Quantcast

Which european lifts open soonest?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I quite fancy a short week-long DH holiday somewhere in Europe - anyone here know which lifts open when? Looking for somewhere in May.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Winterberg is supposed to open on the 19th this month, but i guess you'd rather ride a real mountain, which might be a problem since even Winterberg still has snow.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Doesn't have to be a MASSIVE mountain, so long as its 3min+ and has a chairlift and I can get a decent number of runs in in a day I'm happy, I think... :)

pinkshirtphotos: I'm talking about squeezing a 5-day trip between two weekend races, so I think going to the states will be more travelling than I care for for such a short trip. Tempting though... I only know of Plattekill?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Cheers yeti, I've just been trying to find out about Todtnau, and even though I was on that site I couldn't find that info :)

Klunky: Ft Bill is certainly a consideration, when does it actually open, I can't find a site for it, no idea what it's called?

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Nevis range. Last couple of years it opened onthe 21st of may but I have been told that its open on the weekend of the 10th and 1th this year. Wooooooot I cant wait its a 2 hour drive my place!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Ft Bill would make sense because it's the easiest to get to and I've never been there. From what I've seen of the track though I've never thought it looks much fun, something like Todtnau looks more my cup of tea from youtube.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
bad wildbad is allready open ~1h from stuttgart, germany
bikepark geisskopf in bavaria opens last weekend of april
bikepark oberammergau in bavaria opens 10. may
bikepark todtnau also last weekend of april

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
So, basically I have a crapload of choice ;D

OK, of all the mainland europe places, where would I enjoy the most do you think for a week? Video I've seen of Todtnau looked great, most of these other places I've never heard of...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Hmmm, I was pretty set on Todtnau, just about to book the ferry but now my mate has told me he went there a couple of years ago and didnt think much of the track, pretty flat apparently? :(

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
check out switchbacksdh.com in spain its class a load of my riding buddies have been and never shut up about it. Its not chairlift riding but Mike the guy who runs the place has a few vans and shuttles you to the top. Its ment to be amazing well worth going to far better than the likes of les gets and morzine etc. I missed out going this year as i had to get my fix of snow. He's open all year round expcet august cause its too hot to ride.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Cheers for all the recommendations guys, maybe I'll do a week holiday each month? :D

Todtnau wins over SBDH for now because it's so much closer and I'll be driving. Since I'm only going for 4-5 days minimal time spent travelling is key.

I reckon I can leave a UK race at 5pm, kip for a couple of hours on the ferry, kip a couple more hours along the way, and be ready to ride in Todtnau by 9am the next day :D

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I presume anywhere in the alps like Crans Montana is a no-no in May because there'll still be loads of snow?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
Cheers for all the recommendations guys, maybe I'll do a week holiday each month? :D

Todtnau wins over SBDH for now because it's so much closer and I'll be driving. Since I'm only going for 4-5 days minimal time spent travelling is key.

I reckon I can leave a UK race at 5pm, kip for a couple of hours on the ferry, kip a couple more hours along the way, and be ready to ride in Todtnau by 9am the next day :D
remember to check the homepage before you start your trip, we had snow the last days, dunno what the conditions are there now...

todtnau: www.mtb-fun-park.de

you can also try the bike park in lac blanc, near colmar in france, should be 1,5h away from todtnau www.lacblanc-bikepark.com or the bikepark in bad wildbad, 2h away in the north (take the autobahn 5 to karlsruhe, then the autobahn 8 to stuttgart) www.bikepark-bad-wildbad.de

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah I saw bad wildbad was in the same vicinity, doesn't look nearly as good from the videos I've seen? I'll look Lac Blanc up too.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Swiss public transportation usually involves steep mountains and they let you take your bike on the trains and trams.

this is not for skiing or biking but public transportation.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
Yeah I saw bad wildbad was in the same vicinity, doesn't look nearly as good from the videos I've seen? I'll look Lac Blanc up too.
bad wildbad is harder than todtnau, it has more rocks and roots, also it has the old dh track, todtnau has only the wildride, more a freeride track. wildbad has dh 1, dh2, 2 freeride tracks, a bikerx, a dual course and some north shore styled obstacles. i would ride all 3 three courses when you come a whole week...

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Todtnau flat? WTF?
Its a really fast bad ass track and so is Bad Wildbad.
Ill guarantee youll like both m of them but if the weather isnt all that BWB is imo the better option.
They have a train thingy in stead of a lift and the track is very rideable in the wet. Todtnau could get sketchy...

Bikepark Geiskoff Bischofsmais is also very good, not to difficult but fast and fun.
Stay away from Winterberg or Willingen, Winterberg is fun bit hella easy and hella short.
Willingen is just plain crap.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Read his posts, he said he'd consider the U.S. but only knew about Plattekill.
I only agree reading his posts is good and Seb writes just above your post that "I'm talking about squeezing a 5-day trip between two weekend races". Difficult as Pk and Diablo is not open on during the week in May.

And suggesting any of the two is still not good advice to Seb. I have traveled in Canada, US and Europe with my bike and I was to fly to North America form Europe there are much better suggestions if you are spending that kind of money.

PS Thank you for the negative rep :monkey:

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
and stay away from the swiss alps, tons of snow up there right now. over here in Zürich there is snow already around 800m. maybe check out the southern part of the alps heading to Italy, those bastards always have nicer weather.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Cheers for all of the suggestions - will keep to Todtnau-ish area for now, because it's so much closer to Calais than italy/maribor etc. (I'll be driving from the UK). Should probably buy myself a GPS and shove all the locations in before I go for ease of hopping between them if I/we choose to.

Just booked the ferry :)

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
maribor is great and worth a visit!

and although it's not that near to todtnau it's worth a 8h car ride.

i rode both and i must say that maribor is A LOT better.

here's a link to viamichelin:

http://tiny.cc/ejBKa

... and the beers is cheaper, the chicks are hotter .... :biggrin:

generally spoken: maribor is a town with infrastructure (several strip-clubs, loads of bars etc..) while todtnau is a tiny mountain village with no pleasures involved ( except maybe binge drinking in the parking lot....)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Hmmm, I HAVE always loved the look of maribor on the videos... ;) And you say the girls are fit yeah? :) Unfortunately it doesn't fit with the week I'm doing (May 5th-9th) as the world cup is on that following weekend, so I presume the course would be shut most of the week for practice etc.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i think that whereever you go, you'll have fun! enjoy your trip to this side of the pond! if you can't make it to all the places mentioned above, you've already got an excuse to book your next trip to europe!:redface:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Enjoy whatever you end up doing, but you should know that you are not getting out of this without a ride report, so pack a camera.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I always pack a camera, but rarely use it due to it being too big to take when riding. I need to get myself a cheap compact, the quality wont be the same, but at least I'll get some photos!