Quantcast

Where do you buy spokes?

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Need some help. Want to build a wheel and have the hub and rim but now looking into the spokes and nipples. Looking on sites like Jensonusa and others I notice you have to buy a box of more than i need and they're like a dollar a piece. So I was wondering where to buy single spokes. I noticed on Cambriabikes.com they sell singles for like .35 cents and up, but don't have the size I need. I'm looking for a 256mm length.

Also, being a first time wheel builder, I'm going off of my own measurements and then entering them into an online spoke calculator. What can I do to double check my sizes? In case any wheel building wizards are out there that might know my size just from knowing the hub and rim they are...

rim: Halo SAS 26" 36 hole

hub: 36 hole Eastern single speed with 135mm rear spacing

any help is appreciated, thanks

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
thanks man, but i tried dans already and even spoke to them on the phone. they dont have spokes up that that length but they said you can call your order in and they will cut spokes to your specific length. That was another question, how good is it to go this route?
has anybody gotten spokes cut to length from there?

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
In general you can be a few mms off in size. So if they have any 254s, that might work or even 258s.
really? see i've herd people say that it's important to get it to the exact mm.
Man, thats why i wanna try it out myself, just to really see whats up.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Well, I'm not building wheels for sale or reputation. So I build them all the time with spokes are are close enough.

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
your prolly going to have to get them custom cut. I got mine from Shirks bike shop, east earl PA 717-445-5731 ask for luke or james, they will have whatever you need

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
There are some sites that will tell you spoke length by hub and rim. If you take accurate measurements, the way you did it is best.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Hey Jason, just go to Shirks. They are right of rt 23 not to far from you, near where 322 and 23 cross.

Take your hub and rim and they will cut the spokes while you wait, they seriously stock about 5,000 spokes and have 2 machines.

Did you get that rim at the jam?

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Hey Jason, just go to Shirks. They are right of rt 23 not to far from you, near where 322 and 23 cross.

Take your hub and rim and they will cut the spokes while you wait, they seriously stock about 5,000 spokes and have 2 machines.

Did you get that rim at the jam?

thanks Ted, I'll look into that place soon. No, haha, i had this rim and hub for a few months and just didn't get around to building it but now it's getting to be a necessity.

Hey man, the jam was fun and i think would be considered a success. good times all around.