Quantcast

When you return from a big riding trip, are you bored by home?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Wow, since I got back from Whistler and out west in general, I just cant seem to go and actually ride my MTB. Ive been taking the roadie out on beer runs and riding to school, but that's really about it for better than a month now.
You guys ever get in such a rut after a big trip? Nothing seems exciting here at the moment.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, also, Ive been exploring some of the new waters around where we moved to. That's taking up riding time as well. Today I landed this nice 18" smallmouth on a creek near the house. Sweet!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm usually glad to be home but the tedious tasks in life piss me off. I was on the road all of August and it seems I have spent all my time since being back mowing the lawn, doing dishes and folding laundry. I hate it and my house looks like **** as a result.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's because you hate were you live, that's all.

I am usually glad to be home, but that's because I'm happy where I live.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
It's because you hate were you live, that's all.

I am usually glad to be home, but that's because I'm happy where I live.
Y'know...I actually thought portland was ok...minus all the tortured soul types with tight pants, fixies and dredlocks all over the place. And the bums. Dont know about living in a city like that.

rky mtn srfr

Monkey
Nov 26, 2006
Boulder
after spending 4 days and 5 rides in crested butte, I had no interest in my bike or riding. it was depressing, and i was physically spent. took almost 2 weeks to have fun on my mtn bike again. now i just want to carve powder turns, come on SNOW!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Also, my spin rig is a medium light 6ft Loomis GL2 with a Shimano Sustain 2000FD. Very smoove.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
4wt, 4pc, 8ft St. Croix Premier w/ a Teton Tioga reel.
Fish alot of hoppers and deer hair frogs up this way for bass.
I try and stick with the basics for trout when I go as well.
Very Nice

I use T3 864-4 8' 6" with a CFO Disc Drag 90% of the time but I also have TLS Power Matrix 843-2 8'4" with a Battenkill large arbor disc drag that I use on occasion. I have a 7 peice nd a bamboo rod that come out for travel and nostalgia but that's about it.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
i spent six weeks on the road this summer and haven't been pleased at all since coming back home. i imagine if i lived in a place that had multiple riding spots within a 1-3 hour drive i'd be a lot happier.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
In the winter all the killer mountain runs disappear in the snow around here. It's hard to get motivated especially with iffy weather. But it's funny, in that i never get back from a ride feeling like i got jipped....

Also it helps to meet more people to ride with to help stay motivated. Good company in anything you do is always a plus.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Y'know...I actually thought portland was ok...minus all the tortured soul types with tight pants, fixies and dredlocks all over the place. And the bums. Dont know about living in a city like that.
I don't live in the city, but I do enjoy visiting. I live on the west side closer to the coastal range. Much more riding out this way, but Portland as a city has much to offer without as much crap.

Not to mention the fact we have the most strip joints per square foot in the world (and it's all nude, mind you)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
When I lived down in San Diego my answer was always yes because the riding there completely sucked. Now though, my answer is no. I love all my riding spots here and of course, the drinking spots too :) It's always fun to go new places and see new stuff though.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Other than WORK, I don't mind coming home. I <3 home. The only thing that keeps me from riding would be sore legs. We got back from NC and I was itching to ride again.

I usually sit at my desk at work though and just stare into my monitor for a few days.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
I just got back from Downieville on Monday and home still rocks. Of course I live 15 minutes from two great riding spots. One attracts people from all over. The other is mostly unknown except to locals.

[/gloating]