kadvizzle still gots no bikey. :(

It's too bad since I'll be gone from SC by the time he gets his rig running so I won't be able to school him over here. :D

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Brian HCM#1 said:
The Kadvang's review:

I have these really bitch'n wheelset. The way they sit in the corner collecting dust is amazing, the dust bunnies are having a field day. When I hold them up in the air and my mom spins the wheel its so straight. Maybe one day if my frame ever arrives I'll be able to give a review on if they can actually hold air and spin at the same time :thumb: :D :sneaky:
:mad:

Sean baby, you going back to SB? Maybe I'll come down and shred with ur ass.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
they are both kick ass hubs, i've heard of a few different instances though of people breaking hte hubshells on the DT's though. DO a search and I'm sure you'll find something about it

TurnerDHRider

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
xy9ine said:
the dt has fewer engagement points than the king, but is louder; more of a buzzsaw noise, whereas the king is more of an angry bumblebee. (not that you should buy a hub based on the noise it makes...).
really? i got a hugi FR on my sunday and it is not loud at all...I can hear it click when its spnning slowly..but i cannot hear anything while i m riding at normal speed..oh and i buy a hub based on the noise it makes..hehe..i love the mad clicky noises...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
ya know... further research has revealled that hugi had actually changed the star ratchet design slightly (reducing the ratchet ramp profile i think) at some point to reduce the noise they make. the old hub is that loud. i like it.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
me89 said:
okay another thing that you have to consider is what is the spacing of your swingarm. if your like me and have a large spacing (165 mm) the dt is the only way to go. i dont think hadley offers a 165mm spacing (of course even einstein was wrong lol). other things also include colors. hadley offers a wide range of colors unlike dt which offers flat black. but other than that and maybee weight and price i dont see much of a difference with what everyone else has said. so good luck man.

ohh and im getting 823 built to dt hubs here really shortly so ill give you an update on them when i get them in but i dont know how long thats going to be sorry.

yup Hadleys come in more sizes then the DT. the 165 hub can be changed from QR, 9mm, 10mm, 12mm, 15mm. also can be switched to 160, 155, 150.
then the hub shell changes.
the 135mm hub shell can be, 122mm, 130, 135, 140, 145. and can be anywhere from 9mm to 20mm adapters to 15mm.

AV

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
Arlington, VA
I have two bikes with Hadleys laced to 823s. They rule! Don't know about the DT hubs but I plan on never running anything but Hadley's. As for running tubes with them not a problem just don't put a rim strip in there as it is unneccesary.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
TurnerDHRider said:
really? i got a hugi FR on my sunday and it is not loud at all...I can hear it click when its spnning slowly..but i cannot hear anything while i m riding at normal speed..

Same here with mine. Very quiet and precise sounding. I love it.

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
DT's CS is top notch! Located in CO so there easy to get a hold of. There was a few rear FR hubs that broke, actually it was the shell, DT was quik to replace under warranty. They have said that there was a bad batch of shells a few years back, and if the tension was to high on the spokes the flange was seperating, I have not heard of any problems lately and would have no regrets using one. I do think they are lighter than the Hadleys. Might come down to availablilty, Hadleys can be hard to find at times, they are a very small shop and run out of product quickly, and then take quite a while restocking and then having to fill all the back orders.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
i just got 823s (the new version) on Hadley front/rear, after looking at all the options.

Chris King w/ steel freehub is heavier than Hadley, which comes w/ Ti freehub body. Last I checked the FR DT Hugi was heavier than Chris King / aluminum freehub, so I can't imagine there's much weight difference between the FR DT and the Hadley to speak of. ACtually I think the Hadley may be lighter than the DT. Anyone have some actual weights?

The hub body cracking issue was one reason I steered away from DT, but the main reason i went w/ Hadley was the flexibility of setting up the hubs in so many ways. And I've talked to shops that build sh*tloads of wheels (all brands, hope, CK, hadley, DT, ringle) and the consensus is that Hadley has the overall reliability advantage--but the other hubs are decent too.

PowersUSA

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
Mass
If you’re looking at DT Hugi FR hubs laced to Mavic 832 rims you should also consider the Magura FR UST wheelset. I picked up a set at Greenfish (note: the picture on the website is not of the UST wheelset so don’t be thrown off) for $450 with Hutchinson Spider UST tires. The hubs are Hugi FR remarked with the Magura brand and the rims are Mavic D3.1 (same as the older EX 823).