Quantcast

Which DH fork should i get?

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
For next season im whanna have a new DH fork for my Trek Session project,i don't have the money yet for a new fork so i need to save money for it.I have my eyes set on these 4.

- Rock Shox Boxxer WC 2011
- Fox 40 RC2 FIT Kashima
- Manitou Dorado Pro
- Kowa 200SI

I whanna know if people here who have riddin one of these forks listed or head some spare time on them,would be great if they could write something here how good they are etc.I whanna make sure when i have the money for it,that i have made the rigth decission since non of these forks are far from cheap imo.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Nothing wrong but it's now on my other bike,so i don't need it any more for the Session.

Feb 17, 2010
A, A
All those options that you stated are very viable, although I don't know much about the Kowa, it looks to be a solid fork. One thing to think about though, is maintenance, and ease of getting and reinstalling parts. Also it depends on your riding style, the Fox 40 is a big fork, huge stanchions, super beefy fork, and if you're more of a flow rider it may be more than you need. I ride a 10 boxxer, and i love it, although it is a base level race, its easy to take apart, its laid out pretty straightforward and its oh so light, not to mention its not going to break the bank. I think of the Manitou Dorado as being a serious race fork, if you are a serious racer looking to podium, then it should be considered. I have talked to several ppl about the ride and they say its phenomenol, super smooth, stiff, good progression through the travel, but again the price is high, $1600 for aluminum and i believe $2100 for carbon fiber....

Manitou Kingpin is not even in the same class, I wouldn't ride another cheap Manitou if you twisted my arm..... Marzocchi 888 is again a solid choice, its been around for awhile, they're an excellent company with parts that are readily available....

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Quick Dorado Pro Thought.
1. Very Adjustable
2. Fairly Stiff
3. Tracks Well
4. Can Make Progressive
5. Light
6. Very Well Made

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I have looked arround i have found these prices(in euro) of all the 4 forks,oh well i will add the 888 to the list

Rock Shox Boxxer 2011 is €1498.25
Fox 40RC2 FIT Kashima is €1978,00
Manitou Dorado Pro is €1499,00
Kowa 200SI is €1350,00
Marzocchi 888 RC3 Evo Ti 2011 is €1498,25

I have read on CRC that the 2011 888 Evo Ti is now 226g lighter than the MY10 model,new RC3 Evo Damper etc

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
rockshox boxxer race (about $650-750 us), add air spring, honed stanction and aircap for about $250 retail, and add avy cart for $385 us.

I have looked arround i have found these prices(in euro) of all the 4 forks,oh well i will add the 888 to the list

Rock Shox Boxxer 2011 is €1498.25
Fox 40RC2 FIT Kashima is €1978,00
Manitou Dorado Pro is €1499,00
Kowa 200SI is €1350,00
Marzocchi 888 RC3 Evo Ti 2011 is €1498,25

I have read on CRC that the 2011 888 Evo Ti is now 226g lighter than the MY10 model,new RC3 Evo Damper etc
What about a BOS Idylle

http://boutique.bosmtb.com/en/produits/p7-idylle

or Idylle RaRe

http://boutique.bosmtb.com/en/produits/p6-idylle-rare

since you are in Europe they are in the same price range as the other forks. Top level performance with once a year oil change and seals every 2.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The new Marzocchi feels great. It will be the least maintenance of any of those forks and feels very smooth, both due to a lot of oil sloshing around inside.
So you are saying its better than the last 4 or so years worth of 888's that have been released?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
No leaks from my 2010 888. I burp the legs now and then and they are building up some pressure (like almost every DH or MX fork I've owned) but they don;t leak.

To be clear on weights the 2010 Evo Ti was the first 888 with butted legs, saving 240g over the '08, '09, and cheaper '10 888s. I weighed both legs.
I haven't heard what changes will be made for 2011 (besides TiNi legs which are a sure thing) but got the impression that there will be a better damper.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Damper improvements are slated for 2012. 2011's have been in production for a bit.

Timmigrant

Chimp
Aug 13, 2003
Vancouver, BC
I've spent a bunch of time on the 2010 Dorado Pro and the 2010 888 Evo Ti. Having also spent time on the 2010 Boxxer and the 2010 Fox 40 I think the two best forks at the moment are the Dorado and the 888. Although when serviced regularly the 40 feels fantastic on the trail I'd pass on the 40 due to the initial cost and very regular maintenance required. I'd pass on the Boxxer due to the compression spiking issues, what seems to be like fairly poor and inconsistent build quality, the requirement to have them serviced before they work properly, and fairly regular maintenance interval. Based on the forks I've ridden I think the Dorado and 888 were better performers.

Deciding between the 888 and the Dorado is tough, and likely based on your personal preference. I really like how adjustable the damping and air spring is on the Dorado. Both performed extremely well out of the box, are light and stiff, and have excellent dampers. That being said the 888 has unmatched bump adsorption, zero stiction, I prefer coil springs, and likely won't require any maintenance over a season of riding and racing.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
From CRC about the 2011 model

For 2011 Marzocchi went back to it’s roots and reintroduced the core values and technologies that made the original Bomber such a revolutionary fork.

Press reception has been strong with the 888 models all receiving high praise, winning group tests and picking up magazine awards.

For 2011 Marzocchi are keeping things simple. Each model now has a three year life cycle with only one new model or model group per year receiving the full attention of the design department. Working in this way ensures each model is optimized to be the best performing model in its category.

Key technology
Marzocchi have technology at entry level you can count on. Proven on the toughest race tracks by pro teams to the local tracks by the weekend enthusiast, Marzocchi design and use parts built to last.
• Slotted and fitted bushes
• Titanium Spring
• Highest quality Japanese NOK seals
• Easy to use QR 20 systems
• New machining process ensures parallel perfection between uppers and lowers
• Open bath technology with bottom out MDU
• 3 year warranty with no service stipulations
• Internally butted stanchions
• No rider weight limits
• Designed to exceed the CEN testing standard

RC3 EVO Cartridge:
• Open bath cartridge technology
• Adjustable rebound
• Adjustable Hi and Lo speed compression
• MDU bottom out bumper
• New simpler adjusters
• EVO cartridge has a customizable compression shim stack
• EVO cartridge now available on the 888 models!

Features:
• 200mm travel
• Ti coil spring with pre-load and volume adjust
• New RC3 EVO Damper
• NEW adjusters
• New 38mm butted alloy stanchions
• Colour: Titanium Grey

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I've spent a bunch of time on the 2010 Dorado Pro and the 2010 888 Evo Ti. Having also spent time on the 2010 Boxxer and the 2010 Fox 40 I think the two best forks at the moment are the Dorado and the 888. Although when serviced regularly the 40 feels fantastic on the trail I'd pass on the 40 due to the initial cost and very regular maintenance required. I'd pass on the Boxxer due to the compression spiking issues, what seems to be like fairly poor and inconsistent build quality, the requirement to have them serviced before they work properly, and fairly regular maintenance interval. Based on the forks I've ridden I think the Dorado and 888 were better performers.

Deciding between the 888 and the Dorado is tough, and likely based on your personal preference. I really like how adjustable the damping and air spring is on the Dorado. Both performed extremely well out of the box, are light and stiff, and have excellent dampers. That being said the 888 has unmatched bump adsorption, zero stiction, I prefer coil springs, and likely won't require any maintenance over a season of riding and racing.
One thing that will never convince me to the 888 is the dive. Even if there is less of it its still there.
Also my boxxer wc has no spiking issues. Works amazing though Ive found out that its kinda not the fork if you want to ride over rocks 1/3 the size of your wheel. Need to open it now as the rebound gave up on me after that.

Also I 2nd the bos idylle option or the race went avy option. Booth seam like very good ideas.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Kingpins are 1 of the worst forks ever made:disgust:,i will never pick one even if it was free.Can any one tell me more about the Kowa forks they seem intressting:).

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Theres a reason the popular forks are popular, because they are better, Just buy a boxxer team or if you really feel strongly about it put an avy cart in a race.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Theres a reason the popular forks are popular, because they are better, Just buy a boxxer team or if you really feel strongly about it put an avy cart in a race.
Usualy popular stuff is popular because of marketing, price and availability. Tell the better part to the toyota execs as camry seemed to be popular ;)

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
The dorado seems to get rave reviews, kind of a shame they are an upside down design as even if they were eleventeen times better than anything else out there and guaranteed a 10 second advantage I would still never even consider them due to the age old UK uplift problem :(

Would really love a couple of runs of both the Bos and Dorado tho.

