Quantcast

Where To Buy A Bike In Olympia?

Jan 14, 2005
Olympia Washington
I recently moved to Oly, found out it was a great place to ride (and anyway, better than chicago) and want to buy a bike. I've checked out Falcone's Schwinn and the place down the road, but I was wondering where you guys would look for a new bike?
I'm in the market for a solid hard tail in the $600-$700 price range. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Josh

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
In lacey there is a shop called JOYRIDE. 360-491-9551. There a great shop that might have a bike to fit your needs. If your new to the area PM me and i can dig you up good directions, or call them and they can help. Other good shops to check out would be the stand in downtown oly. They are know for good service. The bike shop up in east oly is ok, but there sesrvice and knowledge lacks. Falcone i'd avoid, and the other shop you checked was the peak and they deal more in high end bikes. Definatly call or check out Joyride.

Good luck.
Damon

Jan 14, 2005
Olympia Washington
Thanks for the info. As for getting to Joy Ride, it's going to be a journey for sure (I'm on the Evergreen campus and restricted to the bus) but I'll do it anyway. Falcone's seemed a little bit flakey to me, and a little bit like they didnt give a **** whether I bought a bike or not. So Joyride it is. Thanks for the advice.

olytrayne

Chimp
Apr 7, 2002
olympia
Bikestand downtown is your best bet. The Peak is a great shop if'n you don't have to deal with the owner, don't need repairs done, and aren't expecting good service. The owner, Bill, at Bikestand is a great guy. Also, the Bikestand is really easy as its two blocks from the transit center.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
If you can make it in to the Seattle Udistrict area, I would try Supergo. Some don't like shopping there, but I've only had good experiences. They match pretty much any price as well so you can get some great deals. I had good experiences with Gregg's as well, but that would be more out of the way for you.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Call both Joyride and the BikeStand. Both great shops, both good service at and after sale. Tell them what your looking for before even getting on the bus.

Most the other oly shops are pretty weak, and i wouldnt suggest them. As you said falcone could give a rats ass, but hey, if you want circa 89 mtb gear at full retail price there the place. Oh, and ask Jodysbike about his frame buying, or trying to buy experience there.....

I think the U district by bus may be tough from Olympia...... :)

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
[

I think the U district by bus may be tough from Olympia...... :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't want to push him from the small guys who have great customer service...It's just so hard to give up a good deal sometimes...especially when you like the people at the shop. :p

Hey, who needs a bus when you got frenz with cars. ;)

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
My vote is JoyRide first (Mihn, the owner is really good to deal with),
then The BikeStand (always helpful).

I know the head wrench @ JoyRide just move to B.C., but the other guy I have dealt w/ seems to be good/cool also.

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
If you would be willing to drive to Bellingham, Come see us at Fanatik Bike. We can build you a custom hardtail, maybe a Steelhead or a Banshee Scratch

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
SuperSlow said:
If you would be willing to drive to Bellingham, Come see us at Fanatik Bike. We can build you a custom hardtail, maybe a Steelhead or a Banshee Scratch
Haha i hear they got some good shops in Spokane too.

olytrayne

Chimp
Apr 7, 2002
olympia
Did John finally move to BC? He had been talking about that for years. Is he still on RM?

I would definately suggest "Falcone S" if you want purple anodized stuff...

Jan 14, 2005
Olympia Washington
What's the deal? What could you guys build me for 675? I'm def. willing to consider a greyhound to Bellingham for a good deal. Let me know, and thanks for the help everyone.
Do you guys have any reccomendations for hard tails in that price range?

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
I am selling a good .243 frame and an older marz z-1. Search the buy and sell with my name.

I also have one extra hayes 6" hydro. I still have good rear hub too.

I will drive the stuff to olympia.

Jan 14, 2005
Olympia Washington
Just called all the above mentioned shops. Here's what I was told: JoyRide has a hardrock w/disc's and alivio, and the Bike Stand has nothing but the guy encouraged me to wait a while till the 2005 models come out.
Both options are poor.
But check this deal on supergo.com :

Alloy 6061 frame with excelling stiffness and lightweight, 1-1/8" integrated headtube, replaceable dropout and disc mounts with an efficient rear monostay. Rock Shox Judy SL fork with U-turn adjustable travel- (70 to 108mm), Truvativ riser bar and Five D ISIS crankset. Shifting duties are handled via Shimano Deore 9 speed shifters and front derailleur. XT rear derailleur. Hayes hydraulic HFX9-XC 6" disc brakes & WTB Speed Disc rims. WTB Weirwolf 2.1" tires. Wellgo WAM-M919 clipless pedals.

for 650 bucks!

