Quantcast

When you can't ride, How do you stay in shape?

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
The weather's been nasty out here. At least it is when I can ride. Lot's of Lightning within 5 nautical miles of base and rain.

So I have been swimming a lot. I joined a Master's Swim team out here, it's been nice.

But what Can I do to stay in riding shape? I run a 5k twice a week for squadron PT.

What do you all do when the weather is nasty? I was thinking about grabbing a cheapo bike and a trainer, any reviews?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
crossfit, knee grow. If you want all over fitness, it's the real deal. If you're talking pure cycling fitness, spinning can be less boring than golf.

Did you delete your other thread or did the moods?

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I did, Loco said I should stop. The only way I could was by deleting it. I don't think I will be posting anything new about my personal life until I am getting married.

You say cross fit, that's getting pretty popular out here with all the want to be MMA fighters.

Is it good ****?

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I did, Loco said I should stop. The only way I could was by deleting it. I don't think I will be posting anything new about my personal life until I am getting married.

You say cross fit, that's getting pretty popular out here with all the want to be MMA fighters.

Is it good ****?
Fine...blame me. :rolleyes:

I thought same sex marriage failed in CA. :think:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Angry masturbation thinking about my ex getting drilled by a bunch of guys in the sand seems to keep me in shape. Mind you I'm pretty chaffed up, but I'm not putting on any weight either. It could just be blood loss from my nightly jerking with my tears, but I don't think so.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Angry masturbation thinking about my ex getting drilled by a bunch of guys in the sand seems to keep me in shape. Mind you I'm pretty chaffed up, but I'm not putting on any weight either. It could just be blood loss from my nightly jerking with my tears, but I don't think so.
I masturbate angrily thinking about your ex too.......

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I only dirt jump once a week, but I ride trials on pallets and such in my yard every day or two. Trials riding is tough. I don't masturbate at the same time though. I might try it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I only dirt jump once a week, but I ride trials on pallets and such in my yard every day or two. Trials riding is tough. I don't masturbate at the same time though. I might try it.
Not only is trials a great workout, it really helps improve your technical handling skillz.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Is it good ****?
crossfit is the real deal. I think it's similar in exercise theory to P90X, but I don't know too much about that program.

Crossfit is essentially high intensity interval training for your entire body. It teaches or utilizes as many muscles as possible in each exercise. Ie the kipping pullup looks like cheating (I thought it was at first) but you're adding muscles to the motion...plus you end up doing so many that you're still giving your dead-hang muscles a good workout.

Anyways, follow the daily routine and take rest days as needed. When I was religious about it I'd do 3 on 1 off 2 on 1 off but more often I'd just add it to my regular lifting routine. You can scale the workouts as needed; some are reps (Murph) some are weights (thrusters etc). My favorite are the "5 rounds for time of..." workouts, as they tend to destroy your entire body and by the fifth round, yer dead.

Edit: oh yeah, and mma wannabees like it because it works. Same with SEALs, cops, firemen, etc. Pretty much anybody who needs functional, total body fitness. Body builders avoid it because it doesn't build size as much as fitness.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I do some core strengthening exercises, hiking, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, spinning on the trainer, some weights, drink lots of beer and generally chase around a 3 year old.

I looked into CrossFit too...I was BEAT after a short session so I may try it again!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Five rounds for time of:
30 Glute-ham sit-ups
25 Back extensions

I did this one some time ago. It looks so easy "30 situps, that's nothing". Then you actually do it and you can't move or sit up for a few days...impressive stuff.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Five rounds for time of:
30 Glute-ham sit-ups
25 Back extensions

I did this one some time ago. It looks so easy "30 situps, that's nothing". Then you actually do it and you can't move or sit up for a few days...impressive stuff.
Doing that as rx'd with a glute-ham bench is far from enjoyable.

I'll second (or third) crossfit. Incredibly effective, easy to do, requires minimal equipment.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have a CycleOps fluid trainer and it works pretty well. I just use the road bike with less-nice wheels and an old tire. I basically stopped lifting weights and just hike, walk and ride to stay in shape. Of course riding outside is better, but being on the trainer and watching a movie or TV isn't so bad. And if you want to punish yourself, riding on the trainer can be harder than riding outside.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The weather's been nasty out here. At least it is when I can ride. Lot's of Lightning within 5 nautical miles of base and rain.

So I have been swimming a lot. I joined a Master's Swim team out here, it's been nice.

But what Can I do to stay in riding shape? I run a 5k twice a week for squadron PT.

What do you all do when the weather is nasty? I was thinking about grabbing a cheapo bike and a trainer, any reviews?
Don't be such a baby. Since my unfortunate discovery that you live in the same town I do, let me be the first to say you have no excuse. You can practicly set a watch by the summer rains in this town. Get out before 3 pm, or after 5 pm. And on the off chance you get rained on, its 70 plus degress, your hardly gonna get hypothermia. I've ridden at least twice a week to work plus one good mountian bike ride all summer and only been rained on once.