Quantcast

Where's everyone from?

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
nelsonjm moved into the area too. And mattmatt86 and stumpjump are locals/ridemonkey regulars as well. We should have a Maryland Monkeyfest.

Yeh, Maryland chapter monkeyfest would be cool to me. I'm always looking for guys to ride with and go to new places. I ride with two state troopers, one current, one retired injured, both in early 40's. But they're more or less new to the sport. I got them both into it this past summer and helped set up their bikes. As to Frederick, I had heard how good Gambrils park was so I went to try Gambrils in November but my front brake chose to give out 100 yards down from the top, combined with too many leaves down hiding rocks, I was just skidding back tire over everything and anything unable to keep in control. We went to Patapsaco instead. But I'm going back in the spring. Saw a ton of downhill bikes there.

And I did sign a petition on line for Loc Raven. That's where I heard about the law enforcement at the Watershed. Send me a PM link to get involved. I loved parts of Loc Raven. And I'm into building and trail maintenance. I've done it before, without park approval though.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
It seems most of you people live in places that are beautiful, but where I ride, I don't have to worry about being attacked by bears, mountain lions, cougars, rattle snakes etc. What do people out west or in areas like this do when you ride to prevent winding part of the food chain?
I wear a modified fanny pack which can launch smoked sausages towards any hungry carnivore that might want to do me harm. It has a bar-mounted trigger, and it keeps the bears, lions and marmots distracted whilst I make my getaway.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
It seems most of you people live in places that are beautiful, but where I ride, I don't have to worry about being attacked by bears, mountain lions, cougars, rattle snakes etc. What do people out west or in areas like this do when you ride to prevent winding part of the food chain?
Simple, you just have to take somebody along who is slower than you.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
From Montreal where I mainly rode at the park in Bromont, and re-discovered the fun of XC at Kingdom Trails a few years ago. That's a really awesome trail network.

Moved to Vancouver 3 years ago and have been riding more DH out here. Get out to Galbraith in WA every now and then, and do the pedally thing in Squamish occasionally as well. Most of my riding is on the Shore in the winter and Whistler in the summer on the big bike.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Born in Kalamazoo, MI; then moved to NJ, MO and back to NJ
Raised mostly in Mountain Lakes, NJ
College in Middlebury, VT
Graduate school in New Haven, CT
Now (more grad school) in Claremont, CA

I ride mostly in the local parks and national forest trails around the area here. I've ridden in a good amount of places, but I think my favorite is the Kingdom Trails in VT.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I would think it's warmer down in NC than it is up here. It's 34 degrees now and too cold but if it gets over 43 or so I ride.

I hear NC is nice riding in the summer too.
The weather is about the same as yours further east but all the good riding is up in the mountains where I live, and we're lucky to get into the 20's and theres been snow on the ground since november. But the riding is excellent when its warm :thumb:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
i've literally ran into bears before, most of the time they just get spooked by you and take off into the bush

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Born in Littleton, CO and moved to Santa Barbara, CA when I was 14. We had this house as an investment property since I was 7 though. My mom quickly fell in love with SB though and we decided to keep it and move here.

But ya, I live here and ride everywhere pretty much. Whenever I go to a different state I usually have my bike with me.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I wear a modified fanny pack which can launch smoked sausages towards any hungry carnivore that might want to do me harm. It has a bar-mounted trigger.
:rofl: Okay, now that was funny. Rep coming. But does it fire Snausages? lol

i've literally ran into bears before, most of the time they just get spooked by you and take off into the bush
That would scare me big time.

From Montreal...
Oh I've been to Montreal! It was beautiful. So was Quebec! And the gorgeous blonde french girls... Wow! My eyeballs looked like THIS!:eek:

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
From Montreal where I mainly rode at the park in Bromont, and re-discovered the fun of XC at Kingdom Trails a few years ago. That's a really awesome trail network.

Moved to Vancouver 3 years ago and have been riding more DH out here. Get out to Galbraith in WA every now and then, and do the pedally thing in Squamish occasionally as well. Most of my riding is on the Shore in the winter and Whistler in the summer on the big bike.
didn't you read the initial post?? It said "where in the US do you live"

You are not eligible for this thread, retard.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Began life in Alhambra/San Gabriel, CA, for 13 years.
Scottsdale, AZ, for another 13 years.
6mo stint in New Zealand.
6 years in Tacoma, WA.
2 years in S. Lake Tahoe, CA.
15 years and counting in Gardnerville, NV.

Don't know if I can ever leave now.................

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I grew up in a small town in central Maine, where I cut my teeth on the wet ugly home trails of Adam Craig, and created many of my own. I've since moved to southern Maine, and ride new places, but I still return home on occassion to pedal and keep myself sharp.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
didn't you read the initial post?? It said "where in the US do you live"

You are not eligible for this thread, retard.
:rofl: Okay, I missed that. :panic: I went back and changed it to "where do you live" so anyone can post. My bad!

I grew up in a small town in central Maine...

It seems like a lot of people on RM are in the New England area. Nice photo. Love the back drop.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I rode Patapsco a few times when I visited my grandparents in Arbutus, cool spot.
Jon, you rode Patapsaco? When did you ride there? And was it any good compared to where you ride now? Grandparents in Arbutus, are you originally from Maryland? I know where Arbutus is. It's right down the road from Patapsaco actually. Kind of on the south east side of University of Maryland where I drop in at sometimes.

