Quantcast

which GPU?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
my new pc has an onboard gpu consisting of the Radeon xpress1250.

my old pc has an upgraded card (from stock at the time) consisting of a radeon x300seh 256mb pci-e card.

i can't find any actual comparisons and i really don't understand the gpu lingo so i'd be most stoked if one of you monkeys could help me decide on keeping the stock gpu or putting in the x300. i know the newer xpress 1250 is based off of the RS600 platform but that still doesn't help me. i mainly use this pc for gaming (COD series, Halo...) and the x300 worked great with stellar graphics. i just need to know if the 1250 is better.

here's a link to the specs of the x300

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx300/specs.html

i really can't find any specs info on the xpress 1250?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The x300, while being an older card, will probably kill the express something something. Newer =/= better, especially when it comes to the budget GPUs slapped onto mobos.

You already have it...why not just plug it in and go?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
ok, i'll give it a whirl. i just reloaded COD1 and it plays like ass with the stock gpu. i lost the driver disk for the x300 though but i should be able to find the drivers online right?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
my new pc has an onboard gpu consisting of the Radeon xpress1250.

my old pc has an upgraded card (from stock at the time) consisting of a radeon x300seh 256mb pci-e card.

i can't find any actual comparisons and i really don't understand the gpu lingo so i'd be most stoked if one of you monkeys could help me decide on keeping the stock gpu or putting in the x300. i know the newer xpress 1250 is based off of the RS600 platform but that still doesn't help me. i mainly use this pc for gaming (COD series, Halo...) and the x300 worked great with stellar graphics. i just need to know if the 1250 is better.

here's a link to the specs of the x300

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx300/specs.html

i really can't find any specs info on the xpress 1250?

Looking at a few benchmarks here and there they seem evenly matched. The 1250 may get you a few fps faster (depending on the game)

Download a benchmarking tool and test each one.

http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmark06/

3Dmark is good. It will give you the base score for each card. Higher is better.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
update: UPS just delivered this to my door...i can't wait to get home!

SAPPHIRE 100165L Radeon X1650PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Supported Video Card

some of the tech guys at work had just bought the same card for COD4 and loved it. i can play COD4 on my current x300 but all the graphics settings are at their lowest levels, they were playing everything full on w/ this x1650pro and it only cost $75 shipped :thumb: