Quantcast

When did you start downhill??

Aug 10, 2009
i am 14 and i plan on starting next summer as i dont have enough cash for a bike right now, when did you start doing downhill?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
First DH I did was the puerco DH (malibu) in 1986, that same year I did the rockhopper classic in Big Bear where you had to race the uphill to get to enter the DH (as most DH events were).

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I think I was about 19 or 20, so 11 or 12 years ago. I had Giant ATX 900 series, I think. Lightweight, XC full suspension bike. 90mm of rear wheel travel, 80mm in front - RS Judy. But I had wheel built with Sun Mammoth rims :D and ProStop brakes with huge +200mm floating rotors :D

big dan

Chimp
Oct 12, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
First race in 1995 but really got into it after going to the Cairns worlds to watch. Purchased a Turner straight away and got into it. Racing vet class now, havnt missed a season.:thumb:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
First race in 1995 but really got into it after going to the Cairns worlds to watch. Purchased a Turner straight away and got into it. Racing vet class now, havnt missed a season.:thumb:
Pfft... Old timer...

First race was in '95 when I was 15. I'm eligible for Vets next year, but haven't decided whether to stay in Open Men or not.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
1996 @ Mt Snow on a C'dale Super V700 w/ i think around 4" of travel and disc brakes that howled like a banshee the whole way down the hill.
1999 was first "dh bike," a 1999 Bullit w/ Jr T.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
ABout ten years ago or so, started out on an OLD as ahnd me down rigid cannondale, then went to a KHS rage, to a KHS fr, then a Dirtbag, to a **** load of demos to my blindside. Im thirty now, was still pretty fearless when I was twenty. Starting to realize it takes time to heal now.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
somewhere between 1985-1988 I remember me and my neighbor Greg pushing our BMX bikes to the top of a rutted out moto hill climb of ours and bombing back down it twice, nearly killing ourselves in a side by side battle on the second run. NEVER did that again.

First DH race was in 1993 in college, 19 years old, rigid Schwinn burgundy Homegrown with full Shimano LX, Tiago Psycho tires, Answer Alumilite DH bar and Dia-Compe cantilever brakes. Actually found the fork off that bike hanging in my dad's shed two days ago ironicly!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
First DH race was summer 97 at Mt Peter in NY. I got like 3rd in Sport DH and was hooked. It's still one of my best race results. Go figure.

-ska todd

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
First DH I did was the puerco DH (malibu) in 1986, that same year I did the rockhopper classic in Big Bear where you had to race the uphill to get to enter the DH (as most DH events were).
Haha... I remember uphill events :) Last one I saw was '96 at snowshoe :rofl:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
'93, Gainesville Fl (I got 7th overall. Jason McCroy and Todd Tanner were 1-2, Termite was 3rd, and the Caloi XC team rounded out the top 5). I was 13 and terrified)...

I never raced DH more than one or two times a year (too busy racing xc and on the road) until '03. The best DH races I've ever done were in the '90s (except for Whiteface). Go figure....

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
I first rode DH trails about 14 or 15 years ago on a chromoly hardtail GT Karakoram with a Rockshox Mag21 fork and cantilever brakes. First FS bike was an AMP Research B3 with like 2.5-3" of travel, a couple of years later. Just got my first proper DH bike this season at 35, and I'm having a blast!

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Started around 4-5 years ago at the ripe 'ol age of 36, I'll be 41 next month. But I would say that I only have 2 years of DH riding experience. I have taken a couple of years off in that time frame, due to different reasons.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
'93, Gainesville Fl (I got 7th overall. Jason McCroy and Todd Tanner were 1-2, Termite was 3rd, and the Caloi XC team rounded out the top 5). I was 13 and terrified)...

I never raced DH more than one or two times a year (too busy racing xc and on the road) until '03. The best DH races I've ever done were in the '90s (except for Whiteface). Go figure....
I do believe that was my first DH race as well, on a stumpjumper with a Judy and bar ends. Uh, I was a little older than 13 though.

Don't laugh, but I was the Florida State DH champ in I think '95 or '96. THe races were more like flat sprints on XC bikes.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Did my first lift-assisted riding in august of 2007 at age 25. Was instantly addicted, rode all of last season at Diablo, loved every minute of it. Picked up a used Sinister R9 mid season last year and it's made things WAY more fun.

Finally got the customary broken collarbone the 2nd weekend of the Diablo season this year, and only just started riding again.

All I think about all week is the next time I get to ride, haha.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
1998 on a Gary Fisher Joshua, solid 3" of travel with elastomer fork. Very rough ride since Attitash was where I started and they really only had Fire Roads open back then and their Fire Roads are like Cape Cod beaches with many baby heads thrown in. My wife broke her collar bone that day on a GF Joshua as well. Those bikes didn't last long.

Raced from 2000-2006 then broke my leg in Whistler, missed many weeks of work (had to come up with $25K for surgery in Vancouver) and just realized, being a parent and all, I couldn't take the same risks anymore so racing had to go.

I still ride DH and love it but don't allow myself to "Pin" it anymore. I'm 41 now and most the guys I rode/raced with don't even ride anymore, it's getting harder and harder to find people to ride with never mind DH with.

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Started in April 2005 on a 2006 Santa Cruz Heckler. Then moved to a SC Free after that.

I am so happy I found MTB riding. Best thing that's ever happened to me besides finding my fiance.

If you care check my sig to see where I am at now. =]

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Started riding rented bikes at Bromont in 2000. But I was always faster than my buddies on the downhills of trail rides... does that count?!:D

I got my own DH rig in 2006. Haven't raced yet, but I'm at the local hill about twice a week.