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Grew up in the suburbs of Chicago, then moved to Ojai, CA when I was 12. Picked up mountain biking shortly after, got slowly more into DH until last year. Started road last year in earnest, and and am going to race this season in the WCCC collegiate series with the UCSB team. Missing riding in the dirt and planning on getting an all-mountain bike of some sort before summer.

I used to ride a ton of DH all over the state in Fontana, SB, Mammoth, Tahoe, etc. and did a Whistler trip as well, which kinda marked the end of my DH career - I got the 'Whistler Blues'. Now I stick to a ~50 mile radius from home on the road bike.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I used to ride a ton of DH all over the state in Fontana, SB, Mammoth, Tahoe, etc. and did a Whistler trip as well, which kinda marked the end of my DH career - I got the 'Whistler Blues'. Now I stick to a ~50 mile radius from home on the road bike.
Do you have any helmet cam footage of your Whistler trip online? I want to go this summer. I've got to buy a lot of stuff, body armor, helmet, then there's shipping my bike there, it's going to be expensive but I have a helmet cam on my mind as a must if I go. I hear so much about Whistler.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Do you have any helmet cam footage of your Whistler trip online? I want to go this summer. I've got to buy a lot of stuff, body armor, helmet, then there's shipping my bike there, it's going to be expensive but I have a helmet cam on my mind as a must if I go. I hear so much about Whistler.
Nope, don't have a helmet cam. Actually have no documentation in terms of media that I was there!

If you're flying you can break your bike down and fit it into 2 suitcases. I got my Morewood Izimu into 2 suitcases and spent nothing but the oversize fee to get the bike there.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
WOW! You've been around a lot! Which do you like best? Bet it's VT or CA.
I actually love my local trails (SMBA)...they're tough but so much fun to ride. Of the places I have ridden, my favorites are:
1) SMBA or Spier Falls (local to me in NY)
2) Kingdom Trails, VT - something fun for everyone and home of monkeyfest
3) Fantasy Island in AZ - good times
4) Kennedy in MA is fun too
5) Rays in OH
6) China Camp was fun in CA

For DH - I love Diable (NJ), Whiteface (NY) and Bromont (Canada) (though I haven't been in a while).

I have fun wherever I am :)

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
born and raised in Greystones, Wicklow, Ireland. Haven't ridden in a while but mostly the woods in my area, there's some nice XC around.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
East Boston, MA
Melrose, MA
North Reading, MA
Worcester, MA
Belmont, MA
North Andover, MA
New Salem, MA
Hubbardston, MA

I'm a Masshole, and act accordingly.

spazzaroo

Chimp
Jan 18, 2011
Dark Side of The Moon
Barrio Viejo
Other Side of The Tracks
Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Between Hell and High Water
Where The Sun Doesn't Shine
Where The Rubber Meets the Road

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Raised 20min south of Philly
Boston for 4 years
San Francisco for 7 years
Orange County for 8 years... Dang, has it really been that long?

Where do I ride? Offroad mostly. ;)

I've ridden in:
NorCal (Marin, East Bay, Santa Cruz... all over)
Tahoe and Dville
Mammoth
Snowshoe WV
Whistler
Banff Canada
Charlotte NC
Wilmington DE
SoCal (OC, San Diego, BigBear, Hell-A, Santa Barbara)
Yucatan Peninsula Mexico

Overall my favorite has to be Orange County (well, not counting Whistler of course.. but I have to WORK as well.)

Last edited:

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Born in Mo. Lived there for 30+ years. Lived in Colorado for a year. Moved to the seacoast of New Hampshire in July (and now I know why they are called Massholes). Ride at Highland, Ft. Rock, and Rye Airfield (and the Kingdom Trails).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
No sane person "worries" about $hit like this out west. :think:

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Then you either need to:

2) not be so friendly/conversational

:p
I have noticed that the people of New Hampsha are the friendliest, most polite drivers that I have ever seen ... disturbingly polite sometimes. Hell, the road signs say something about "Drive Courteous, It's the New Hampshire Way."

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Im from Holland, Europe.
And Ill ride in any place but Holland, Europe.

:D
Im in a country with mountains but probably the distance to the closest resort is very similar for us ;)

Im in Poland but in the capital. Envy you the fact that you live so close to the Alpes (ie. not a 12-18 hour drive) ;)

Anyway if someone wants to know a bit about polish riding scene - a mate of mine did an article for wideopen few issues ago about local nat cup. Some tracks are nice but imho do a trip threw Czech and Slovakia also.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have noticed that the people of New Hampsha are the friendliest, most polite drivers that I have ever seen ... disturbingly polite sometimes. Hell, the road signs say something about "Drive Courteous, It's the New Hampshire Way."
Exactly, stay in NH then. Leave us Massholes to swear at each other, flip each other off, tailgate, lay on the horn, cut-off one another, run each other off the road and throw stuff at the window at you.;)

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Born in Elmore, VT.
Moved to Phoenix, AZ in 1996, been here since.

Mostly ride in the Valley, but have ridden in Northern AZ, Utah and Colorado.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Born Wainuiomata, Wellington NZ
then moved to Auckland NZ,
followed by 2 years in Parua Bay,
and for the last 5 years back in Wellington New Zealand.

With a bit of tripping around the world in between. :D