Quantcast

Which direction to properly turn a wrench?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I took an auto shop class back in the day and the instructor told us to turn an open ended wrench in the direction of the longer thincker portion of the wrench. Someone else recently said that its the opposite way. Expert mechanics want to ring in?

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
You suck.
not really.
It's just an ergonomic thing, I really don't think it matters, unless you're using those fancy ones that grab better.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
robdamanii said:
Place the wrench on the bolt, facing you. Turn the wrench clockwise for tighter. Counterclockwise for looser.
Thats definatley not what he was asking.

For cycling applications it doesnt matter. For higher torque stuff, follow what the instructor said.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Changleen said:
It matters more for adjustable wrenches. Definatley fixed side on top for those!
Adjustables typically will have an arrow on them to remind you. And I need reminding every time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
is that a metric adjustable wrench, or standard?
That is the other trick, Crescent brand adjustable wrenches have their size labeled on each side, one side in inch one side in metric. For example one of mine says 8" on one side and 200mm on the other. It is very important to have the English side facing you when using on inch fasteners and the Metric side facing out when wrenching metric fasteners. Using them in any other manner is uncivilized