he is a great guy and super fast.

i though he would go a long way

in DH. he and his dad would travel

in there pickup.

he would take lines TOP pros

would not even try. and he would

stick-em. Vermont one year he was

doubling some HUGE rocks and one of

the global riders tryed and smashed his face.

anyone know what he is doing,

or where he is?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
My first national doing DH was at Seven Springs in 1999. They had this crazy slightly uphill rock garden that was also super greasy. Most of the top pros could skirt through it semi-effeciently. All of the experts were getting demolished.......Richard Lancaster was a Semi at the time and come 'ballz-out' into this thing. Knocks off the first rock flys like 15 feet touches down and knocks off a boulder and hops another 10 feet. He did it like 5-6 times. Each time the crowd roared......no one else was even trying that line.

....after a couple practice sessions one of The Top Woman Pros had Norba out there at the rock garden with thier shovels and gravel making it all smooth and nicey.....

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
stoney98 said:
you should ride his trail - Face.
It is hands down the hardest trail I have ever ridden in my life (3 years ago, before it was groomed and burms put in)

He got hit like three years ago the weekend before Big Bear, it was a scare but he still raced BB no problem that was not the reason for him quiting. He just got burnt out as what I was told and got a job. Also he was into working and building his baja truck. And for Face in no way is it groomed and burmed still crazier than ever last I heard from Beavers.

He was at sea otter last year '04 just watching

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i still have a signed poster of him somewhere. yea where the heck is he, bet he could still hold up to the rest of the guys out there.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Cant Climb said:
My first national doing DH was at Seven Springs in 1999. They had this crazy slightly uphill rock garden that was also super greasy. Most of the top pros could skirt through it semi-effeciently. All of the experts were getting demolished.......Richard Lancaster was a Semi at the time and come 'ballz-out' into this thing. Knocks off the first rock flys like 15 feet touches down and knocks off a boulder and hops another 10 feet. He did it like 5-6 times. Each time the crowd roared......no one else was even trying that line.

....after a couple practice sessions one of The Top Woman Pros had Norba out there at the rock garden with thier shovels and gravel making it all smooth and nicey.....

Yeah, i remember that it was the talk of the pits for doing that. There were several top Pros who called him nuts for doing that.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Cant Climb said:

i was there for that, it was amazing...:thumb:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Cant Climb said:

that was shawn palmer. :stosh:

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
stoney98 said:
It is hands down the hardest trail I have ever ridden in my life (3 years ago, before it was groomed and burms put in)
Ahhh, Face. Good god did that trail humble me.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
manhattanprjkt83 said:
i was there for that, it was amazing...:thumb:
Still one of the sickest things i ever saw......Kovarik did a similair thing his first year at Snowshoe, but then shyed away from it in succeeding years......

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I know nothing of Mr. Lancaster, but from his name I bed he'd do well in the adult entertainment industry.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
stoney98 said:
Groomed and burms? I don't think so. Face is still crazy. Its not groomed at all. I was up there about 2 months ago to take pic's for some friends. It is in no way groomed and bermed. I was walking it to take pics and I had a hard time getting down some of the sections. It is by far the knarliest trail I've ever seen.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Zutroy said:
Although he was pullin that sick move, one of my teammates still beat him for the win.... :blah:
Wasn't that Lancaster's problem... the reason he never made it big time? Bigger, badder, crazier, etc., but rarely faster.

edit: And yeah... Face is a ridiculous trail. I've ridden some pretty hefty stuff since being in the PNW, and I've never been as scared as I was running the chutes on that trail. Despite my memory of fear and difficulty, in the trails two short minutes of video fame (Chainsmoke II, I think), Richard Lancaster made it look like childs play. :think:

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
sam_little said:
Wasn't that Lancaster's problem... the reason he never made it big time? Bigger, badder, crazier, etc., but rarely faster.

edit: And yeah... Face is a ridiculous trail. I've ridden some pretty hefty stuff since being in the PNW, and I've never been as scared as I was running the chutes on that trail. Despite my memory of fear and difficulty, in the trails two short minutes of video fame (Chainsmoke II, I think), Richard Lancaster made it look like childs play. :think:

