Quantcast

Which bike?

Swan

Chimp
Jul 31, 2006
Nor Cal
I am choosing between the Tbc Preston, the SC nomad, and the intense 6.6. Also, possibly on the list would be a Titus El guapo. Im leaning more twords the SC and the TBC because I am loading a bunch of my old downhill parts onto the frame. I want to be able to keep it on Xc trails with relative climbing ease. Any ideas as to which bikes could be built well for Am riding, but could still hit a ski resort when the summer rolls arround again? Any suggestions woud help out a lot!

ScottJensen

Chimp
Oct 9, 2006
nomad. myself i one a v10 and bullit, and have ridden friends nomads. there simply amazing. its lieka combo of the 10 and bullit. it will be my next bike...hands down.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'd say preston, i'm not a big SC fan because of the owner's attitude and also just the ride of their bikes. intense has a much better frame design that incorperates the vpp better than the santa cruz. i will say that the nomad is probably a fairly nice ride, but the transition is a no nonsense frame that is perfectly suited for what you are describing.

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
kirt voreis made the nomad look really good in kranked 6. haha. But really thats probably what i would go with.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
My Preston FR rocked as a AM bike, it takes it all, the design is simple, but perfect. i had a burly build on mine, a little on the heavy side for the cross country type but im not a weight weany, i could still pedal the bike anywere i wanted to go and then rip on it going down the trails, jumps, drops, tech lines it is a confidence building bike, you might think 5" is not a lot of travel but the Preston feels like it has more. i cant speak about the 2007 Preston, only what ive heard and that it is even better, hard to imagine knowing how much i love the 2006 model. anyway i would say go with Transition, you might even want to look at the Covert, my buddy just built one up, his build is a burly one and he has been hiting everything with no complaints, he loves his, you get 6" of rear travel and youll save around 2-3 lbs on frame weight. check it out.

skerb

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Clemson,SC
preston hands down

I have an 06 with a swinger 4 way air and with a fairly burly build she comes in at 38 lbs...but i still can take it on epic xc trips or the pisgah screaming descents...

get the Transition, you wont regret it.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
^^^^ His preston is a tank. You could easily get a preston down under 35 with some lighter parts. My vote goes to the Preston as well, Id get one but the Bottle Rocket is just too tempting.

sweetimzack

Monkey
May 28, 2006
well id say go with the intense!! known for quality and you can make it so there not as heavy as some are. Personally you could just get a 700 stock complete ironhorse and spend over 700 in parts to make it a dh bike with a light frame thats singlecrown and can still climb and ride xc fine its just a pain to but you could it much easyr than with a dh bike =P

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
i am a huge santa cruz mang but...that 6.6 is very hard to beat. It even has a bottle mount for night riding unlike the nomad.