Quantcast

When I was a youngster...

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
bikes didn't break, we jumped our stingrays with ape hangers and banana seats and I don't remember any breaking.

Kids these days don't have it so good..

bicyclegreen

Chimp
Oct 6, 2008
The first two bikes were pos pacific $100 bikes.

Tough crashes though.

The last few, cased the jumps, and the bikes were split in 2.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
They are all fairly nasty. One thing though about the last one. That kid should not have tried that. He had no helmet and could barely fit on the bike. If that was his dad filming that, shame on him.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Fork snap is one of the worst kind of crashes you can have. Your hands are still stuck to your grips and it's straight to the face and neck without any hands or elbows out in front of you.

The Walmart bikes.... i can see.... But what forks were on that KONA ???

so yeah....BITD, i bent gt forks, mongoose forks, dyno, and haro bmx forks.... but rarely did they snap with no warning, never happened to me, (although it did happen.... if any of yall were into bmx circa 1993... remember the jeff crawn fork break to faceplant, broken neck and paralysis at SCRAP contest.... )

Last edited:

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Scary thing is, if you spend 20 minutes on youtube, there are countless videos like those and most are broken on jumps that should never break a bike.

Come to think of it every broken bike video I have seen have been on small jumps.

Really makes me wonder how often you should replace parts for safetys sake. I have a friend that broke a handlebar once and now he replaces the bars on his bike every year regardless of crashes.

What do you guys think the actual life is on a dj fork? 2 seasons? 1,000 jumps?

This ones brutal...

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
I was a kid whn stingrays came out too. I never saw anything like that... maybe bent forks and wheels exploding... sure bad wrecks but not actual bike failures like those and we were going bigger.

Last edited:

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
if any of yall were into bmx circa 1993... remember the jeff crawn fork break to faceplant, broken neck and paralysis at SCRAP contest.... )
If I remember correctly, Jeff's forks were already bent and he was hammering them back straight. So he knew they were jacked up to begin with, right? I didn't know Jeff but I remember hearing about it from a buddy who was there.