Quantcast

wheelsets for a trail bike

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Looking for recommendations on a wheelset. If I buy a prebuilt wheelset, I'll probably go with the Mavic Crossmax Enduro Disk. What do people recommend for a 5" trailbike... especially for a hand built wheel?

Well, if I were to have another wheelset built up for my pending 5" trailbike (but I'm sticking with a pair of the OEM wheels for now), I would personally be able to use "heavy duty XC" type stuff and would do the following:

--White Industries tracker front
--White Industries Disc Jockey Ti rear
--DT 14/15 db spokes
--DT alloy nipples
--Mavic 717 Disc rims
--3-cross pattern

That will weigh slightly less than the Enduro XL D Mavic pre-mades, and will cost much less to maintain and repair over time. I just cancelled that wheelset, by the way.

Pick and choose your hubs of choice. I would go with White, because I've had great experience with them over time and they are both light and durable. Sub in Hugi 240, or XT or whatnot. The key to that wheelset is the strong rim and reliable spokes.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Given a roughly $600 budget:

King disc hubs
EX823 rims
14/15 butted spokes (3x)
brass nipples
Built by a seasoned wheel-builder

Relatively light, servicable, durable. :thumb:

minkhiller

Chimp
Mar 29, 2004
NH
Originally posted by Ian F

King disc hubs
EX823 rims
14/15 butted spokes (3x)
brass nipples

That's what my wheelset is, I love 'em.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Ian's suggestion is great but heres mine to save some cash

Hope xc disc hubs
14/15 dt's 3x
brass nips

should be like a hundredfiddy dollars cheaper
I'm becoming a huge hop hub fan

J

JRB

Originally posted by SuspectDevice
Ian's suggestion is great but heres mine to save some cash

Hope xc disc hubs
14/15 dt's 3x
brass nips

should be like a hundredfiddy dollars cheaper
I'm becoming a huge hop hub fan
I like my Hope XCs. I built them on 517s and they are pretty tough and light. A little flexy, but that may be the fork. The back is not.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by Ian F

King disc hubs
EX823 rims
14/15 butted spokes (3x)
brass nipples

That's what I have but with alloys, I don't mind replacing a few nipples a year for the gram savings. Plus the pretty blue nips match my pretty blue king hubs! Otherwise black brass with black hubs would look really sick! Chris Kings dark blue is soooo sweet!:p

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Originally posted by wooglin
XT hubs, 519 rims, 32h, 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes 2- or 3-cross, and a good builder.
This is what I've been riding on for a season and I've been real happy with them. Pretty cheap compared to other stuff out there too.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by novatrek
i got a set of wheels from www.jensonusa.com handbuilt they have been great. hope xc disc hubs,mavic 819 tubeless disc rims with black wheelsmith spokes for $349 shipped. and they look good.
That is a good deal!

what tires are you running?

novatrek

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
inwood west virginia
Im running michelin tubeless comp s with the green rubber that are great.they handle really well and i got them from performance for $15 each.......it was and in store sale and i got 3.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by Acadian
speaking of trail bike wheels...I'm also building a new tail bike and already have a wheelset build with 521's. Was planning on using stans - is that overkill? Should I just get lighter XC rims? maybe UST?
I don't think so. They are not hideously heavy, they are practicaly indestructible for trail riding, and can serve as emergency back-up wheels for your DH bike (depending on hubs...). I ran the same set of D521 rims on my XC bike from '98 until last year. My friend who bought the frame is still riding the rear wheel. The bike even saw some DH service...

After so many years of riding on D521's, I'm actually leary of running anything other than a DH rim on my trail bike.