Quantcast

Which forks to get

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Aaron has made a few very good pints here .

First off Axle to crown seems like the big issue here , you guys really need to look at the #'s out there then do the math there ALL pretty much the same .
Sure you can run a XC fork with will be lower and lighter . Strength to weight ratio doest even compair on most XC forks with a fork with dedicated 20mm through axle lowers.

Axle to crown measurement's per my records .
RST / Society Zeno 80mm = 482mm
Lowered marzocchi 4x to 90mm = 480mm
Rock shok argyle 100 =491mm
Lowered FOX 36 =485.30mm

Keep in mind before I started lowering forks and doing custom tunes on damping systems everyone was running 100mm -150mm forks on their DJ bikes :disgust1: that moved around like pogo sticks .

As Strauss pointed out ( thanks Levi :clapping: ) these are production forks designed to ride well on most every bike out there , there not ment to be modified at all these are take out of the box install and ride away forks .
Litterly set it and forget it , no need to mess with spacers and heavy weight oil's these are straight outta the box pro level DJ forks that can be ridden by the best riders out there and not harmed .
I WAS NOT going to release a product that would PUT MY CUSTOMERS or MY TEAM riders LIVES at RISK . IE: these aint snapping off at the crown or stanchion anytime soon !!

Please keep in mind this is our initial offering , it cost a TON of $$$$ to have new magnesium lower casting made and if sales go well , you will see more DJ and Street specific forks coming out through KOWA Factory in the near future . Next up we have a 100-mm 1.5 steerer tube slope-style fork coming out for people who like to jump their Bottlerocket's and other bikes similar to this .
I have one of the largest manufacturing corporation's in Japan supporting me and my designs now , really anything is possible.

What other bike manufactures have their own suspension lines BTW: Foes , Specialized ? YUP and Now Nemesis Project :shocked:
I don't know if it is expensive or nor. All i know is that every thing made in japan outstans in quality. Stuff like the tektro brakes is often underated, but once you try and use any Japanese made high-end bike part you can't go back to taiwanese.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
The Kowa/NemPro does look very nice. I have a NemPro Marz and that thing rides good so I'm sure Brad took that knowledge to this fork.

For certain riders and setups the 480mm a-c and $599 price tag might fit well.

I am sure some people know why, but the price of all forks have gotten stupid over the past few years. I bought a leftover Fox 36 for my sussy rig and that hurt the wallet bad. The current year 36's are coming close to the $1k mark. A quick look at Jenson and the Marz are there too.

I've always thought for the guys that ride steel 24" and 26", SS, rear brake only rigs that a simple, short, $250 fork would be spot-on. I thought Atomlab had it but the 1st version fell short and there doesn't seem to be any more info on the newer ones save for a nice pic on their site.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Don is right, we don't need/want speed sensitive compresion or position senstive rebound, just a stiff/strong chassis, and a little bit of well behaved travel.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Straight up a $250 suspension fork that WON'T break is almost impossible right now given the current state of the economy and the international exchange rate for the dollar . I'd love to get into the price point , but that would requires release a inferior product .

Don made a very good point , were going to see the prices of bike parts increasing quite a bit over the next few months to a year .
Yea sorta sucks

Also for note : the KOWA forks are made in Japan at KOWA Osaka factory , these are NOT a product of Taiwan .
The Sug retail price has allot to do with the dollar to YEN exchange rate right now . Hopefully this will improve over time.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
argyle 318s are less than $300 NEW on ebay right now.

But for a cheap fork, i recommend the Blackmarket... it is $130. :)

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
why is it that everytime evil4bc makes a post, dexter is the second post after him. I think evil4bc is an internet pimp and dexter is his hoe. Dexter must feel belittled and ashamed.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
that Kowa looks killer, i can't wait to see some reviews of it, and some more on their longtravel fork too for the big bike!
word.

I'm still on a 3 or 4yr old DJ2. She's a little rusty now, but no major complaints, gets the job done when I need it.

Also have a black Pike 454 air-u, which is for sale by the way.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
why is it that everytime evil4bc makes a post, dexter is the second post after him. I think evil4bc is an internet pimp and dexter is his hoe. Dexter must feel belittled and ashamed.
Bitch please I post in threads all the time. Call me a hoe again and ill stomp your face in pal. And ya I do ride for Brad and have done so for a few years now. We keep in pretty close contact so I am up to date on his projects, new parts and frames, etc. A lot of the time I post replies for questions about his stuff before he gets a chance to do the recent huge increase in biz.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Way to represent the sponsors, e-tough guy!

No problem that I see here , Nem-Pro approves Dexter's replay .
BTW: Jersey Dirt try contributing to these fours instead of starting crap.
If you dont have something positive to post , then DON"T !!:clapping:

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
that Kowa looks killer, i can't wait to see some reviews of it, and some more on their longtravel fork too for the big bike!
Thanks !!
Look for some reviews of their longer travel offering here pretty soon .
I'm in the process of sending forks out to the media now.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
I don't know if it is expensive or nor. All i know is that every thing made in japan outstans in quality. Stuff like the tektro brakes is often underated, but once you try and use any Japanese made high-end bike part you can't go back to taiwanese.
Have you seen the Aebono DH brakes from Japan , soo sick
I really want a set of these for my new sus bike !!

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Say one of those KOWA forks breaks or something and the warrenty covers it, would you really have to ship it all the way over to slant eye land to get that covered?

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Say one of those KOWA forks breaks or something and the warrenty covers it, would you really have to ship it all the way over to JAPAN to get that covered?

KOWA factory US has 2 Round eye service center here in the states .
One in Colorado and on here in Nor-Cal at the KOWA factory offices in downtown Sacramento .

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Haha cool it sounds pretty legit you guys should work a little harder on the advertising it sounds like a lot of people dont actualy know about the fork yet.