Quantcast

Where to eat in New Orleans?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Heading to Nuh-awlins next week and I've been tasked with choosing some good spots to eat.

Where's good, y'all?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
K-Pauls is pretty good but spendy, you need reservations. Johnny's Po-boys in the quarter is cheap and good. Go to Dons in Lafayette for really good Cajun seafood. The food in Lafayette is better and cheaper then in NO.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Lafayette looks a kinda far... Po Boy's looks like it'd be a good lunch spot.

Any good dinner suggestions? Maybe a little more upscale? Let's top it out at $100 for dinner for 2...

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Lots of little chi chi places in the garden district fit that bill. I haven't been to NO since Katrina. Take the trolley as it is pretty cool.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It is a good restaurant. It is a beautiful place and the food was excellent, especially if you want to go someplace special.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Location, location, location. On the other side of the block is Dooky Chase's, which is much more well known, partly because of its Orleans Avenue address.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
OK, I'll try to get all of them (wife's family is from there, go back all the time).

Cafe du monde for beignets, yeah its touristy, but you can't really get 'em anywhere else
Johnny's po-boys on st. louis - best po-boys
Mother's po-boys (poydras) as a back up
K-pauls's is always good. Around the corner is NOLA, which is Emeril's place
Acme oyster (on iberville)
Deanie's seafood (on iberville or out in bucktown if you get out of the quarter)
R&O's (on the levee in bucktown)
Mandina's (on carrollton in mid-city)
Camelia grill (possibly on carrollton)
Cooter browns (near camelia grill)
Port of call (burgers, dicey area)
Palace cafe (on canal - might not be open anymore, owned by brenan's)
Commander's palace (real fancy in the garden district)
Ralph and cacoo's (the red lobster of new orleans, in the quarter and outside)
Napolean house (chartres)
Galatoire's (old school)
Antoines (old school)
Brennan's (on royal, pricey)
Pascal Manale (BBQ shrimp)
Tujages (upstairs on decatur street)
Cafe pontalba (on jackson square)
Mulate's (by the convention center on julia)

That should get you started. The street names could be off, I'm doing this from memory before the second cup of coffee.

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
if you are going to new orleans, you don't have to ask this question. just get into the french quarter, pick up an identifiable and findable little rock, blinfold one of your crew, spin them around on Tulane street and have them toss the stone lightly over their shoulder and there you go.

you will not have any problem finding a place to eat, they are everywhere and they are all excellent, and you are gonna have a blast!

come on now, give new orleans some credit. they even have a McDonalds on one of their strips. (I thinks it's decatur street)

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Galatoires is frikkin AWESOME & so old school NOLA.
Commanders Palace is a MUST.
Pascal Manales for BBQ shrimp.
I hear Tujages prix fixe (sp?) is great.

I am jealous.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Check Danny & Clydes stores for good po' boys. Some of the better eating places are on the West Bank (Gretna, Marreo, Belle Chasse) and are a lot less pricey.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
OK, I'll try to get all of them (wife's family is from there, go back all the time).

Cafe du monde for beignets, yeah its touristy, but you can't really get 'em anywhere else
Johnny's po-boys on st. louis - best po-boys
Mother's po-boys (poydras) as a back up
K-pauls's is always good. Around the corner is NOLA, which is Emeril's place
Acme oyster (on iberville)
Deanie's seafood (on iberville or out in bucktown if you get out of the quarter)
R&O's (on the levee in bucktown)
Mandina's (on carrollton in mid-city)
Camelia grill (possibly on carrollton)
Cooter browns (near camelia grill)
Port of call (burgers, dicey area)
Palace cafe (on canal - might not be open anymore, owned by brenan's)
Commander's palace (real fancy in the garden district)
Ralph and cacoo's (the red lobster of new orleans, in the quarter and outside)
Napolean house (chartres)
Galatoire's (old school)
Antoines (old school)
Brennan's (on royal, pricey)
Pascal Manale (BBQ shrimp)
Tujages (upstairs on decatur street)
Cafe pontalba (on jackson square)
Mulate's (by the convention center on julia)

That should get you started. The street names could be off, I'm doing this from memory before the second cup of coffee.
I've eaten at all but 4 of the restaurants on your list.

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I was bloated off of Cafe Du Monde Beingets! I went there everyday for breakfast...haha

I highly recommend Mothers and Johnny's as well. Mothers was always packed everyday!

I can't remember the place we had dinner that was the best blackened cat fish I ever had though.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Oh, just so you know what you are getting yourself into:

This is your breakfast at cafe du monde:

We order 4 orders and 4 coffees. Only a loser tries to get by with only 3 in a single order, ya gotta have 6:

Lunch at johnny's:

Afternoon beer (~500 to choose from) and oysters at cooter brown's:

And then the famous chili cheese omelette at camelia grill:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The two New Orleans dishes I rarely ate: beignets and raw oysters

My favorites: jambalaya, mac & cheese, and crawfish boils

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
BBQ shrimp is also good. My wifes grandmother had the best recipe. We make it every few years. Garlic, bays crab boil, some other stuff, and about 10 pounds of butter.

It was creepy to watch my family in new orleans for our wedding. There wasn't any food they wanted to eat. Her family was all digging in. I wonder if I was adopted, I'll eat anything, even cooked silkworms (bondaegi).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BBQ shrimp is also good. My wifes grandmother had the best recipe. We make it every few years. Garlic, bays crab boil, some other stuff, and about 10 pounds of butter.

It was creepy to watch my family in new orleans for our wedding. There wasn't any food they wanted to eat. Her family was all digging in. I wonder if I was adopted, I'll eat anything, even cooked silkworms (bondaegi).
When I had BBQ shrimp, I quickly learned BBQ sounds better than butter shrimp.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
If you find yourself on Magazine St. Check out Slim Goodies. It is a funky little diner that has awesome breakfast with things on the menu like the Jewish Coonass (2 potato latkes topped w/fresh spinach, 2 eggs, crawfish etouffee, biscuit) & an Etoufee Omlet. Throw in a Turbodog or two & .......:drool: