Votes: 56 62.9%
  • Right

Votes: 33 37.1%

• Total voters

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
ya its all about what feels comfortable, just like skateboarding or snowboarding. I ride right foot forward.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I've heard that left-foot-forward is normal, from my BMX days. That way you run left side pegs (because you spin to the right)and you don't land on your chainwheel when you grind.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
oh yeah, I'm left-foot forward too.

I know it has nothing to do with hand or eye dominance, because almost all of the people I know are right handed/right eye dominant and about half are left-footers, half are right footers.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
you forgot an option for "either one"

My bashguard has as many dings at 6 o'clock as it does at 12, so I ride pretty much either one forward, about equally. I prefer to take my last pedal stroke for a wheelie drop with my right, but can do either one...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I usually do left foot forward, and I've been told I'm weird, because I'm right eye and right hand dominant, and given a choice, I kick with my right foot (used to play soccer).

My bashguard dings are almost all at 12:00.

Good to see I'm not alone!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by binary visions
I usually do left foot forward, and I've been told I'm weird, because I'm right eye and right hand dominant, and given a choice, I kick with my right foot (used to play soccer).

My bashguard dings are almost all at 12:00.

Good to see I'm not alone!
Me too but I think of it in terms of snowboarding, surfing etc. More weight back on your stronger leg. I'm regular footed on every activity (left foward) because my right leg is stronger.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
For right-handed right-footed people left foot forward while bunny hopping etc. is normal isn't it? Reason being the back foot does most of the work so your stronger, more controled leg would be there.

Like when you ask someone to skid in gravel most people will skid to the left.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by kidwoo
Me too but I think of it in terms of snowboarding, surfing etc. More weight back on your stronger leg. I'm regular footed on every activity (left foward) because my right leg is stronger.
I never thought of it that way.

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I pretty much ride/jump/drop with my left foot forward. I've learned some beginner trials moves like pedal kicking, for that I have my left foot forward too. I always jump lefty, but recently I've pulled a few unintentional one-footers where my left foot has come off the pedal.

I've tried to purposely ride with my right foot forward at times but it feels awkward. The only time I can do anything with my right foot forward is a counter-clockwise 180 on my front wheel. Clockwise = lefty again. Its weird.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I ride left foot forward. I also seem to corner better to the left. I have always wondered if there was a connection. I have tried riding right forward to see if they helps right turning but it just feels too weird.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Originally posted by D_D
For right-handed right-footed people left foot forward while bunny hopping etc. is normal isn't it? Reason being the back foot does most of the work so your stronger, more controled leg would be there.

that's strange... well, i must be strange. i write right-handed, throw right-handed, kick left-footed (soccer), shoot basketballs right-handed, prefer basketball layups left-handed, bat (baseball) right-handed, skate/snowboard goofy footed, DH and bunny hop left foot forward, would skid to my right, and my left foot is smaller than my right?

i guess it's just all about whatever you are comfortable with.

now, i'll just have to try biking right foot forward... i never really paid much attention to what i do, i sure as hell know that i can't throw left handed.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I ride right foot forward (goofy). I thought the old trick, from my skateboarding days, was to have someone push you from behind and whatever foot naturally comes forward to keep your balance is your dominant foot. Works for me at least.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Nick
I've tried to purposely ride with my right foot forward at times but it feels awkward. The only time I can do anything with my right foot forward is a counter-clockwise 180 on my front wheel. Clockwise = lefty again. Its weird.
Every time I start descending I try to remember to switch now. Panic puts me back in the comfort zone though. After a summer of riding DH last year trying to ride opposite, I did notice I was "ready" for certain techy sections or turns a lot more often. Definitely something to work on.

I'm trying to dirt jump opposite footed now. That's a little more difficult for me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by D_D
I would skid to the right.. Well, what I think you mean is that your rear tire would swing out to the left. If I were to skid intentionally, I'd slide the rear end out to the right.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by binary visions
I would skid to the right.. Well, what I think you mean is that your rear tire would swing out to the left. If I were to skid intentionally, I'd slide the rear end out to the right.
There is a gravel path close to my house that has some mild hilly sections. Kids like to get up speed on the hills then skid to stop. Allmost all of them skid to the left ie pull the brake turn to the left, stick their left foot on the ground and pivot around it.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Left foot here...maybe it's because I'm a lefty but that doesn't explain the majority of the people using their left foot. Who knows.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ride left foot forward.
Surf left foot forward.
Bat lefthanded.
Shoot left hockey.
Write with my right hand.

For what it's worth...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
"You put your left leg in, you take your left leg out...":dancing:

Thats what its all about;)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I had to learn to do both. If I stay with what is natural 100% of the time my knee starts to ache badly...oh my natural is left foot forward...I practice bunny hop, wheelies, everything unatural and natural.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Originally posted by BigMike
I ride Left foot foreward, and people have told me thats goofy-footed. I like it :)
Left foot forward, how I ride too, is actually regular, not goofy.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Ride right foot forward.
Skate right foot forward.
Snowboard right foot forward.
Bat left handed.
Write best with left, but can also semi write with right hand.
I'd like to learn how to ride left foot forward that way I can have more choices when I'm wheelie dropping or other things like that.

goin' medium

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Newark, CA
Right handed,
Normally left foot forward, except for drops...
If I am wheelie dropping my hardtail I like to give power with my right leg. I used to then pedal through the bottom to land with the right foot back, but on shortish drops it is an awkward landing. I don't have time to bedal all the way through, and land with the cranks verticle. Over about 3 feet gives me time to reset.

I am learning to do more of a pedal kick and land right foot forward. I tried giving power with my left leg... Let's just say it's a bad idea. So I am trying to learn right forward.

I also find that I sidehop away from the back foot. If I am jumping left, right foot back. If I am trying to go right, left foot back, but it is not a pretty hop.

Scott

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
I jump/drop/bunnyhop/coast/etc left foot forward, but in the starting gate I am right foot forward. Snowboarding I am right foot forward. When I used to get in fights in high school I always started out left foot forward. Never really gave any of this much thought, I just do what feels natural.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Originally posted by stoney98
here's one for ya....

Ok, I kick the ball with my right
Skate with my left lead
Ride with my right lead
Fighting stance left lead

....yeah, I'm right handed too.
I'm the same on all of these.

YETI187

Chimp
Nov 28, 2003
i'm a MAsshole!!!
i ride with my left foot forward, but i drop-in with my right foot forward. this is why i mess up when i try to pull disaster stalls, i try to back-pedal in the air, but have yet to be able to

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
the great Hans R quoted saying "you have t have the sweet chocolate on both feet",that makes sense for off camber stiuations and what you might find in the trail.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I ride left forward naturally but try to spend a lot of time riding both so I don't get caught in a situation where I'm uncomfortable.

I remember reading in a BMX mag about 15 years ago that right handed people were usually more comfortable turning left and lefties liked to turn right. That's not always the case but I've noticed it is often the case. Most people are righties and how many race tracks do you see where the first turn is not a left hander?

D

Dingus McGee

Right forward like skating...does that mean I ride goofyfoot too?
If you don't skate or board and want to know if you are regular or goofy, someone once told me to envision running up to a frozen lake and sliding across it on your feet...which foot would go first?

Goofy-skating, boarding
Right handed EXCEPT I write left handed....weird!
I got sent to the principal's office in 4th grade for this :rolleyes:
but kept it up. I cannot write right or throw left.