He was fast, he could never just get that little extra he needed to get on top. From what i saw cornering seemed to be his biggest downfall, but he was sweet to watch through the rough stuff.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
sam_little said:

That section in Chainsmoke 2 is probably THE best bit of DH film I've ever seen. Is that the "Face" trail he's riding there?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
It seems like everyday I hear another Richard Lancaster story. He had a 2 page spread in the Buzz section of Bike magazine a few years back from a Mammoth national. I don't know the man really well, but I saw him on the grade a few months ago riding his moto. As for face, well, it's still a sweet trail. It has bigger jumps now than it used to, but the berms and stuff washes away pretty quickly. We're riding that trail this weekend, and cutting out some over grown bushes, as usual.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Hell yeah...that guy was insane...Alex:I was fortunate enough to be standing there almost under him when he double doubled that section that mick hannah TRIED to do with peaty following him...they both crashed...hannah=broken collarbone, peaty=broke wrist....rich came blazing down scared the balls off of me, and made it look like baby sh:t....I think scott ybarra jumped it too....either way, it was bananas....anyone have any pics of him riding???

where is face?? I wanna ride it!!!probably a long ways from me, but that's what road trips are for

really too bad he's not riding anymore..guys like that intrigue me far more than guys like mike king, or colin bailey....so much more fun to watch, even if they're 6 seconds slower....travis collins is kinda one of those crazy sons of bitches...similar style

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Ian Collins said:
Hell yeah...that guy was insane...Alex:I was fortunate enough to be standing there almost under him when he double doubled that section that mick hannah TRIED to do with peaty following him...they both crashed...hannah=broken collarbone, peaty=broke wrist....rich came blazing down scared the balls off of me, and made it look like baby sh:t....I think scott ybarra jumped it too....either way, it was bananas....anyone have any pics of him riding???

where is face?? I wanna ride it!!!probably a long ways from me, but that's what road trips are for

really too bad he's not riding anymore..guys like that intrigue me far more than guys like mike king, or colin bailey....so much more fun to watch, even if they're 6 seconds slower....travis collins is kinda one of those crazy sons of bitches...similar style
i remember peats wrist break. i can up on the aftermath and everyone was all scatered about pissed and worried.
yeah, he was inspirering. i like to watch anyrider that doesn't just plunk down the track.
he was also doubleing down on some rock drop on the waterfall section that year too. crashed both times i saw it was just too muddy. lol

my fav riders are :

Pascal
Lancaster
kovarik

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Acadian said:
I had a brief chatted with Rich back in March in SLO when I was there for a SRAM ride camp...didn't ask him about what he was up too tho.
Speaking of which... I saw the PB pictures of the SRAM camp. With all of the good riding up on the Grade, why did they only take you for a little stroll through Montana de Oro park?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
sam_little said:
Speaking of which... I saw the PB pictures of the SRAM camp. With all of the good riding up on the Grade, why did they only take you for a little stroll through Montana de Oro park?
the plan was to hit all the nice trails like Shooters, Morning Glory, Madonna MT etc..

but it PISSED so damn hard that week - everything was flooded. Even that little creek by the Madonna In was like white water rapids...so all that was rideable was Montana De Oro.

I want to go back there this summer to hit those trails...

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
Acadian said:
the plan was to hit all the nice trails like Shooters, Morning Glory, Madonna MT etc..

but it PISSED so damn hard that week - everything was flooded. Even that little creek by the Madonna In was like white water rapids...so all that was rideable was Montana De Oro.

I want to go back there this summer to hit those trails...
Luc we should road trip down there for the KOM series, I have school so I won't be able to get to deer valley.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Hey Juan, I might throw a party after the KOM, seeing as I probably can't afford to go to Utah. I just got my place for the summer, and it's right by some sweet trails in SLO. I'll let you guys know what the KOM course is like as soon as they start to build it.

Oh yeah, speaking of fast people who used to ride in the SLO area a lot, what is Ira Vick up to these days?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
W4S said:
I don't know where he is now, but we have a pretty difficult trail named after him where I live.
Ira Vick is living in Bishop...hippy rock climber, but still the coolest bro a guy could ever have. The year we put him on Mongoose with Leigh and Lopes was one of the funnest seasons for us all.