Daz

Chimp
Mar 5, 2008
I have spent time on the Dorado, Boxxer WC, and Kowa this year. My vote for you would be the Dorado.

The Dorado was more forgiving and had more control than the other two on both the chatter/braking bump type stuff and seemed bottomless on big G-outs. The upside down design means quick reaction due to reduced unsprung weight. That said the upside down design on the Kowa suffered a lot in torsional stiffness and could even twist on hard twisting loads and stay there till wrenched back inline by hand. The Dorado never did that. Also the Kowa was kind of a pig on weight. If you are building for light weight the Boxxer was the lightest of them all but I would take the feel of the Dorado any day over it.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Owning a current model Boxxer WC, I can tell you what NOT to buy - one of these. Other than the fact that they're simple to work on, light, and as yet hasn't snapped in half, there is little I like about my fork. It's fairly sticky, small bump absorption isn't great at all, the spring rate of the air cart sucks, the damper tunes from stock are crap and require significant reworking, oil somehow leaks through the rebound adjusters, and the seals don't last long at all. With significant amounts of work, mine does actually ride "alright" but it SHOULD be better than this out of the box given what it costs, and given the amount of time and effort I've put into tuning it, it should be pretty much the best fork in the world... but it's not even close. Tons of these have significant bushing slop too, though fortunately mine is reasonably tight.

Actually gotten some proper time on one of the new 40s recently and I'm fairly sure that'll be my next fork. The old 40s certainly weren't the most reliable things around, however I'm hoping the new damper/bladder setup will be better and that maybe I can just deal with the seals blowing fairly frequently, but there is no question in my mind that they ride significantly better than the Boxxers - way more sensitive to small bumps, far more precise and useful damping adjustments. I hate bleeding dampers though, and replacing seals isn't up there on my "things I like to do before breakfast each day" list either, so hopefully the new 40s are a bit more robust than the old ones.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
How are inverted forks more susceptible to damage when shuttling than regular kine? I'd think the stanchion protectors would make it better.
Typically at most UK uplift/races bikes are stacked alongside each other nose to tail in the back of a cattle truck, lowers tend to get absolutely raped off pedals/chainstays/brake calipers etc, Dorados would get abused in a really shirt time I reckon.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Has any one head issue's with the Maxle on their 10 boxxers?,mine is rusted and it's stuck like super glue so i can't change the front wheel if i needed.If the 11 boxxer will face the same problems with the maxle,then i think i will step away from the boxxer choice

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Has any one head issue's with the Maxle on their 10 boxxers?,mine is rusted and it's stuck like super glue so i can't change the front wheel if i needed.If the 11 boxxer will face the same problems with the maxle,then i think i will not pick up another boxxer again.
Im starting to think Im super lucky. Ive had no problems with my wc till I decided to loose my line into around 10 inch rock, still Its in one piece I just need to have a look inside. Though Im very suprised that around now many not so positive reviews come out about them.

Socket - does the new 2011 fox feel less wooden than the old ones? Though what your post really wants me to do is to get an avy chart ;)

Timmigrant

Chimp
Aug 13, 2003
Vancouver, BC
One thing that will never convince me to the 888 is the dive. Even if there is less of it its still there.
Also my boxxer wc has no spiking issues. Works amazing though Ive found out that its kinda not the fork if you want to ride over rocks 1/3 the size of your wheel. Need to open it now as the rebound gave up on me after that.

Also I 2nd the bos idylle option or the race went avy option. Booth seam like very good ideas.
I presume you've spent a significant amount of time on a 2010 888 Evo Ti to make a comment like that. I can't say I've noticed much of any "dive" on my newer 888, and the compression adjustments very effective alter where the fork rides in it's travel on the trail. Other folks that have ridden my bike have all been blown away by the performance of the 2010 888. That being said if you don't like the linear spring rate of a coil spring and prefer the more progressive nature of the air spring the Dorado preformed far better on the trail than the Boxxer WC's I've ridden.

To the OP, from what I've ridden I'd suggest leaning the way of 888 Evo Ti if you prefer a coil spring, and lean the way of the Dorado if you prefer an air spring.