Quantcast

Where do you buy your hardware and CPU?

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
It's about time for a new system and I was wondering who makes a quality semi-custom computer. I'm tired of Dell and don't want to go through any other large company - the custom boxes I've had in the past were much cheaper, reliable and performed exactly how I needed them to...I just don't recall who I went through. Ideas?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Does newegg do custom prebuilt? I thought they only sold parts and brand name systems. I've always had luck building my own systems, it takes some research but if you're careful you can get a great system for quite a bit less than the equivalent Dell and you have the satisfaction that you did it yourself. That said, I've had more frustrations with hardware that didn't have the right drivers supplied and DOA components because I haven't bought prebuilt. Unless you're very patient (waiting for RMA's and shipping time can be downright frustrating when you've spent $350 for a video card that you can't even use) or have experience building your own systems I'd suggest buying from a shop that is local to you, PC club has pretty good prices and a good return policy if you have one locally.

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
either Newegg, or if you live near a Fry's they have some amazing combo deals on a core 2 duo and mobo. ebay the mobo for $20 to $30 and buy a decent motherboard. other then that, just decide on what you want and then wait for some 4th of July sales.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Shopping at Fry's (at least the one in San Diego) was worse than shopping at Wal-Mart, the product was never where it was supposed to be on the shelf, the prices never matched the advertisements, many of the advertised specials were sold out quickly and an incredibly similar product would be on the shelf in it's place with a much larger price tag. Employees try to be helpful but really don't know what they're talking about or where to find products in their store. If you know exactly what you are looking for and can find a box that doesn't have a returned merchandise sticker you may be lucky enough to find what you are looking for (as long as it isn't the San Diego store.) If you need advice or want to be able to get in and get out I'd suggest somewhere else, Fry's prices are good but not great, for most items you can match or beat Fry's prices online or locally depending on where local is.