Quantcast

which frame...

WoodsRider11

Chimp
Jun 2, 2005
CT
hey, im looking at various frames and am wondering, would an 03 stinky be better than an 03 giant ac? i would use it for freeride, dj's, trails...id be putting my 5 inch fork on it aswell
let me know
thanks

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
the stinky will be a much better frame over all in any case. I have a bunch of friends/people i know that have broken the AC in the same spot on the chain stay when they are jumped/dropped. The Kona Stinky will be a nicer frame.
jesse

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
stinky, i heard they have a really good frame design from what i was told..I haven't heard a lot about the AC but i have seen a lot more konas out there

Jun 8, 2006
Can you put a DC fork on the '03 AC? I know that the '04 came stock with one but I think that the '03 frame is different.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
I used to own a 2004 Stinky, which I think was about the same geometry for 2003 . Overall, it handled very nicely. Good bottom bracket height for clearance but top tube was a bit too short for me (since I wanted to do more trail riding). As a freeride frame, it's burly and should serve you well, huck after huck.

-pdawg

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I'd go withthe Kona of those two for harder use. Keep two things in mind:
1.) The "AC" stood for "All Conditions" - sort of an "all mountain" bike before that was the "in" term -use accordingly.

2.) the Kona was designed to be abused. If you are buying used, it may have been used that way.

caveat emptor, but I'd say Kona.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
all conditions can't be good at one thing..get something that is built for one or 2 reasons, like a stinky..dh and freeride

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
habitatxskate said:
all conditions can't be good at one thing..get something that is built for one or 2 reasons, like a stinky..dh and freeride
So can we thereby judge every frame based solely on it's name? Brilliant! :nope:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I make no sense? If you have no firsthand info about the bike, don't rely on only the name to make a recommendation...

"all conditions can't be good at one thing"

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
i've ridden one before..a run at diablo which can be super technical, so i do have first hand information

Teague

Chimp
May 31, 2002
Olympia WA
I would go with a Stinky. I have built up two Stinky frames, both bought used. One was a 2000 Deelux and the other was a 2003. It's a very straight forward, proven suspension design. Maybe not quite on par with some of the more expensive bikes, but for the money you can get an 02 or 03 frame for, that's a lot of bang for your buck. It's also great as far as versatility. Once you've got a frame, you can build up a super functional trail bike or FR monster. As mentioned before, the AC wasn't designed to be built or used as a FR rig. Plus, by what I've seen online over the years, Giant ACs seem to always die horrible deaths and consequently, I don't think they have as high a resale value. Something to maybe consider, even when pinching the pennies.

RideHard

Monkey
Apr 4, 2005
the dirt bag has a much better ride than the stinky

the ac is a nice rig, mybud rocks one and it stands up to abuse but NO drops to flat

WoodsRider11

Chimp
Jun 2, 2005
CT
yeah, i think im going to hold off and save up and buy a preston or something like that...i love the idea of fr strength with a short travel design.