Quantcast

Where to Ride in the Winter?

Jun 28, 2009
I'm looking to take a trip somewhere warm this winter so I can ride my downhill bike for a little while. I'm looking to take this trip from mid December to mid January. As I am a broke college student, I'm trying to find my cheapest possible option. Anyone have any suggestions? Experiences? Thanks

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
i'm looking to take a trip somewhere warm this winter so i can ride my downhill bike for a little while. I'm looking to take this trip from mid december to mid january. As i am a broke college student, i'm trying to find my cheapest possible option. Anyone have any suggestions? Experiences? Thanks
california?

chup29

Chimp
Sep 9, 2009
Ashland
i would recommend someplace where there are mountains but no snow, so for me that means close to sea level on the west coast near the ocean - i have no experience with the east coast so i dont know what the riding is like year round over there, maybe someplace like highland is open full time for lift access? if you told everyone where you lived, this would be easier because obviously you shouldnt drive across the country just to ride your bike for a day. If you are located in California, id say man up - because thats the best winter riding your gonna find, mid 60 temps, tacky trails, clear skys most days... i grew up in cali so thats all i know though...

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
A group of east coast kids come out to San Diego every year. Decent riding around town and fun stuff near by, and the Fontana Winter Series is about an hour or so away if you're into racing on urban sandy hills.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
overseas? try south america, almost everything is cheap, and you'll always find a group of buddies to ride with and someone willing to have you over for free!

Jun 28, 2009
I'm on the east coast in New England, so pretty much no hope of riding here in the winter except for indoor skate park riding

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I suggest you skip down about 4 threads in this forum and read about Windrock. Pics, ride report, video, open 24/7 year round. Flights direct into Knoxville and a 20 minute drive to the trails or drive straight down I81 to I40. Make 2 rights and unload.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Western NC.
Western NC is a secret gem. Ask anyone who lives near Boone or Asheville.
Heck, most winters you could get on the lift at Beech or Sugar with your bike during ski season and ride the singletrack that's in the trees. SoCal is for quitters.

Also, close to Windrock, but sorry TN, WNC is way more fun.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I don't know what you are talking about, there are no mountains in the south. :)

Thanks for the props, it truly is like an underground DH mecca.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Western NC.
Western NC is a secret gem. Ask anyone who lives near Boone or Asheville.
Heck, most winters you could get on the lift at Beech or Sugar with your bike during ski season and ride the singletrack that's in the trees. SoCal is for quitters.

Also, close to Windrock, but sorry TN, WNC is way more fun.
You could also push your bike up faster than the lifts at sugar.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
windrock. hope to get a winter trip there myself. Just have to suffer through some country music with the fiance to get some riding in.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
A group of east coast kids come out to San Diego every year. Decent riding around town and fun stuff near by, and the Fontana Winter Series is about an hour or so away if you're into racing on urban sandy hills.
Anyone know when the Fontana Winter Series schedule is coming out? Im looking for some winter time training/racing away from the rainy PNW.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Speaking of Winter series....everybody book your trips to Fontana Village for the Fontana Icycle NIGHT DOWNHILL RACE Super Bowl weekend. Bring whatever motorized weapon too for the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap.

NC in winter rocks!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
ooh...tail of the dagron in my s6, then some downhilling? what are the temps like in winteR?
Sometimes 50, sometimes 20. Lots of beer and campfires though. Whole village is tons and tons of cabins right next to the course. Plus there is a Big Bike 1 lap XC during the day for like 5-10 bucks.

DH is a whopping 15-20 bucks.

are you goin' butch?
Most every time brother. Got my eye on this bad boy:
http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=55479