Quantcast

Which 36 do I need?

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
I'm looking for a fork for my SX Trail and would like to get a 36, but am basically confused as to which one is best suited to my riding. I'm trying to decide between the Float and the Van since I'm told the Talas likes to shart its guts out if you hit it too hard in a lowered state.

-I plan on using the bike as a lightweight/mini DH bike, more or less.
-I'm a fan of faster flow trails more so than giant piles of rock.
-Also, I'm not the smoothest rider ever, but I'm by not means a total hack.
-I weigh 137lbs.

The website has all the sales-points and such, but I guess I'm looking for anybody with some first hand experience with the actual product rather then all the manufacturer sweet talk. I've read anything I have been able to find about the fork line, both on here and MTBR (though sometimes the MTBR reviews seem to lack any insight. e.g.,"...this product sucks nuts. The end." or, "This is the best fork evAr!") and the main problem people mention is that the forks tend to bottom out easy, as well as rather hard. Is this just the result of an ape trying to follow fork setup directions, or do they actually blow through travel too easy? Will this not be an issue at my weight? The only "drops" I would be doing are ones found on DH-type trails, not hucks off of houses or anything.

Anyway, right now I'm leaning towards the VAN RC2 because it is a coil fork and I have no experience with air forks. Anything I should know?

Seriously, let me hear your opinions, I know you've got them, but please keep the hearsay to a minimum, if at all possible. :)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'd get the Float. At your weight, it'll be easier to dial in the spring rate, and it can take some abuse as the chassis is the same as the Van. As far as blowing through travel, the 07s are better as far as that goes and you should be fine. The old Talases did that badly, but even the old Vans were better, and the newer line is better yet.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Craig!

What's up man?

You weigh a almost a buck-40?! Get out! :shocked:

...I know this guy, so I'd have to say after watching some of the crazy sh!t he does - go with either the VAN or the FLOAT.

In case you're worried about bottoming out the sunb!itch:

From LeeLikesBikes:

" If there was any critique of 2006 36s and 40s: They were hungry for full travel. They’d just gobble it up every time they got a chance. Near the end of their travel a small piston would ride into a cylinder, which theoretically increased oil pressure and controlled bottom-outs. But the fit between the piston and cylinder was too loose, and those high oil pressures never happened. Weak sauce.

The new bottom-out control (07') rocks the strong sauce. First, the cylinder is cone-shaped. Second, the piston has an “interference fit,” which means it actually touches the inside of the cone. Third, the cone has four sets of holes along its height. When the piston first hits the cone, oil flows through all four ports. Then it squeezes oil through three ports, then two, then just one. The oil pressure builds up gradually, and it builds big.

The old bottom setup (06') generated 80 pounds of bottom-out resistance. The new one generates 600 pounds. HUGE DIFFERENCE! The resistance starts around 1 1/4 inches from the bottom of the stroke and builds smoothly from there. And one more adjustment: The little piston can be moved up or down to engage the cone sooner or later.

RC2 Damper: Separate low- and high-speed compression adjustment. Use the low speed to give your bike the feel you want. Super plush, firm or whatever. Use the high speed to handle the kind of hits you encounter on your rides; this is an easy way to adjust for different trails and different levels of aggression. Thanks to the new bottom-out control, you can run the high speed looser and still avoid the dreaded CLANK!
"
I'll be over at the shop toward the end of June to pick my sh!t up. Have you seen Tommy's new chopper?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
the new 07 and 08 dampers have much more bottom out ressitanca like SKC pointed out above. both are great forks and really plush. there isn't any noticeable performance loss when going for the air too. you can also add a bit of oil in the air spring to change the progression of the fork too. i think the float will be a better choice for you.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i'm on the 2007 36VANR. no need for the RC2 for me. set it and forget it is the only way to fly. i'm running mine on my bottlerocket. it is a good combo. there are times where i would like the TALAS option to bring the front end down on the tighter and less gnar stuff, and the (few) times i dirt jump.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
36VanRC2 I think you can go 06 or 07. Coil = ^ Reliablity. The adjustability is worthwhile.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
You weigh a almost a buck-40?! Get out! :shocked:
Yea, I'm just your average body builder. Hah.

As for the fork...I'm glad to hear they reworked the bottom-out resistance for the newer models. I would be getting an '08 since that is what they are selling currently, so I should be fine. I'll probably go with an RC2 model so I can better match it to my rear shock.

Decisions decisions.

Can I be a tool and say that I like the black more than the gray?

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Yea, I'm just your average body builder. Hah.

As for the fork...I'm glad to hear they reworked the bottom-out resistance for the newer models. I would be getting an '08 since that is what they are selling currently, so I should be fine. I'll probably go with an RC2 model so I can better match it to my rear shock.

Decisions decisions.

Can I be a tool and say that I like the black more than the gray?
Why no consideration for the Lyrik solo air?

Same travel, but easier to service fork, and better damper IMO. You can actually adjust the compression while you ride, easily. RC2 isn't really meant to be adjusted mid ride and those knobs on the bottom can bend easily and screw everything up.

just a thought. Not that the Fox is bad or anything.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Why no consideration for the Lyrik solo air?

Same travel, but easier to service fork, and better damper IMO. You can actually adjust the compression while you ride, easily. RC2 isn't really meant to be adjusted mid ride and those knobs on the bottom can bend easily and screw everything up.

just a thought. Not that the Fox is bad or anything.
Hmm. I'll look in to them.

Seriously, I had only ever used Fox, or Marz suspension products. I absolutely love marz, and would get a 66rc2x if it came in (or could be modded to) 160mm. I simply had not considered any other brands, but like I said, ill have a look.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
They're both burly, supple forks. The Van is smoother on small bumps. The Float is lighter. The only way you would really have a problem with either is if you had both and liked one more. Van's cheaper.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
..went ahead and ordered the van rc2. Since it is the last part in my bike puzzle I'll post a pic or two when its all done. (Thats a lie, I still need some lighter cranks..)

RideHard

Monkey
Apr 4, 2005
I have an 06 vanR on my sxt at the moment, I love it, It Is going up for sale in the next few days, shoot me a pm if your interseted. Im always looking to help a fellow rider.

Peace

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Did u get the rc2 yet? What are your thoughts
Hey man! Yea I got it all installed and such. I hadn't posted back in a while since I've been out riding.

The fork seems O.K. thus far, but seems kind of 'stiction-y.' Do fox seals need to wear in or anything like that? Only other single-crown fork I have owned is a Marz DJ3, and that honestly felt like it has less stiction.

I rode a kids totem today and it was 100% tits. No other way to describe it. I felt just like my shiver DC, but shorter.

So now I have a problem...:bonk:

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I rode a kids totem today and it was 100% tits. No other way to describe it. I felt just like my shiver DC, but shorter.

I've heard real good reports on the expensive version. I think it is the two step ? Which did you ride ?

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
I've heard real good reports on the expensive version. I think it is the two step ? Which did you ride ?
His was the normal base coil deal. Still made my fox feel like crap though.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Hey man! Yea I got it all installed and such. I hadn't posted back in a while since I've been out riding.

The fork seems O.K. thus far, but seems kind of 'stiction-y.' Do fox seals need to wear in or anything like that? Only other single-crown fork I have owned is a Marz DJ3, and that honestly felt like it has less stiction.

I've got a 2008 36 Talas RC2. The seals were a bit stictioney at first, and broke in fairly quickly. One quick tip, add a few drops of tri flow to the dustwipers and cycle the fork after you are done with it and before the next ride. Makes a world of difference.