Quantcast

When people you barely know ask you to be in their wedding:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, so Im sitting on the couch last nite around 9 when the phone rings. It was my friend "C" who I havent talked to in at least a year, and who I havent really been friends with in about 8 years, but he was a good friend back in School, and we were both groomsmen in another friend's wedding about two years ago.

Anyway, I guess at some point he asked me to be in his wedding about two years ago. Not only do I not remember this really, but I figured, you know, if someone wanted me to still be in their wedding they'd let me know.

Well, turns out its in THREE WEEKS! Yeah, this is the first Ive even heard that a date has been set, and he up and calls me out of the blue last nite, saying I need to be fitted for a tux this weekend, etc. So there goes a couple hundred bucks and a couple lost weekends...

Someone kill me now.

Of course, you know, I had to agree. How do you tell someone "Nope, sorry, cant be there for your Wedding, old pal" you know?

I hate life.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Sounds like one of his groomsmen dropped out.

Also note, if the planning is this poor the wedding will be too.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Sounds like one of his groomsmen dropped out.

Also note, if the planning is this poor the wedding will be too.
Weddings are always ****. I was just in my brother's in Chicago in spring and it was hell. The thing about the south is, more times than not, people are too religious to have ALCOHOL at the ****ing reception...which means I'll have to be all clandestine about getting wasted...which isnt near as much fun.
Practices, rehearsal dinners, teh ceremony...I pray for adult SIDS.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yeah, I was in a wedding once for a guy was a fringe friend at best. I guess he didn't have a lot of friends to ask. I didn't even invite him to my wedding.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
you are nicer in real life than on the web. I would have said I was going to be out of town, or in the hospital. **** weddings.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Weddings are always ****. I was just in my brother's in Chicago in spring and it was hell. The thing about the south is, more times than not, people are too religious to have ALCOHOL at the ****ing reception...which means I'll have to be all clandestine about getting wasted...which isnt near as much fun.
Practices, rehearsal dinners, teh ceremony...I pray for adult SIDS.
Well, my wife and I did our best to make sure the people in our wedding parties enjoyed our wedding as much as we did and it seemed to work.

no alcohol at a wedding = :dead:
WTF is the point?
We didn't have alcohol at the ceremony but we had it at the reception... :)
In my mind it's 2 seperate events, one is the act of getting married and the other is the celebration of it.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, my wife and I did our best to make sure the people in our wedding parties enjoyed our wedding as much as we did and it seemed to work.

no alcohol at a wedding = :dead:
WTF is the point?
We didn't have alcohol at the ceremony but we had it at the reception... :)
In my mind it's 2 seperate events, one is the act of getting married and the other is the celebration of it.

Yeah, I agree. And get this, they want to drive to Memphis for the bachelor party now. WTF is in memphis, except even skankier strippers? And these guys, man, they'll be chugging jack daniels and pills the whole way down I-40, and I really feel like Im past all that crap, but how lame is it if one of the groomsmen doesnt go to the bachelor party? I will find my way out of that.

Laura, if I had a decent excuse, I would've used it, but Im not going to lie. I mean, he doesnt really have alot of friends either, so its nice to feel like people appreciate my friendship. It just sucks too.:biggrin:

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
If you can bitch about it here you should have the balls to tell him NO....the good thing about the north... there is always alcohol at weddings...without booze I no I would say no thank you....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yeah, I agree. And get this, they want to drive to Memphis for the bachelor party now. WTF is in memphis, except even skankier strippers? And these guys, man, they'll be chugging jack daniels and pills the whole way down I-40, and I really feel like Im past all that crap, but how lame is it if one of the groomsmen doesnt go to the bachelor party? I will find my way out of that.

Laura, if I had a decent excuse, I would've used it, but Im not going to lie. I mean, he doesnt really have alot of friends either, so its nice to feel like people appreciate my friendship. It just sucks too.:biggrin:

Well for my B-party we just went to a Phillies game and played some pool, like you said I too am past that age of binge drinking etc.

So do you know if there won't be any alcohol at this wedding for sure?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
If you can bitch about it here you should have the balls to tell him NO....the good thing about the north... there is always alcohol at weddings...without booze I no I would say no thank you....
Yeah even if the booze is a cash bar (like the dumb a$$ wedding I went to 2 weeks ago in Maine) it's still there!!!

I guess in the North it's either Full Open Bar, Beer & Wine Open Bar, or Cash Bar but never is the option to not have alcohol even thought of.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
It's not a "balls" issue in the least. It's like paying taxes. It's a responsibility. In this case to a friend who asked me to do something very serious. If I agreed to do it, then Im doing it.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Bring your bike and cruise over to AR and I'll ride The Womble with you...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well for my B-party we just went to a Phillies game and played some pool, like you said I too am past that age of binge drinking etc.

So do you know if there won't be any alcohol at this wedding for sure?
I dont know for sure, but I know his family (Cops :bonk: ) and I highly doubt it will be any good.

Im not above binge drinking, just above it when mixed w/ too many other drugs and interstate highways.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Bring your bike and cruise over to AR and I'll ride The Womble with you...
I actually am meaning to ride that sometime soon. Most likely spring, are you doing that endurance race there? Got a link?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I dont know for sure, but I know his family (Cops :bonk: ) and I highly doubt it will be any good.

Im not above binge drinking, just above it when mixed w/ too many other drugs and interstate highways.

Yeah... maybe you could be the DD since you'll only be Binge Drinking!

Wow, around here the best weddings are either cop weddings or firefighter weddings = most booze and most fights!!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
It's a tough one... but doable IF you train for it....
Since the broken foot, Ive been riding at least 10 miles 3-4 days a week.

