Quantcast

Which chainguide is better?

darenp

Chimp
Mar 22, 2007
Which dual ring chainguide is better, blackspire dewlie or e13 drs?I have a couple of guys at work that run both and they all say both are great. I have heard a lot of good things about e13, but i havn't really heard that much about the blackspire. So help please

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i just got a black spire chain guide for my bike it is by far teh easiest chain guild that i have ever installed. also its pretty damn quiet

i have also had the DRS its a pretty good if you are not in a muddy area. i would look else where it i bought a new duelly chain guild

darenp

Chimp
Mar 22, 2007
yea I'm in the pacific northwest and it gets pretty muddy. So I guess the blackspire would be my choice

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I had a Dewlie for a while. Worked pretty well. No major issues or anything. The chain dropped a few times onto the small ring, but it never dropped completely or jammed. A good buy overall.

darenp

Chimp
Mar 22, 2007
Is there any big performance differences between the two. I like the way the dewlie looks. but is the e13 better because I see them on alot of bikes?

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the blackspier guides are top notch. though right now and for the past few years everyones been all about e13. both are good but i still prefer my blackspier. its light, quite, and easy to setup

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches

i will have to disagree with sir cracken on this one. there is a pic of my buddies drs coverd in mud at a local race here in february, and well it was like that all day during practice and that guide has yet to drop a chain.

there is a pic the next morning of the thing completely frozen and well we took them out for a little warmup ride before we loaded them up and well yet again still had no droppage even with the thing completely frozen. my vote goes the drs man and well if you dont believe they work in the mud there is the proof. hope that helps man.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i never said that they don't work in the mud. looks like th stuff you had was more of a soup. the problem i had with the drs was with thicker mud found on the east coast (though doesn't look as thick as the stuff i'm use to in the above pics). the stuff stick to about everything and it would pack into the drs and sts to tightly that it was physically hard to pedal. i have never ridden in the northwest so i can't comment on the mud up there but the drs will pack in east coast mud for sure

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
im running a srs and my buddy is running his drs, and both of us live on the east coast. we have ridden the day after a down poor before and neither of us have had problems with them. they shed mud quite nicely if you ask me. if you just pedal a little bit it will kick all the mud out of the roller and the guide and you will have no problems with them at all, and well since we kinda have to pedal to get them to move it sheds the mud as you go. me and my friend have never experianced this hard pedal that you are talking about with the mud.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
I had a 2003 or 2004 Dewlie and it was LOUD. It worked beautifully though and if they've changed the roller and made it quieter I would definitely buy again.

darenp

Chimp
Mar 22, 2007
I ended up getting the blackspire stinger and a e13 bashguard, and it works great. thanks for all the help!