Quantcast

Wheelset suggestions?

Super-man

Chimp
Jun 20, 2005
Orem, UT
Hi all,

I'm building my first XC bike (owned plenty just never built) and I'm stuck on the wheelset I'm going to get. I've got just about everything else, but I really need help on the wheelset. Currently I've been basing my ideas off of www.mtbr.com reviews. I'm not looking for the lightest set of wheels out there, and I don't want to spend $800. I would prefer to keep it sub $400 range if possible but if there was really good reason to go into the $500 range, I might do that.

I weigh about 185 lbs and I'm a bit of an aggressive rider. My bike is a Turner Flux (4 in the front and back.) Currently I'm looking at the FSA XC-300 wheelset because they have good reviews on mtbr and they are cheap! Would these be a good wheelset to go with? Or should I be looking somewhere else?

Thanks!

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
prebuilt wheels are nice, i won't lie. but, so are handbuilt wheels. and honestly most of the time you can get a set that is cheaper and lighter.
nothing wrong with a set of xtr hubs on mavic rims laced up 3x with double butted spokes.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
prebuilt wheels are nice, i won't lie. but, so are handbuilt wheels. and honestly most of the time you can get a set that is cheaper and lighter.
nothing wrong with a set of xtr hubs on mavic rims laced up 3x with double butted spokes.
true that. i think at 500 you can geter done. xtr front and rear, 717 (id get the 517's if you can find them 20 grams lighter) but i'd go revo's 3x.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
they'll be fine. i use them to build TONS of stuff. and know tons of DH pro mechanics that use them to build wheels for their riders.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Look into Hope Pro II hubs with comps (maybe Sapim CX-Rays if you're feeling saucy) and your choice of rim. You should be able to get those built for about $500 or less. If you're interested send me a PM and I'll send you contact info for the guy that built my wheels.