Im going to up that to about 14-15 and try to once-a-week put something big together. I dont own a road bike and have no urge to buy one.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Since the broken foot, Ive been riding at least 10 miles 3-4 days a week.

Im going to up that to about 14-15 and try to once-a-week put something big together. I dont own a road bike and have no urge to buy one.
I have no interest at all in roadie riding... so I bought a single speed mtb.

Damn is it ever fun/challenging/great workout... in fact I haven't touched my Racer X in over a month now because I ride the SS 4+ times a week and I am now starting to be able to keep up with some of my riding pals. It's fun to pass gearies on hill climbs.. :D

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I have no interest at all in roadie riding... so I bought a single speed mtb.

Damn is it ever fun/challenging/great workout... in fact I haven't touched my Racer X in over a month now because I ride the SS 4+ times a week and I am now starting to be able to keep up with some of my riding pals. It's fun to pass gearies on hill climbs.. :D
I dont miss my SS too much, but it was fun to beat people on it.

So anyway, as for "endurance" type mileage, I will never be an XC racer, but I think endurance style stuff is more suited to me, should I just ride 30-milers regularly before such a race? 60 miles is a long ass way! Or should I get up to like 45 miles?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I dont miss my SS too much, but it was fun to beat people on it.

So anyway, as for "endurance" type mileage, I will never be an XC racer, but I think endurance style stuff is more suited to me, should I just ride 30-milers regularly before such a race? 60 miles is a long ass way! Or should I get up to like 45 miles?

I think you can do 30 milers and so just fine.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I had the same thing happen to me when a friend of a friend- a guy I partied and threw darts with, but only because he was in my best man's band- asked me to be in his wedding. I told him that I was going to be on a business trip to Florida for corporate training, but like an esteemless chick, he wouldn't take the hint. He tried to get me to come to his pre-wedding events that were prior to my phantom departure, so one by one, I had to call him up and beg out 11th hour. For all I know, he was just angling for another wedding gift. I literally haven't spoken with or seen him one time since.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Oh man... I would have had "unbreakable plans" the day of. Screw the money... you are out 10+ hours minimum. The only bonuses are if you get to take off work, and if there is beer at the reception...

By the way if there is beer or free drink I expect to hear reports of at least 4 of these:

1. Flip Coffee table onto chick.
2. Try to make out with a fattie as GF watches
3. Shoot bottle rockets out of mouth while riding a unicycle down the steps.
4. Pull up mailbox and use as a hammer to smash another mailbox.
5. Get completely naked and pour beer all over yourself.
6. Vomit on something.
7. Throw fruit at the wall.
8. Bring sparklers... you know what to do.
9. Cuss GF and make her leave.
10. Bring Bad Santa DVD... you know what to do
11. And My favorite "Durka Durka".

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Oh man... I would have had "unbreakable plans" the day of. Screw the money... you are out 10+ hours minimum. The only bonuses are if you get to take off work, and if there is beer at the reception...

By the way if there is beer or free drink I expect to hear reports of at least 4 of these:

1. Flip Coffee table onto chick.
2. Try to make out with a fattie as GF watches
3. Shoot bottle rockets out of mouth while riding a unicycle down the steps.
4. Pull up mailbox and use as a hammer to smash another mailbox.
5. Get completely naked and pour beer all over yourself.
6. Vomit on something.
7. Throw fruit at the wall.
8. Bring sparklers... you know what to do.
9. Cuss GF and make her leave.
10. Bring Bad Santa DVD... you know what to do
11. And My favorite "Durka Durka".
:p:p:p

APPROVED!!!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
****, a GIFT! DAMMIT!
Get him tickets to someplace that sounds cool but actually sucks... make sure its really far away so in order to use the 'gift', he'll have to spend far more time, effort, and money than the tickets are worth plus he'll be bored and stuck once he gets there. Its a taste of sweet revenge.

Inspired by a Seinfeld episode... Jerry tries to give George tickets to the superbowl, and george says "are you going to pay my air fare and hotel bill?"... Jerry says no... so George says... "So these tickets are actually a bill for $1500 dollars, forget it!".

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I've had that happen a couple times where I was the last second stand in guy called for the wedding. I point blank told the three guys who have asked like this that if they were asking less then a month ahead of the wedding it means someone got their man thong in a bunch and told them to eat a d!ck. I told them to do the same thing.

I look at it like this. If we're "bros" enough for me to be in your wedding, then we should have been bro enough for you to ask me in the first place, not as a stand in.

And if there's no beer, well screw that on roller skates.

Though you could get some mescaline and really make the whole thing entertaining.

On the other hand, are you taking your GF with you? if not, cum on a bridesmaid, then send her back out to the party. Put the ass back in class brother. Live the dream!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
It really wasnt that someone bailed out at all. Ijust hadnt really talked to the guy since he asked.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
this is my brother daryl and this is my other brother daryl...ha..ha...ha....sorry man someone had to ask....

L

luelling

...So there goes a couple hundred bucks and a couple lost weekends...
That sucks.....I am paying for my best mans tux and his hotel to stay at up here. I think its rude to ask someone to be in your wedding and then expect them to pay for all the crap themselves

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
I was in TN visiting my cousins granparents [other side of family] when I was 16.I will never forget when he told us you little bastids stay out of trouble this is not CT. dowh here they shoot first ask questions later.....scared the crap out of me...everything was going goog until opryland....three cops on horses came running at us when we jumped a fence and where hanging out behind some hotel...they were pissed off.....escaped with a warning though..