Quantcast

When to bleed brakes?

MI62887

Chimp
Jun 12, 2008
I bought a used pair of Hayes 9's, upgrading from Hayes mechanical brakes. I replaced the pads on the rear and the fronts still look pretty good. I like the feel of the hydraulics so far, but I am a little surprised they don't grab more. I'm wondering if they need to be bleed.

How do you know when to bleed them? I have a bleed kit and may just do it anyway, but I was wondering if there was any indicators that would necessitate a bleed.

I did a search but didn't find much....

Thanks

MI62887

Chimp
Jun 12, 2008
I think I found the answer:

When To Bleed: Merrick recommends bleeding your brakes once every two years. Other signs that it's time to bleed are when the lever goes straight to the bar when pulled or has a spongy feel.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Bleed them depending on how often you ride. Two years is far too long. I recommend bleeding them once a year minimum. Some people bleed their brakes once a month, but then again, they ride a LOT.

jbro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
Hayes bleed kit sux. Get a syringe and take it slow the first time you bleed them. Remove the pads so you dont get fluid on them.

Rob K

Chimp
Aug 25, 2008
Southern Cali (USA)
Make sure you bed/seat the pads correctly.

Are you using Hayes pads or some generic third party version? I've never had luck with third party versions other than EBC.

Since you bought them used you have to assume that they've never been bled or it's been a long time since they were (if ever); I would bleed them.

FWIW, I have the Hayes bleed kit and have never had problems; sort of cumbersome compared to the Avid kit which is basically a syringe. I can tell you that the Hayes is way better than the Shimano Deore bleed kit! (OMG!)