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Well, if you do manage to make it there...the prices are pretty killer. You may try to check online, and bring in the add to see if they will match. Supergo will match almost any advertised price.

I'm not sure if the Giant STP is what you are looking for, but it's a pretty nice hardtail for urban riding. I think I saw one there for a little over 400...on sale.
Giant has a lifetime warranty on their frames, so that's a nice plus as well.

The IH bike you mentioned sounds like a killer deal as well....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Loftyendeavors said:
So what do you think about the supergo bike?
For 600 bones you get what you pay for... If you have problems with the bike and your having to ride the bus to North Seattle everytime you have issues, don't you think that'll get pretty old? Supergo will have the better deals (some of the time) certainly but there are intangibles that a "good" bike store will bring to the table, and that's superior customer service. You can always try to ask for a better price from your local bike shop all they can say is no. If all else fails and you love that bike hell go buy one from Southern California then....
Sometimes the devils in the details but really when it comes down to it if you're buying a bike on the cheap, you need to worry more about the frame, wheelset, and fork, and not worry so much about the components since you can upgrade later. But even more importantly than that you need to get fitted correctly for a bike. A good bike shop will let you hop on a bunch of bikes and get you fitted correctly and that's the most important thing, is to get dialed in on size/fit.
Now back to the 600 bucks, well you get what you pay for. You're getting a standard hardtail frame, Hayes 9's are garbage, rims are a pair of taco's waiting to happen, that fork is a noodle, and the rest of the components are sub-par. That's why it's 650 bucks.
If you ride alot you'll be lucky to make it thru the year without having to dump money back into the bike. But if you ride every once in a while, and not very hard, you should be fine.
Sorry if this sounds harsh but it's the truth, but hell if alls you got is around 600 bones i'd say get the bike that you'll be most happy with and ride the hell out of it. And if you break parts you'll find the ways and means to get new ones, all of us here certainly do. So good luck, and welcome to the monkey. :)

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
MMike said:
So how come everyone hates the peak?
Don't hate, just don't connect.

Frequented JoyRide because of John, but like I said, he is gone now. Think I will still go there because the other/new guy seems cool.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Skookum said:
LOTS OF WORDS
He speaks the truth. Supergo has the deals, but not the service, plus its real far for you if it does have issues. I think the $650 range bike is not going to last for lots of hard riding, but maybe at this point it would serve more as a commuter/light duty trail bike? Can you desctribe better your intentions with the bike?

I'd get the phone book and call the other shops in town. Theres one over in Tumwater by the brewery, and also the Bike Gallery up in east OLY. Your first goal is to find a bike that fits your price range. Once you get a few options, then you can sort out service. Also, if you do want the discount house deal, look into the performance store in Tacoma. There alot closer than supergo and may have a similar deal.

MMIKE.... i thought you were banned here...... :)
Most people have a love/hate relation to the peak.... much like peoples relation ship to DHZ...... Personally i have no problem with them (or DHZ), but in this case that caliber of shop wouldnt support this guys needs.

Jan 14, 2005
Olympia Washington
I'm going to seattle today to ride this beast despite all the naysaying! My intentions for this bike are pretty modest, but I would like to do some weekend-warrior-single track and then just to commute. I'll tell you how it goes.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Loftyendeavors said:
I'm going to seattle today to ride this beast despite all the naysaying! My intentions for this bike are pretty modest, but I would like to do some weekend-warrior-single track and then just to commute. I'll tell you how it goes.
Well then....
There you go.
Hope to see you out on the trail. :)

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
With the right help you could put a bike togeather online and at Reycled Cycles in Seattle that would last a couple of years of hard riding. Example:

This was built for under $1000

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
olytrayne said:
Bikestand downtown is your best bet. The Peak is a great shop if'n you don't have to deal with the owner, don't need repairs done, and aren't expecting good service. The owner, Bill, at Bikestand is a great guy. Also, the Bikestand is really easy as its two blocks from the transit center.
Well... someone had to say it. :evil: :cool: :evil:

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
Another option is to shop all the buy and sells and classifieds on the net. The one here and mtbr has tons of stuff. If your resourceful you can really get nice bike built for cheap.

sudhamike

Chimp
Nov 26, 2003
I bought a bike at "The Puke", I mean "Peak", about two years ago. I spent thousands of dollars at their store. And they still ripped me off whenever they could. I refuse to spend money there even if it means I can't ride on Sundays. Mike's not so bad, but Erik is a complete f-head.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Joyride is around the 4500 block of Lacey Blvd
Check Bike Tech in Oly as well, I know they take care of their customers
I had a good experience at Schwinn when I bent the hanger on my Enduro (that I didn't even buy there)