Quantcast

when you cut your steerer tube

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
do you cut it so that the spacers you'll need is at an absolute minimum, or do you leave a little extra?

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
I always leave a little extra. Also if youre using my old thomson stem be sure to run it with a spacer on top of the stem. I had a 3/8 spacer on top and bottom of the stem. With one on the top it lets the stem clamp to the steerer so much better than if you just cut the steerer so it ended in the stem, cut it so there's just a tiny lip of it sticking over the top of the stem

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
id leave 2 inches on bikes with small tube things. And be sure to mesure twice and cut once. (ditto)

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Curb Hucker said:
I always leave a little extra. Also if youre using my old thomson stem be sure to run it with a spacer on top of the stem. I had a 3/8 spacer on top and bottom of the stem. With one on the top it lets the stem clamp to the steerer so much better than if you just cut the steerer so it ended in the stem, cut it so there's just a tiny lip of it sticking over the top of the stem
:stupid:

thats what I do, leave a little extra and run a spacer on top, this allows my stem to clamp over a larger surface of the steer tube. (gives me more confidence)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Werd to all, I leave a variable amount depending on the HT length of the bike. If the bike has a ~6" HT than cut it perfect+5-10mm for spacers, if the bike has a ~5" HT then leave +20-25mm...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
ALWAYS cut extra, that way when you sell it, you can ask for extra (or the norm) because the steerer tube will fit most bikes out there. After all, do you know how small the market is for a fork with a 6" steerer tube? Not very big.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Definitely cut it with a little extra, for a few reasons...

- makes the fork easier to sell if you every want to
- makes the fork easier to move between bikes if you ever want to
- allows you to run more spacers, which allows for more fine tuning of bar height

VooDoo

asshat
Dec 21, 2001
Toronto
Always cut from 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 (depends if single clamp or double clamp).
Also helps the resale value. Too long is way better than too short.