Quantcast

when do you teach your kids to start locking up their bikes?

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
My son is turning 9 this year and we're getting him a new bike. He doesn't lock up his bike right now but I'm curious how other decide when it's time to start teaching that.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the next time he doesn't lock it up....hide it from him for a week.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Take him out some night and comb the nieghborhood until you find an open Garage with a bike in it. Then illustrate to him how easy it is to have your bike stolen. After you get the bike home make him ride it around... I need to remember these little nuggets of wisdom my Dad imparted to us on Fathers day.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
the next time he doesn't lock it up....hide it from him for a week.
Exactly.

When I worked at a bike shop next to the French Quarter, tourists had just rented bikes and left them sitting in front of the shop unlocked.

I moved them into the alley and you can imagine the panic when when they came back out and no more bicycles.

Especially in New Orleans, they assumed they were stolen. And really, if I hadn't walked up, it probably would have been.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
My neighbor across the street had his 10 year old boy start putting his bike behind the gate in the back yard. The boy did as he was told and the bike was stolen. So Dad had to buy the boy a new bike and now they lock it to the front porch column.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When I got her 20", I got the tumbler chain POS lock and she started locking it up at home. I think she was 8.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
When my family moved from a place in the country to an apartment on an army post. I was nine, my youngest brother was three. He didn't have a bike yet, but started locking it as soon as he got one at about four or five.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
for the most part...my brothers and i never left our bikes out.

if we had grown up in the neighborhood where we had lived in philly....that's the only place we would have had to worry about sh!t getting stolen.

texas
louisiana
virginia
no worries..

tennessee...in knoxville...our bikes were in the kitchen with the foosball table...

colorado...my younger brother and i left them on the balcony where we lived in aurora with no problems.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Where my cousin lives in Ontario they just leave them laying in the yard. They don't even have a lock on the back door or Garage.