Quantcast

Where to Ride After Rain

Feb 21, 2008
Hello All,

I'm fairly new to mountain biking and am actually picking up a Giant Trance X2 today that I recently ordered. Anxious to hit the trails this weekend but the weather isn't looking too favorable. Might try to go out Sunday if the rain lets up, are there any places that wouldn't be too muddy, maybe some hard-packed fireroad that drains well?

So far I've been to Santa Teresa Park, Russian Ridge, Saratoga Gap and the Long Ridge OSP areas. I assume a lot of these trails will be closed this weekend.

Suggestions?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I actually haven't been to any of the places you mentioned. I like to try and give trails 3-5 days after a rain to start riding them again.

I normally ride the Los Gatos creek trail during the week rain or shine. It is more cross country style riding. I normally do it on my cyclocross bike. Its a mix between paved and fire road. Some good climbs in it towards the Lexington Reservoir.

Hopefully someone else will chime in here. =]

SCTreeHugger

Chimp
Apr 19, 2005
The road. :)

There are some amazing roads in the Santa Cruz mountains to ride during the rainy season. Mt Charlie, Zayante, Felton-Empire Grade, and Smith Grade to name a few.

If you must hit the dirt, Fort Ord in Monterey is sand and holds up well in the rain.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Long Ridge (Saratoga Gap) is regularly patrolled. Saratoga Gap, if you're talking about the Gap Drop (which, by the way, doesn't actually exist *wink wink*) is TOTALLY illegal.

Santa Teresa fire-roads might be open, but Rocky Ridge is definitely shut down. In fact, I think it's shut down for trail maintenance and vegetation regrowth for the next 45 days or something.

I've yet to make it out to Russian Ridge, but it I hear it's good... but as far as legality after rain, I don't know.

Skeggs Point is VERY illegal after the rain, as it is a wildlife preserve. I think it's a Misdemeanor if you get caught there within a week after it rains.

Demo is great, even in the slop, but it's messy right now with lots of trees down on the Ridge Trail, and the Stewards of Soquel Demonstration Forest would prefer to stay far, FAR away from the trails during the rain or shortly thereafter.

I don't know about Briones after the rain, but I can't imagine the fireroads would be closed to riders, as there were major dried-up horse tracks throughout there when I was there on Saturday. It's fun, too. It's in the Walnut Creek area.

And like SCTreeHugger says... Ord is supposedly fantastic in the wet because the sand hardens up a little bit.

Hope I helped man.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Every week Sherrill, Cordero and other Monterey Off Road Cycling Association members ride this unmarked network of paths called Happy Trails. They are near CSU Monterey Bay, roughly between Watkin Gates and Inter Garrison roads. But the Fort Ord Reuse Authority soon will take control of the trail area and close it to the public.
That's only a small section of the entire area to ride. Here is a map of the whole area: http://www.blm.gov/ca/pdfs/hollister_pdfs/Trail_Map_Grayscale_August_2006.pdf

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
[Warning: I'm kind of a grouch about this stuff.]

Since you mention that you are new to mountain biking you may not be aware of some of the problems with riding wet trails. My opinion is that we should all stay off sensitive singletrack when it's sloppy, whether it's closed or open. Riding muddy trails causes a lot of damage and gives ammunition to anti-cycling groups who see and never fail to mention the damage. You also damage the hard work of other cyclists who bust ass to build good trails, only to see them destroyed when they get wet. It's just not worth it to me.

Fire roads are pretty much fine. Not sure where you live, but Demo has fire roads (they go up AND down), as does Coe State Park, Marin headlands, Mt. Tam, etc.

PS, I just got a new bike too, so I feel ya.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
[Warning: I'm kind of a grouch about this stuff.]

Since you mention that you are new to mountain biking you may not be aware of some of the problems with riding wet trails. My opinion is that we should all stay off sensitive singletrack when it's sloppy, whether it's closed or open. Riding muddy trails causes a lot of damage and gives ammunition to anti-cycling groups who see and never fail to mention the damage. You also damage the hard work of other cyclists who bust ass to build good trails, only to see them destroyed when they get wet. It's just not worth it to me.

Fire roads are pretty much fine. Not sure where you live, but Demo has fire roads (they go up AND down), as does Coe State Park, Marin headlands, Mt. Tam, etc.

PS, I just got a new bike too, so I feel ya.
Sweet generalization!

There is only one place which I will ride in the pouring rain without any concern: Rockville in Fairfield.

greg.hamer

Chimp
Feb 20, 2008
the happy trails area is a very small part of Ft Ord, and not actually part of the BLM land out there. It is mostly Army land that is simply not used by the Army (if I am not mistaken.)

Most of the "famous" areas of Ft Ord, like the SOC course, Goat Trail, Hurl Hill, Ewok, and Red Rock trails will be open and should be failry well drained.

For what it is worth, I would not do Red Rock trail simply because during the last few storms it REALLY washed out in one part. The resulting ditch has about a 5 ft drop with some gnarly crags... If you are willing to do the "hike-a-bike" manuver (sp) the rest of the trail is accessible.

dvo

Chimp
May 31, 2004
since when is skegg's illegal after rain???? yes, certain lower trails are closed for the rainy season but other than those it is game on at skegg's. the trails there hold up very well in the winter as there is quite a bit of sandstone. we actually ride there quite a bit through the winter.

greg.hamer

Chimp
Feb 20, 2008
Went for a 8 mile ride today in the drizzle. Not too bad. Stayed on mostly fire road for the ascent, but some sweet single track for the descent. Some puddles and soft stuff, but not bad at all.

As far as I a concerned, Ft Ord is open for business!

divisadero

Chimp
Apr 29, 2009
San Francisco, CA
2009 BUMP.

Any recommendations for tomorrow? Naturally, I'd prefer single track within 90 minutes of SF.

I don't care about getting wet and dirty, but don't want to destroy trail either.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Rockville in Fairfield or Joaquin Miller, although I wouldn't ride it if it is pouring out.

wakeeater

Monkey
Jan 6, 2007
livermore ca
pacifica was great today in the drizzle to bad like 1 minute down mile it turned into a full blown downpour and felt like you were riding down a river

divisadero

Chimp
Apr 29, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Hit Rockville yesterday and Tamarancho this morning. Both were super fun. Tamarancho's single track does indeed drain pretty well, although I wouldn't feel good about myself if I rode it in any wetter conditions. Thanks for the advice, all.