Quantcast

when is it time to service ure forks?

margam_man

Chimp
Jun 28, 2008
Im running Rockshox Toras at the mo n was jst wundering when u need 2 service ure forks.
i bought my bike about 7 months ago n have never serviced them. i mainly do xc but do a bit of downhilling now n then n am keeping up with my mate on his kona koiler deluxe so im always putting them trough there paces. lol

tk1085

Chimp
Apr 15, 2008
:stop:service them now! you should service your forks after the break in period! just think if you buy a new car, how long do you have till the first oil change! around 600 to 1000 miles. trust me you will be amazed at the feeling with new oil.:)

sohel001

Chimp
Jul 3, 2009
my rock shock reba race forks state in there ( ridiculously small time framed) service intervals that the stachions should be lightly oiled to keep the seals from drying out.makes sence to me but i cant be bothered to buy a bottle of fork oil just to put a smearing on every few months.it says dont use wd40 or simular so any recommendations/ cheap solutions?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
:stop:service them now! you should service your forks after the break in period! just think if you buy a new car, how long do you have till the first oil change! around 600 to 1000 miles. trust me you will be amazed at the feeling with new oil.:)
I agree. But most people don't wanna drop the bills (or spend the time to do it at home) just for new oil.

You can always lube the stanchions with tri-flow. Just pull the dust seal away from the stanchion and squeeze some banana scented goodness in. Cycle the fork a few times and the tri-flow will refresh the sponge under the seal. Wipe the extra lube off the stanchion and go. I do this every few rides.

For your specific situation (DH'ing on a TORA) you may want to do a complete rebuild. If you ride a lot (multiple times a week) it's time for an overhaul. If you only ride occasional do it in about 6 months.

My advice, learn to service your suspension on your own. It's easier than you would think (I think it's pretty fun when everything works right). :weee:

-Brian

P.S. Is that a trick question f0ggy?

Last edited: