Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Don't buy online you're gonna get scammed

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Well i can FINALLY get a DH bike, if i can just decide on which one to get. MY personal favorite is a all 2003 New White Orange 222 with a 5th element, Shiver DC, Hope m4s. Second option is used but in great shape a 2003 Gold Orange 222 with fox vanilla something or rather with Dorados, and m4s. The third and fourth options are BRAND NEW never out of the box Kona Stab Primos stock size medium. I'm buying all of these bikes online. I doubt i'm going to get the white orange because the seller seems a little shady and i'm worried about lack of protection on paymeny. The other 3 want me to pay through western union, all sellers come recomended from ebay. Which should i get, lets assume they all cost the same (as little as it is)
PS: Can post full spec list and pics upon request

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by acair422
Well i can FINALLY get a DH bike, if i can just decide on which one to get. MY personal favorite is a all 2003 New White Orange 222 with a 5th element, Shiver DC, Hope m4s. Second option is used but in great shape a 2003 Gold Orange 222 with fox vanilla something or rather with Dorados, and m4s. The third and fourth options are BRAND NEW never out of the box Kona Stab Primos stock size medium. I'm buying all of these bikes online. I doubt i'm going to get the white orange because the seller seems a little shady and i'm worried about lack of protection on paymeny. The other 3 want me to pay through western union, all sellers come recomended from ebay. Which should i get, lets assume they all cost the same (as little as it is)
The Orange 223 is the current model, and does not come in white. It comes in green with floater, or silver without. Edit: I'm a tard and read that wrong. The 2003 frames did come in white, 2004 does not.

Just wanted to clear that up for ya. BTW those are 2 VERY VERY different bikes. Test ride both of them first, if at all possible

Do NOT pay western union..that is a catastrophe waiting to happen. You will almost certainly get scammed. paypal is your friend.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
What i'm worried about is that i will send the money via paypal, and then the seller actually does send something, but doesn't send the bike, and then i'm down and out money, and all i got is a box full of jack ****

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
What i'm worried about is that i will send the money via paypal, and then the seller actually does send something, but doesn't send the bike, and then i'm down and out money, and all i got is a box full of jack ****
thats a constant risk, unless you use an escrow service, that which i know nothing about. Always best to buy from a trusted member of an online community at the very least.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
well he's from china.....so i mean that doesn't help but i mean all the bikes are $1500 and under so i mean......i'm worried about getting scammed, but who knows i'm hoping its just a kickass deal

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
You want to buy online from overseas? You're a madman, of course you'll get ripped off!
If you buy online, at least buy from the same state/country, so you can go to their house and pay a friendly visit if it does turn out to be a scam.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
well he's from china.....so i mean that doesn't help but i mean all the bikes are $1500 and under so i mean......i'm worried about getting scammed, but who knows i'm hoping its just a kickass deal
That's almost guaranteed to be a scam man, DO NOT BUY.

Karpieldisco

Chimp
Mar 24, 2002
Abingdon, MD
Do NOT BUY VIA WESTERN UNION OR ANY OTHER MONEY SERVICE

I have nothing against western union as a company but rather some of the people that use them. Wester Union is a Money transfereing company that you do not have any dispute rights with. you are sending cash to the person and once they get it. They don not have to send you "shiz". I know it sounds strange but I work for the largest credit card company and used to work in the disputes department and I can tell you that if they only want to deal with western union, money order or something like that. it is probably shaddy..

I would recommend doing it vai paypal and use a Visa card.. The regs on Visa are better than that of MC and if it were to come to a dispute then you would have a better chance to get your money back...

If you have any questions please feel free to email me.. karpieldisco@comcast.net.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
At first, this didn't seem like a bad idea as long as you follow the no-Western Union policy.

Then I saw that the guy was from China. Even if it's not a scam (and there are TONS of scams run from overseas, especially southeast Asia), it is such a freakin hassle to deal with someone that far away if stuff goes wrong. Buying online is risky, don't add another variable like that into the mix.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If you live in america or Canada, there are plenty of used bikes around that you can buy......some that you might be able to even touch in perso before you give anybody any money. There's no reason to deal with asia fer chrissakes.

But hey if this situation really makes sense to you, PT Barnum would be mighty proud if you followed through.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i would prefer to deal within the states, or canada, but i'm on a tight budget, and haven't found anything close to an orange 222, or kona stab primo for $1300usd, nothing as new, or nice if you know of anything let me know

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
well i've been looking like a crack fiend looks for crack, and i can't seem to find anything near that price range here in the states/canada, so i think i'm going to go ahead wiht the deal from China and hope for the best

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
well i've been looking like a crack fiend looks for crack, and i can't seem to find anything near that price range here in the states/canada, so i think i'm going to go ahead wiht the deal from China and hope for the best
hey, you want to just send me your money instead?? you'll have as much chance of having a bike sent to you (read: zero) and at least you'll know your money went to a :monkey: instead of to a chinese scam artist.

just do yourself a favor and do two things:
1) ask seller for serial # and a picture of the serial number if possible with him pointing to it.
2) email bike company and ask if the serial number is real.

otherwise you're going to send 1300 away to a scam artist and be that much further from getting a real bike. Try selling drugs to make up the extra couple hundred $$ to get a real bike... :D

dante

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i echo the previous posters. china + really cheap ==> scam, whether western union <shudder> or paypal <slightly smaller shudder>. i know that the desire to get a bike is strong, but think for a sec. :dead:

the ONLY way this would be less than insane is if you used escrow.com or another escrow service. ask the "seller" if they'll go along with that. i bet you'll either get the runaround or no response.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
You are going to lose your money. It IS a scam. If you're stupid enough to go ahead with this despite so many people explicitly telling you that you're going to get ripped off, you deserve to lose your money. I sincerely hope that you're not that stupid.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i took ya'll advice and backed out the deal, it got way to fishy, so i said **** u and thats the end of that chapter i'm still looking for a used DH bike for $1500usd but locals only (US or CAD, preferably east coast)

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
the 2 step i feel is just a beefier version of my AC, if i'm gonna spend all my money, i want like a completely differen't bike then the AC (more travel!!)