Quantcast

which brakes for Windrock?

ironhorse411

Chimp
Apr 29, 2006
It's time for some new brakes as my other ones have finally died. There going to be used for Windrock and some random DH/FR spot. I am looking at either Hayes Mags or Avid juicy sevens. I posted in here because I wanted to get some feedback from people that ride Windrock and know how the brakes peform there. I can't spend over $350 because I can't afford it. Any other brake suggestions are welcome.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
What? A specific brake system for Windrock? I find that brakes only slow you down.:rofl:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
first of all.
if you're going to ride here, you'd better be ready to spend $$$.
$350 will get you brakes worthy of no more than x-c riding.

here's what the locals are running.
hayes w/8in. rotors. full metalic pads.
set your levers up to where they are just a little shy of the bars as they come on strong. that gives you better modulation and less arm pump, as your fingers aren't reaching way out for the levers.

get ready to go through brake pads every couple of sessions. they don't last long here.
i toss em when they get about half worn down. at that point they start to wear extremely fast and you'll go from having pad to metal to metal contact within one run. quickly ruining a rotor.

running cheap parts out here will break your budget. as you'll spend more time in the parking lot than riding.and more time on the phone monday mornings, ordering new s... and brakes are no place to skimp on $$$.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
Jeremy R said:
That's because they were gone.
I looked at them and there was still plenty left. Is there some sort of coating on brake rotors? I was looking at my rear rotor cause it was making this really weird noise at this one spot and it looked like some coating was worn off.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
DHracer1067 said:
I looked at them and there was still plenty left. Is there some sort of coating on brake rotors? I was looking at my rear rotor cause it was making this really weird noise at this one spot and it looked like some coating was worn off.
you cooked your pads and glazed you rotors.

toss the pads and remove the rotor and take some very fine sandpaper(400-440 grit)and lightly sand off the glaze.

it'll take a half a run or so with new pads and sanded rotor, for them to bed in. then you'll be fine.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Jeremy R said:
Onza Porcupines would be another top bet.
They work well with the Onza pedals and the Onza Rail/Rip tire combo.:rofl:
I hear WR is hell on pedal elastomers and canti brake hangars. Bring extras.

Roodle

Chimp
Apr 24, 2006
Rockville, MD
full metallic pads? what brand would those be?

i'm running hayes nines and whatever the stock sintered pads (gold back) are, but am going to buy/order some new pads for this weekend's trip to windrock.

where do i score these fine stoppers?

of course, if i already have them that would be cool to know too. :)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The stock Hayes pads, copper backed, are what I run. The black backed ones are organic, I think, and wear out really fast.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
I ran a U-brake with a gyro on my 20" last time I was there. Had absolutely no problems.

Basically any hydraulic brake not XC specific w/8" rotors is fine...except Hopes.

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
Keep in mind that if you use Hayes brakes, use the Mags. Some of the others might not be ideal. You will use your brakes a lot. If you brakes are not up to par you will have problems!!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
ditto to Tom. And DITTO to the full metallic pads....if you can get them. Hayes buyers are fond of the semi-metallic pads b/c they are quieter. But the full metal ones last longest, have a more solid feel and definitely bite better.

My bike came with Juicy 7's nad i'm giving them a try to see how they hold up. They did fine at Windrock last weekend...did destroy the little red knob/power adjuster thing though. The knob is plastic wrapped on metal so it tore the plastic only. If the dial had been metal, it would have ripped the adjuster out.

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
I like that. Maybe if your brakes did not work you could have just kept on "keep On".

I bet if you get your elbow drunk you could get some!:wave:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
bizutch said:
that's not even a fresh wound bub. There are scabs....hell, no raw meat or oozing. Old news. Show us fresh ground chuck...or Ben
Dude the elbow is mighty fresh. Its got super glue on it. Right on the elbow is about 1/2" deep. But I pulled it together and put that liquid stitches on it. It can't ooze, its sealed shut and hard as a rock. That liquid stitches/super glue stuff is great. I carry some in my riding gear. Ask Chepler how deep it is. I cleaned it up at his place yesterday.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
my hayes mags did just fine. i was running semi-metalic pads and there was surprisingly still pad left (although i only made three runs cause well souther rocks ****ed me up), but juicy 7s should do fine for windrock although i would be kinda worried about the adjuster nob rip off like it did with butch but still a good set of brakes from what i have heard and what i have ridden.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Roodle said:
full metallic pads? what brand would those be?

i'm running hayes nines and whatever the stock sintered pads (gold back) are, but am going to buy/order some new pads for this weekend's trip to windrock.

where do i score these fine stoppers?

of course, if i already have them that would be cool to know too. :)
the gold backed pads are the ones i'm talking about.the blacks work ok too, but the golds stop much better in the front.